GameCube game recommendations

Morgoth

A working colleague of mine gave me his old Gamecube for free (funny little thing), so I'm wondering what titles you'd recommend me to play. Searching resulted that Eternal Darkness might just be exactly what I want. What about Resident Evil1 Remake and Res Zero? Are those any good? I already have Res4 for PC.

Any other western-focused games out there? No kids nonsense please. Thanks.

Western focused? That will throw Baten Kaitos out, unfortunately, and both Zeldas too, Tales of Symphonia as well... :rolleyes:

Soul Calibur 2 is great if you're into 1 on 1 beat'em'ups. Lost Kingdoms, if you like card battle games. Beyond good and evil, if it's not too childish in style. Ikaruga's a rather innovative side scrolling shooter that you can play with someone else. F Zero GX. Hm, that's about all I've tried out so far. Geist could probably be fun, but I got stuck at the first serious opponent (stupid hand granade throwing sonofa).

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

If you enjoy the series as a whole or just zombie shooting in general, Resident Evil Zero is a good enough choice. The peripheral curiosity on this one is the ability to switch between two characters for some co-op action and puzzle solving. All else is standard RE fare, with a bit more of a survival angle since item chests are gone, and you have to decide what items you should carry, discard and trade with your partner.

If you think that Zelda would qualify as childish then I pity your mortal soul, but passing on Wind Waker is a crime. Probably the best in the series, in part thanks to pretty much being the only Zelda to capture Myamoto's childlike dreams of exploration and wonder. A bit on the easy side, unfortunately, but charming if you're into it. And if you think it's childish, you might want to forget games like Pikmin and Paper Mario, but it's your loss.

Other than Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - quite good, and if you're willing to accept some of the contrived sanity effects it gets better - I'd recommend the following:

Metroid Prime - If you don't know about the series, it shares the same design principles as Zelda in regards to action and exploration, except you get a female bounty hunter clad in a space suit instead of a boy dressed as a fairy. While it's no Bioshock, it's still a top notch example of storytelling through player interactions and experiences. The sequel felt a bit more repetitive and not as interesting as the first, but still worth a go if you enjoy Prime.

Freedom Fighters - Campy, B-movie styled squad shooter. The Soviet Union grows unchecked past World War II and invades the old red, white, and blue. That's the lulz bit, so we're left with gameplay. It might seem like an average game at first - and unfortunately, there's something about it that never quite rises up to greatness - but the squad controls are very intuitive and the action is mostly non-stop. Basically, if GTA's world was smaller and more hedged in, focused on urban warfare and let you always keep a gang of fighters with you, this is how it would play.

007: Everything or Nothing - While most of them tend to be crap, it's actually one of the better Bond games. A good number of gadgets, fairly good use of cover, varied levels (about 30, if I remember correctly), and if you have an extra controller and a friend about, it's got some deathmacth thrown in as well.

Beyond Good and Evil - If you haven't played it on PC or other consoles, get it as soon as possible. One of the best adventure titles in recent years, with impeccable character design, actually good story and fairly seamless racing, action and adventure segments. You'll thank me later as merely buying a copy saves your soul from eternal damnation.

Ikaruga - Wonderful Treasure madness and fun in form of a deceptively simple shmup. You control a ship that can switch between white and black sides. One side is immune to bullets of its own color, and damages ships of the opposite color twice as much. You need to quickly adapt to the enemy waves, trying to balance out protection and killing enemies as fast as possible. If you want to forget all my other recomendations, at least get this one. And BG&E. But this is a must have.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - Reworked version of the original action/sneaking/emo MGS with some gameplay addition from MGS2, like hiding bodies in lockers. While it remains the same good old Snake with better graphics and nice bonuses, some of the cinematics are terribly overproduced to the point of parody. But if you can live with Snake blowing up a tank by flawlessly throwing a grenade through its piece a few meters away, then the rest won't bother you.

Prince of Persia - all three of them were released for the Cube and sport better graphics than the PS2 version, at least. All else is virtually the same.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast - Still one of the better SW games ever. But only play this if you never touched the PC version.

Viewtiful Joe - Both this and the sequel are great weird'em ups dressed as action platformers with combo systems, comic book visuals and frantic combat. Capcom at their finest. Just stay away from Red Hot Rumble.

I wish I could recommend you some racing games, but those were never my forte. Maybe someone else can, though.

Thanks Diogo. I guess I'm gonna pick up Metroid sometime as well. It just gives me these System Shock 1 vibes...

You're welcome :) But keep in mind Metroid Prime operates on a different level. The main similarites are being stranded on a god forsaken place, alone and against impossible odds. Both games require you to explore them and deal with entities in them, but at its core, MP is primarily an action game which requires more of your trigger finger and willingness to explore its confines in search of clues and new abilities. I think it's a good game, and one of the Gamecube's finest, but if you're not very familiar with it, I'd suggest looking around for some info and possibly gameplay videos to get a feel of what you should expect.

I think you should get over your aversion to childishness in video games and get Viewtiful Joe, Pikmin, Wind Waker, and Paper Mario 2. They're what the Gamecube is for.

Other wise you might like Rogue Squadron 2 and Timesplitters 2.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I think I said "No kids games please". This also includes beat'em ups and side scroller games.

Metroid gets ridicilous high scores, albeit looking...weird. I already played Beyong Good&Evil on PC. Hmm... I guess I'll stick with Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil then.

Metroid is good...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The Resident Evil remakes are pretty good, but can get a tad repetitive on the gameplay side once you gone through one. Also this is a Nintendo console. It is meant for kids. :p

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Gamecube has pleanty of decent stuff worth checking out, how "kiddy" they are depends on how "kiddy" you are... I see no problem with say Zelda through to Resident Evil, I've been wanting to get my hands on viewtiful joe for ages...

I'll probably give a Zelda game a try, although Wind Waker looks like crap. How is Dwilight Princess?

Oh god it has "Princess" in the title... I feel so embarrased now.

You'll need to play GoW after just so you can be all manly...

I see that Silicon Knights also made a Metal Gear Solid game. Is it good? Does it have gameplay, or is it just another cutscene-fest?

Twin Snakes is a combination of the first two solid games iirc, and for the first one (from the PS1) they added in physics bending cutscenes where snake borrows from Dante and rides a freaking missile. they redid the voice acting so it sounds different from the ps1 version (most fans prefer the ps1 version because it has among other things accents to the russian and english support characters)

:shrugs:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I received my games. It's not easy to come by these GC games these days. I got Resident Evil, Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness. Unfortunately, the AV cable seems to have a defect. The white audio channel doesn't work for whatever reason. Cut the Cinch plug open, but both signal cable and shield is properly connected, no short circuit either. Guess I'll have to play with a single channel till I get a new cable. Shall it be the left, or the right one?