What would be the dream KOTOR PC?

SD Nihil

Well it turns out my computer is too old to play KOTOR well without problems. I just had an independent tech come over an fix a problem with the ATI Catylist. I was exploring its control panel and I accidentally clicked tha autolasing 2x option. When I did so it froxe and the independdent tech had to fix it, but it really frightened me. It was a wake up call that this comptuer has troubles with updates in that it restarts when I even try to play KOTOR.

So I need a new computer. This old one wil simply be for internet, e-mail, storage(230GB hard drive), and pictures stuff. But I would like a computer that is made to run KOTOR. The independent tech suggested I call up Dell and ask them to build a computer to do this, and to tell them I want XP on it. Not Vista. I learned KOTOR doesn't work well with Vista.

So what I want is a pc that runs kotor, has xp, and please come up with the specs for the dream KOTOR 1-2 pc so I can tell Dell to build it. My max budget is 1500 dollars. Thanks.

sweaw2008-06-0711-55-23-01.jpg

Maybe you guys didn't see th above. Appareently my computer was around since 1999 and is so old it has problems with K1-2 and ATI. And with the recent scary problem and not being able to correct the driver issue even in safe mode and using a driver sweeper to get stuff out the independent tech suggested I get a computer from dell that has xp and plays KOTOR. So guys my max budget is 1500 dollars. So lets put togehter a dream KOTOR computer. This current computere I'm on right now will simply be used for e-mail, internet, and storage since it has a 230GB harddrive. Other than that the RA is so out of date and so is everything else.

So this new computer will be the game machine and this computer wil be the just normal stuff. I hope they get Vista to work with KOTOR 1-2 someday. But anyway, let's build that dream KOTOR comptuer. Let's come up with specs and tell me. I'll in a few months call up Dell, give them the specs, and you guys if there is any configurations you say I should do great. I would like the video card to be a NVIDA since that is what works best with it correct? Thanks.

I think you might have a greater chance of getting tech suggestions here amongst the tech enthusiasts.

Moved to Skeeters place.

For what it is worth, my Kotor 1 & 2 works on a 64 bit Vista, although it gives a few hiccups every now and then (especially when transitioning between the Bink video player and the normal game rendering).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well I purchased a new desktop about 1-2 years ago that runs everything really well. Keep in mind that I only bought a new tower, and the total cost was about $1000 AUD. Anyway the specs for mine are

- AMD 6000+ CPU (twin 3.0GHz cores)

- 3GB DDR2800 RAM

- 160GB SATA Hard-drive

- 250GB IDE Hard-drive

- Pioneer DVD Burner

- Gigabyte M-61 Motherboard

- Gigabyte GeForce 8500GT

- Coolermaster Elite Tower with an extra fan

- Windows XP Pro

Now the key weakness I have is my graphics card. Now it can run most games on the highest settings (whilst it's an 8500GT, it's also tweaked for better performance), but the rest of the system runs beautifully.

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

Darth_Windu is that a NVIDA card? Also, you said its good on performance, but not on graphics. Will it still allow for the max graphic options in K1-2? What's the sound card is it good? I do have EaW/FoC will they work on it? Is that AMD Processor better than a Pentium 4? Because sometimes in EaW when you get up to a high capacity level of units you build in hte galaxy map it gets sluggish on my computer. I was told it was because I have a P4 processor and that I should have better for it to not be so slow.

In the future when it comes out I wil also want to put Starcraft 2 on a pc to play it. Wil this computer allow for it or wil that mean a different card? See how it can be a compatibility issue. Because a newer card that runs Starcraft 2, but too new to play K1-2 right? See I'm trying to seek that balance if I can.

$1500 are very easily enough for a PC that runs KOTOR. If KOTOR needs old hardware / drivers to run at all, it is highly likely that you won't be able to run Starcraft 2, mainly because it will be much newer than your drivers. I still think KOTOR would run with newer hardware and drivers, see Gorth's post above.

Yes, the card is an nVidia. Yes, AMD processors are faster than P4. But currently, Intel's Core2Duo range is the preferred choice for most gamers, because they're in turn faster than the AMD processors.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well I'm asking you guys because this is the forum of the makers of a game that has made by them. So they would know what is compatible and works well with their game. Okay maybe an intel core duo. I was told to run EaW well it should be an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. It should be able to have an dvd/cd drive, and Flash Drive. I'd like to play K1-2, and EaW, but if Starcraft 2 would be too new for it, what would you suggest I do? Will starcraft 2 be on a console or something?

Well I run KotOR1 and 2, plus EaW/FoC at the highest graphics settings without any slow down. It's not that my system is bad on graphics, it's just the weakest point of the system.

I don't actually have a sound card, it runs through the motherboard. Now with the motherboard I have, it also has an in-build graphics card (I chose it so I could still run my system if my card died), but you can also get ones that support SLI which allows the use of twin graphics cards.

BUT even with just the single 8500GT (which yes is nVidia, I detest ATi cards, their drives are absolutely horrible) I play Oblivion and 'World in Conflict' on the highest graphics settings and rarely have a slowdown. Oblivion does have a few issues in the wilderness, but within cities and whatnot it runs perfectly.

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

Nvidia 9500GT PCIE graphic Card

Cheapest Core 2 Duo you can find

2 gigs of Ram

And get a motherboard no older then the P965 intel chipset.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Id just use the onbaord sound since your graphic card and CPU will demolish this game easily.

If you really want to spend the whole $1500 Then I can help you out there, or Mkreku, bok or Kaftan will give you some valuable advice too im sure if you asked.

Is that card you have graphics wise better than an ATI 9550? Yeah I hate ATI now. I never had these problems, even with my old NVIDA GeForce MX 420. lol. The ATI card was what I was given by the tech to replace the old NVIDA. He didn't know, and I didn't know at the time that K1-2 work better with NVIDAs. So this SLI is something that will allow me to have two cards, and allow me to play Starcraft 2, and my older K1-2, and Eaw/FoC on the same computer? Wow. Cool. Of course though, when I get it, I'll need some directions, or something to help me to know what I'm doing directions wise with the drivers. Since this sounds like it might be complicated having two video cards. I'm not even sure how that would work. lol. But yeah since I told you I have one eye, other is prosthetic, I don't need it to be high resolution. I usually play on 800x 600 resolution since that's the biggest you can do on these cards. And with my Zoomtext it when you update a driver it tells you it needs to disable secondary display settings to use primary and use the zoomtext. Hey it worked on this computer. I'm sure it will hre. Secondary I believe is the computer's HD capability.

Okay, so at this point we have down a Intel Core Duo, flash drive, dved/cd drive,and all your specs sound great.

But from what I can tell you guys are saying the RAM, processor, and hard drive space don't matter as much to run K1-2, but the video card and OS are what matters right?

I've got the feeling I'm on his ignore-list :) Anyway, I'll keep trying.

So:

Yes, the nVidia 9500GT is leagues above the ATI 9550. In my experience, I had a lot of troubles with both nVidia and ATI drivers, and some blissful times with no problems whatsoever with cards of both of them. But if you want to stick to nVidia, that's no problem. Both have fine offers for similar prices right now.

What would you need a flash drive for?

SLI would allow you to couple two graphics cards for higher speed, yes. I'd definitely not recommend it to someone not too keen on fiddling with settings to find the optimal gameplay with SLI. For some games it may be counter productive anyway. Look at it that way: For the money you'd spend on a SLI-enabled motherboard and two 9500GT to couple them to a SLI system, you'd get one normal motherboard plus a 9800GTX+ that has consistently a higher speed with a lot less hassles.

Edited by samm

Let me make sure I got this straight. Your not recommending I get the SLI due to the fact yes I am worried about messing something up. But what your saying is SLI would be the way to go to play Starcraft 2, and EaW/FoC, and K1-2 on the same computer? Well that's good that the card your speaking of is ages better than mine. Yes I can hear you. I don't have you on any ignore list. lol. It can get a little technical, and I simply like to be able to when I call up Dell and tell them to build something I[d like to be able to say okay here's what I want the computer to be, this this, da da, and also have this. The flash drive is for the fact I use flash drives and cd-rw discs to store mods, programs, info, and other stuff.

If you're going Core 2 Duo, I'd recommend the 8-series, like the E 8400, and not the older 6-series anymore, because the latter use a bit more power while being a bit slower hertz by hertz.

I'm not recommending SLI, because - unless you go very high end (say GTX 280) - you can always get the same speed for about the same money you spend on two slower graphics card, just with one more powerful graphics card, and then you don't have to worry about compatibility, inconsistent performance, microstuttering, SLI-related driver problems etc.

However, I'm not the best person to talk about this, better ask Kaftan (who had SLI and thought it wasn't really rewarding iirc) or Bokishi (who has triple SLI and I think he's happy with it).

The flash drive is for the fact I use flash drives and cd-rw discs to store mods, programs, info, and other stuff.

So with flash drives you mean these card readers for flash cards used in digital cameras, mp3 players etc., or hard disk replacements? If you mean these card readers, be sure not to tell Dell to implement a flash drive, but a card reader of your preferred format, because the term "flash drive" could be understood as these new hard disk replacements. If you were talking about that anyway, then I'm sorry for misunderstanding ;)

Edited by samm

So far we've come up with:

Processor: Intel Core Duo E 8400(or something in the 8 series)

3 GB RAM

I have no idea what you said with regard to the other stuff you wrote. lol. But yeah the flash drive I use for storing mods, files, info like passwords, etc. It's just a storage medium. They are so cool. I never knew you could use them to store so much.I thought zip drives held a lot, but wow these flash drives I guess are the future of storange that is mobile right? Wow they rock.

But for Starcraft 2 you saying that is really high end and the card you recommended, which one was the not very high end one. There were two you were speaking of. You said though it was not the really high end one that it still was ages better than my current card. And, is this really high end card the other one, what I would need to play Starcraft 2?

Well I also think SLI degrades the performance of KotOR's 1 and 2... not sure since I don't use SLI. Anyway it's not hard to build a computer that can play those games easily. What I tend to do, and you'll see when you look at my specs, is that I future-proof my PC. In other words, get the top-of-the-line CPU, motherboard, case, and to an extend hard-drive. RAM, Graphics cards, and extra hard-drives can easily be installed and replaced later on, whilst DVD-burners aren't that expensive so get a good one of those as well.

As for RAM, how much depends on what operating system you go for. If you choose Windows XP, use 3GB. If you choose Windows Vista, go for 4GB.

TSLRP Closed Beta Tester

Sorry for the double post, but I saw a few posts earlier I didn't see before. So I have modified my specs I liked from what I heard:

Processor: Intel Core Duo E 8400(or something in the 8 series)

3 GB RAM

Nvidia 9500GT PCIE graphic Card

Good Hard Drive(i.e Coolermaster Elite Tower with an extra fan)

Pioneer DVD Burner

Flash Drive

Gigabyte M-61 Motherboard

XP Pro(till Vista gets fixed)

So the sound can come from the CPU and graphics card. Never knew that. My computer has a base box thing. It can make a little boom with the sound when I was able to play EaW. It really leped to add to the experience. Is this something that these computers just come with? Base amplifier I think is what it is. Anyway, will the mentioned graphics card in this specs in this post also run Starcraft 2? I know it will run K1-2, and EaW/Foc because you guys play those. Other than that, the monitor should be a flat panel and I currently have a 19 inch. I would like a 21 inch. Do different types of flat panels matter? Or are they all good with filtering glare?

Like I said 1500 is the max limit to spend. Meaning I'd like not to spend more than 1500.

$1500 to run KotOR? Uh, OK.. Overkill is the word that comes to mind. Anyhow!

I did a quick build at Newegg.com that I know will work with KotOR.. (and Starcraft 2.. and Crysis..):

$165: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037

$175: eVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188026

$55: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM 800 MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145184

$245: eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130400

$110: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152102

$130: Antec Sonata III case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129024

=

$880 - $60 mail-in rebate: $820 total.

Since you seem to prefer Nvidia, I chose the best card for the money and a trusted brand for the GPU among Nvidia's offers. The motherboard is also Nvidia based so you get the SLI support. You could easily up the performance by 50-80% by adding another (exactly alike) GPU. You'd still be way below $1500, even though you'd need to switch the PSU (and, subsequently, case) to a stronger one.

Another way of adding more performance is to buy faster RAM. Go with a 1066 MHz pair instead of the 800 MHz I provided in my example and you'll get slightly more performance. Not really worth the price difference though. No use buying 3 GB, even though XP doesn't support more than 3 GB. Price difference isn't worth it and you may want to switch OS at a later time.

Yet another way of adding more performance in a more general way is to add another (exactly alike) hard drive and RAID them. Lots of choices, really, when you have a $1500 budget.

Still.. this would get you started. The CPU (which you had already found yourself) and GPU are solid choices at least, according to your criteria.

PS. The DVD burner is like $30 and a card reader even less so I didn't bother to add them into the equation.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So the sound can come from the CPU and graphics card. Never knew that. My computer has a base box thing. It can make a little boom with the sound when I was able to play EaW. It really leped to add to the experience. Is this something that these computers just come with? Base amplifier I think is what it is.
The sound can come from the mainboard, not the CPU. It can then be fed into some newer graphics cards, if you want to use the speakers of your monitor, if said monitor has a so called HDMI input. But from what you write, you need not bother trying to get sound of your graphics card, because you'll use separate boxes. The bass thing is called subwoofer by the way ;)

Speaking of mainboard: The Gigabyte M61 is for AMD processors (if google tells the truth there are only M61 boards for socket AM2), also, it's about two years old. It will not work with your processor, so don't go for that mainboard!

I hear the ASUS P5Q is often recommended for the newer Intels. Can anyone here confirm this?

Anyway, will the mentioned graphics card in this specs in this post also run Starcraft 2? I know it will run K1-2, and EaW/Foc because you guys play those.

The system requirements aren't official yet. Here's what I found - you'd meet the criteria. I think the official requirement won't differ too much, Blizzard has in their games so far never used high end hardware as requirement.

I would like a 21 inch. Do different types of flat panels matter? Or are they all good with filtering glare?
No, they're not all good at that. I recommend reading some reviews (check some price comparison website to dig up screens that interest you, then google for <screenname> review), or even better, check them out at a store to see for yourself.

Don't forget to add a good power supply to your buy-list! It should have a brand name and about 500 W, then your definitely on the safe side.

Still, this thing about the flash drive kind of feels strange: What do you mean by "flash drive"? Is it this something you can put flash cards in, write on them or read from them, and take them out again, like a floppy drive just for SD-cards or something? Or is it more like a hard drive, residing inside your computer hooked directly to the mainboard and not accessible from the outside?

Edited by samm

I'm confused. The OP says he's got a budget of $1500, which is very reasonable when it comes to a new computer. And still he gets recommended stuff like a 9500GT.

I'm sure that's a nice budget card and all, but he doesn't need a budget card to stay in budget.

I'd build something like this:

Radeon 4850 - $135 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102770 )

Intel E8400 - $165 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037 )

4 GB Corsair DDR2 800 - $39 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145194 )

A decent intel motherboard - roughly $200 (I'm too lazy to check for a specific one). I'd go for one with Crossfire capabilities. Also one with ddr2/ddr3 combo could be nice if you want to be able to upgrade.

Maybe something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128351 @132.99 (I don't know if it's good though, I'm not all that into the loop on motherboards, but it is better than the two year old one you have listed previously, that I'm sure of).

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD - $109 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152102 )

A decent case with a built in PSU - roughly $200 (something like this I suppose: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119183, I'm sure there are better ones, just get a 650w PSU or higher)

That would land us on 848:-

Monitor:

SAMSUNG T220 - $299:- ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001273 )

So we're at $1147.

If you need to buy another copy of XP (ie you don't have one already you can use), this configuration might break your budget. Newegg has the OEM version for $139, so with that you should probably be able to get a dvd-burner and a flashdrive (I'm guessing a flash card reader here and not a SSD? If you want a SSD things will be quite differently and your budget'll fall through. And it's not worth it). If you spend more than $200 on those together, you're spending too much.

I went for 4GB RAM because it's ridiculously cheap and because XP can use all 4. It claims it only recognizes 3.5 (or so) but it does use the rest as well.

Don't skimp out on the motherboard. Although this specific time might be an exception. Normally the mb lasts you the longest, but with the next generation of processors being upon us, you won't be upgrading the processor on this MB. Also, don't skimp on the case. That'll probably last you longer than the MB even.

The above listing includes some mail-in rebates at newegg. But if you go for the MB I used as an example I think you'll still end up lower in case the mail in thing isn't your cup of tea (not sure how that works).

Edit: Or just go with what Mkreku recommended. It's basically the same thing, just Nvidia-based instead of ATI-based.

Edited by Spider

Don't the specs I made in my last post reflect planning for the future in that those are newer devices(more top of line)? Also, why have multiple hard drives that big? I never knew you should have 3GB RAM on XP. I only have 1GB. lol. Does it matter if I got with Home or Pro? I currently have Pro. As for monitors I'd like to do a 21inch. Would you happen to know, what flat panels are best against glare? Do you think Dell will be enclined to when building the computer, to put XP in even though its a past OS?

There are already games out there that benefit from 8 gigs of ram. With vista 64, you can have that much. It's wise to try and think a little ahead too. Given the prices and the available modules you might as well get two 2 gig sticks.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm confused. The OP says he's got a budget of $1500, which is very reasonable when it comes to a new computer. And still he gets recommended stuff like a 9500GT.

(...)

Edit: Or just go with what Mkreku recommended. It's basically the same thing, just Nvidia-based instead of ATI-based.

He doesn't get recommended a 9500GT, that was his own idea ;) I did recommend a 9800GTX+ because he thought about 9500 SLI and didn't want ATI. Though probably even a GTX 260 would be in the budget. [edit]Yes it is, see mkreku's post.

SD Nihil: There are monitors which are specified "anti-glare". I suppose that's what you're looking for. About the OS: If you already own XP Pro, it doesn't make sense going XP Home - Pro has more features than Home. The problem is, if you don't want to install your OS yourself but let Dell do it, they'll sell you a new copy of XP even if you already have one. They won't deny your wish for XP however, because I think you're not their only customer preferring XP over Vista. And while it does make sense in certain configurations to have multiple hard drives, I don't see people recommending you multiple.

Gorgon: He specifically wanted a computer to run KOTOR. He claims that Vista causes trouble (which I can't verify, I'm still on XP), so it's natural to continue on XP.

Edited by samm

Guys I thought you said SLI was a little too complicated for someone like me who is scared of messing up a ivdeo card with the drivers like I did with the old 1999 computer. But yes my plan is to be able to have a computer that plays K-2, EaW/FoC, and Starcraft. And guys this is very technical stuff. I don't know all tha much about all these cards and this techno langauge for this item or that. Plus with all the different suggestions of specs for me do do is overwhelming. I know little about tis stuff.

I just want to be able to have a new computer that can play K1-2, EaW/FoC, and Starcraft 2 and to be able to strike a balance with all of those. I understand for Starcraft 2 they've yet to release the specs for that I just want to make sure I can be able to play Starcraft 2 and also these older games. But guys I know little about this stuff. I'm not sure if or what never cards are too new to play KOTOR and what ones are too old to play Starcraft 2. You guys seem to know. The names of these specs I know little about the jargen.

I would like you guys to come to a concensus please because all these different ideas I don't know what to choose becaue I don't know a heck of a lot about it as you guys do. I when I was really young I had an old 486, then a Pentium 2 Win 98, and now this XP Pro P4. So I've obvously know less than you guys. So please let's come to a concensus. As for th sound card stuff I'll just trust you guys know it will be good sound in whatever part it is produced from.Why is Dell not good for coming up with a 21inch monitor? And to others, its not that I'm trying to spend 1500. It's that that's the max I'm wiling to spend. Meaning 1500 is the limit. Anything less than 1500 would be great or that. I'm jut giving you guys what my limit would be. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the suggestions I just don't know what all of the specs and stuff mean. lol.

Ok, here's the consensus so far:

Me and Spider and Samm agree on the processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.

Me and Spider agree on the hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB.

Me and Spider agree on the memory sticks: 2x2 GB Corsair 800MHz RAM.

Me and Samm agree on the video card: Geforce 260 Core 216 (I suggested eVGA as the brand to buy).

The motherboard is always the most difficult part to choose so I suspect we won't come to a consensus on that one. But you want an Nvidia video card, so make sure you choose an Nvidia based motherboard too, if you want to use SLI (which is not as complicated as it sounds).

The computer case is a matter of taste. Do you like lots of blue neon lights? Go with Spider's suggestion. Do you like more discrete computer cases? Go with my suggestion. The most important part of the case is the power supply (PSU) unit anyhow. Just make sure it's at least 500W strong and from a trusted brand and you'll be fine.

The DVD burner/card reader doesn't matter into the equation. They're all basically the same so you can't go wrong with those.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What is 500W, discret cases, and when I look at my monitor from the side yeah it does fade out so I don't see it from side to side. So I guess that's what I like. So that would be your suggestion which was? Also, the memory sticks thing was that the kind of flash drive or are those recommendations for the flash drive sticks to use in a flash drive? And to make sure we do have a concensus on the RAM right. 3GB for XP and 4 for Vista. For XP should I do a 32 or 64 bit XP? I heard something though that older games have some difficulty on a 64 bit XP, but I simply heard that on komando.com's radio show. But if not what's your opinion on that?