Developer Diary video

I actualy got a boner watching the vid. :)

And geezues, look at MCA. He seems like he lost ALOT of weight and look so much older. The stress from AP seems to get him completely.

It's on Gametrailers in HD too!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43180.html

Chris Avellone looks better in HD.

Enough with the dancing clown.

After watching it again and again I noticed a few things that I dislike:

The weakest part was lip-syncing.

The graphics on the environment are great but the characters are not that good.

At 1:54 Michael stands in the middle of the fight (and I assume there are more enemies in other directions) without taking cover and kills the terrorist with no problem.

At 0:56 he beats the crap out of that guard but at very single punch the blood starts to flow. It isn't realistic, maybe after a few kicks it's okay but not after each one.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

After watching it again and again I noticed a few things that I dislike:

The weakest part was lip-syncing.

The graphics on the environment are great but the characters are not that good.

At 1:54 Michael stands in the middle of the fight (and I assume there are more enemies in other directions) without taking cover and kills the terrorist with no problem.

At 0:56 he beats the crap out of that guard but at very single punch the blood starts to flow. It isn't realistic, maybe after a few kicks it's okay but not after each one.

Why could there not be blood flying after every punch?

ok a few drops are fine but you can see the guard leaving behind much more blood than that... it needs to be adjusted.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Those little dip**** things don't bother me at all. If the game's fun, I tend not to think about small glitches at all.

The facial animations and especially lip synching needs work though. It would bother me almost as much as if they had put Oblivion style lockpick minigames in it :lol:

I suspect it is outtakes from work in progress, but it looks like a badly dubbed Hong Kong karate movie (the lip synching).

Some actual dialogue choices would have been nice to see :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wasn't just the facial animation that needs work. I also think the facial texture is to smooth and clean. Yeah, Michael Thorton is a young guy, but I think he should look a little rougher. And it would bring more life to it to.

(offtopic: by the way; is it just me or does Michael look a little different from earlier screenshots then to later ones?)

What's likely the case is that the screenshots we've seen of Thorton with rougher skin / stubble / the like are parts of the game that have been finished before the rest of the game, as eye candy for game journalists and promo screenshots. Even though the rest of the game isn't complete, the part of the game in which you confront the arabian arms dealer is done. The "before" screenshots are ostensibly what Obs is going for in the finished product.

I've been a member of the GT community for a while now and I sorta made a promo blog for AP, mostly using screenshots from Gamespot and the Dev Diary from over there, I made the blog before GT uploaded the Dev Diary themselves.

I got a lot of positive responses from the friends I made there, and a very negative one from a user called THEFAGNIGGER, so excuse me if I don't bother to take him too seriously.

I'm not worried about the lip-sync, I've seen Demos of games released one week prior to the game release and the lip-sync was night and day, missing everything on the Demo and hitting every single letter in the game itself.

I like the fact that Obs tried to make the game look familiar to the gaming public. Showing the video to a lot of friends they kept saying how this reminded them of MGS4 and that of Splinter Cell etc.

I would like to see Mike with a little more fuzz on his chin and a grittier complexion, somewhere near Edward Carnby's facial complexion in the latest Alone in the Dark installment, but a lot of other faces where really nicely done.

I am looking forward to seeing the dialogue mechanics and the skill system.

I hope AP will have the impact of ME to the gaming community as a whole, but I seriously believe that it's gonna be a better game.

With that name, he's definitely just a troll. where are his posts by the way?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The GT community as a whole is pretty degenerate, IMO. Certainly there are intelligent people there (after all, it is IMO one of the best review sites out there), but they tend to be drowned out by mindless chanting.

Still an awesome site because of the aforementioned and having, well, game trailers.

Ouch, Avellone looks really torn in the video, while the rest look like they always had the last 10 years or so.

The game itself looks like it is at a stage where the basic mechanics are implemented and working, but it is still very unpolished in terms of production values. There's alot of fine tuning left, like lip-sync, general facial animations (everybody seems to lack any form of expression) and combat.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

heh, arguably all of Obsidian's previously released titles *still* need fine tuning. It is possible that they'll turn their reputation around with AP and deliver a mirror-sheen level of polish, but given how ambitious the core concept is I kind of doubt it.

Got that right. :lol: Still, some of the best RPG's that I played were released in a bugged state (both Fallouts, Planescape, Vampire: Bloodlines, KOTOR 2...), so I'm not really worried. I guess you can't have it all. :)

Edited by SpaceAlex

You guys really shouldn't even be talking about bugs until you've been a fan of the Gothic series for a few years.. :/

I think Daggerfall had more bugs than all the Gothic games put together. >_

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You guys really shouldn't even be talking about bugs until you've been a fan of the Gothic series for a few years.. :/

I think Daggerfall had more bugs than all the Gothic games put together. :lol:

Did any of them had more than NWN on release, though?

It'd be nice to have a relatively bug-free game at launch, and I think it would be good for Obsidian's image, too. I guess they're working as hard as they can. On the other hand, I wouldn't want them to be less ambitious in terms of what the game will do.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)