Best racing games

Purkake

Hello,

So most of the millions of crappy console games are out and people are still picking over the rotting remains. I would like to take your mind away from the present and turn it towards the past. I ask you what are the best (older) racing games on the PC and which of those were also good in LAN? At the moment I got Flatout 2 and Carmageddon 2.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Purkake

hehe carmageddon sure has it's moments

my sister used to get really angry with me when i ran over dogs, but they made the funniest yelping noise!

Oh man, it was even worse when they got up on two legs and begged. And some of the missions were awful but wasting other cars was always fun. Yeah, good times...

Trackmania was really fun too.

I found one of those in the bargain bin for 9.95$ :*

I can't remember if it was that or another game, but the developer had a free version for download on their website.

Most of the fun racing games I know predates PC's (Commodore Amiga & 64) :p

Edit: I got Carmageddon 1 + Splat Pack & Carmageddon 2. Didn't like the second one so much, I really hated tbe introduction of "Missions"

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

We used to play an old racing game called Screamer 2 on the school computers back in the day. It would probably be very difficult to make it work on today's computers (especially with 3DFx support..), but it's a ton of fun in multiplayer over LAN! Meaty cars, brutal crashes, excellent engine sounds and a great sense of speed. Oh, and it supports split screen racing on one computer too, if you want to be able to elbow your opponent in real time :D

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Trackmania was really fun too.

I found one of those in the bargain bin for 9.95$ :*

I can't remember if it was that or another game, but the developer had a free version for download on their website.

Most of the fun racing games I know predates PC's (Commodore Amiga & 64) :p

Edit: I got Carmageddon 1 + Splat Pack & Carmageddon 2. Didn't like the second one so much, I really hated tbe introduction of "Missions"

Yup, there is a free version of Trackmania available as well, the names are way confusing, though.

The one I play the most is rFactor which is essentially a racing engine, that has an enormous mod community so theres every imagineable form of racing available to it. From Formula 1 to vintage 1930's raccars. Second is any Simbin game really, from GTR to STCC.

They all use fairly dated graphics so it should run on any PC. However, these are super-serious simulation games that takes some serious skill to play. Its awesome fun and really intense if you know what youre doing but I have a feeling youre not a simracer.

....thus, you must play mariokart. its the best and only arcade racing game you will ever need.

****ing_blue_shells.png

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The one I play the most is rFactor which is essentially a racing engine, that has an enormous mod community so theres every imagineable form of racing available to it. From Formula 1 to vintage 1930's raccars. Second is any Simbin game really, from GTR to STCC.

They all use fairly dated graphics so it should run on any PC. However, these are super-serious simulation games that takes some serious skill to play. Its awesome fun and really intense if you know what youre doing but I have a feeling youre not a simracer.

....thus, you must play mariokart. its the best and only arcade racing game you will ever need.

Mario Kart on PC? With emulators? I have Mario Kart on my DS and it's ok, but not that great. I was mainly asking because all the new racing games seem to either suck(New need for speed games)/require a computer from the future/be on consoles(burnout:paradise). I guess I like more arcady racing games, I don't want to have to change gears or worry that my carburator has a crack in its third valve. I do like damage to cars and interesting tracks.

Has anyone here played Flatout 2, it is really fun. Also, back in the DOS days there was this cool game called STUNTS, anyone remember that?

Edited by Purkake

Speaking of racing games, I like them to kill some time now and then. My last two were NFS: Most Wanted and NFS: Carbon. I really liked them both, and was looking for a similar experience. I checked out NFS: Pro Street, but the reviews say that it doesn't live up to the previous two titles. Anybody have some recommendations for something similar to what I'm looking for?

Edit: Single player, PC, and new racing games, that is :(

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Speaking of racing games, I like them to kill some time now and then. My last two were NFS: Most Wanted and NFS: Carbon. I really liked them both, and was looking for a similar experience. I checked out NFS: Pro Street, but the reviews say that it doesn't live up to the previous two titles. Anybody have some recommendations for something similar to what I'm looking for?

Undercover Just came out, the "story" is garbage, but it's got an open world element to it that people kinda liked

Burnout is always good

And if you have a ps3 Motorstorm is FUN!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'd say that Most Wanted was the last good, no make that decent Need For speed game. Carbon was crap IMO and it just went downhill from there. Undercover barely runs on my friend's computer and it feels like they just copied the console version. It is plagued by horrible unskippable cutscenes featuring Maggie Q and a pointless "open" world where you just drive around till you get bored and then press "tab" to get to the next race.

Well, Grid was pretty decent for a recent racing game. You can get the demo and check it out. I've also heard good things about Colin McRae games, but I never figured out which ones were the good ones...

Edited by Purkake

Edit: Single player, PC, and new racing games, that is >_<

Undercover Just came out, the "story" is garbage, but it's got an open world element to it that people kinda liked

Burnout is always good

And if you have a ps3 Motorstorm is FUN!

What I liked about Most Wanted (and yes, even Carbon) were the way races could get really intense and the inclusion of the police chases. In fact that's what I felt was missing most from Carbon, the emphasis on police chases. If Undercover has these two elements, I think I might pick it up.

No PS3.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Race Driver GRID. Great game.

Yes, Mkreku... You're learning :D.

GRID is one of the few racing games I like, and I generally hate racing games. It's just so much fun, it's easy to access, and plays really well... OMFG! I wish my copy wasn't scratched :(

I played GRID before codies hired me, and infact the Race Driver team decided not to hire me.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Hello,

So most of the millions of crappy console games are out and people are still picking over the rotting remains. I would like to take your mind away from the present and turn it towards the past. I ask you what are the best (older) racing games on the PC and which of those were also good in LAN? At the moment I got Flatout 2 and Carmageddon 2.

Thanks in advance!

Motocross Madness 2 is great fun in a LAN environment.