NWN2: Storm of Zehir is out!

SteveThaiBinh

Is this likely to be comprehensively patched anytime soon? I'm picking it up in a week or so.

Cheers

MC

am also waiting. am interested in the trading feature, but it sounds as if this feature suffers from many irritating bugs, and as Gromnir is currently in full curmudgeon mode, we would like to avoid frustration. from perusing boards. beyond the trading aspects of the game it sounds as if there is some strange ai issues, and the cohorts suffer from a wide array o' problems ranging from incorrect/missing feat allocation to inability to progress as spell caters.

with pc games Gromnir is always a bit more understanding o' initial performance related bugs, 'cause it is impossible to test game on every pc config, but the bugs that is being most often lamented regarding soz is Not performance... is lack o' diligence kinda bugs. anybody who plays soz all-the-way-through is gonna notice some o' the reported bugs, so it boggles the mind how such things could be so easily missed by obsidian/atari. am not intimately familiar with the pc game quality control process, but am always curious how developers can allow such stuff to go unnoticed.

in any event, am glad we held off from day 1 purchase. would like to play soz in something other than beta form.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I uninstalled it and traded it for X3 instead. Best choice ever.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't like it quite as much as MotB, but they're such different experiences that it's hard to directly compare them. Personally I tend to enjoy the MotB style of games a bit more, but I'm also really liking SoZ. I just started up my 3rd playthrough.

Overall difficulty could've been pushed up further I think. There are some pretty good encounters here and there though. I wish there were more along the difficulty of the final boss, that's the best fight I've had a in a long time in a cRPG. It's about that level I want "special encounters" to be at.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

SOZ, quite frankly, is one of the most dissapointing and worst games I have ever played. It's POR2 level bad, imo, and I say that actually liking the general gameplay of NWN2. They finally get a detah system I can love, and its ruined by some of the easiest bland combat ever. Not to mention the dungeons in a 'dungeon crawler' are no bigger than my small rl apartment and with less rooms...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Really love-hate for this one, I see.

I'll probably succumb and buy anyway, around next month.

I really WANT to stick with NWN2. However, SoZ is right up there with Far Cry 2 in giving me quite a dissappointing feeling. I will see what happens. My intuition tells me that all of these shortcomings should have been solved by now - particularly in the engine for maximum performance with modern specs. Load times, shotty camera movements, lack of multi-core support etc. I just don't see how it can compete with whats out now. Like I said, I will stick to it with some patience. My hopes were tied to having a great single player experience which, in turn, propelled me to an immersive PW experience. Something that I enjoyed wtih NWN 1. Seems to have been left behind I fear.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

~President Merkin Muffley

I played through SoZ something that I couldn't find myself doing with MotB (mostly due to the fact that the combat was so sickening unchallenging). I like the concept of SoZ, I found the few challenging encounters fun! But if I ever find the time I would love to mod it, so much of the possible fun is never realized. To improve it I would:

1. All towns/inns (crossroad keep, nevervinter etcetera..) gets a picture and a dialogue box.

The dialogue box allows you can do all the quests/crafting/resting and talking directly via the interface. This allows the game to change the descriptions, via texts, of the towns, as the story progress, in a much better and detailed manner than the very limited and time consuming construction of actual game environments. And cuts the amount of loading screens....

2. Allow quicktravel via a travel dialogue to discovered mapnodes.

This alone would save the player from almost 50% of the loading. Now, NOT allowing quicktravel is a tool for making some areas of the map HARDER and more interesting.

3. Use the rumor dialogue in inns and citys to generate unique encounters/findings on the overland map.

4. Overland map:

a. Cut the amount of roaming no-name monster groups by 85%.

b. Place the wandering monsters in a more logical manner. No more skeletons right outside of a city or 6 wandering hoards of orcs and a couple of elementals just outside NeverWinter city.

c. Make the random encounters MUCH, MUCH harder I would say +200-300% and make the arena for the battle much, much larger. If the player sneak up on the monsters or vice verse allow some tactical advantage. The good parts of any NWN-game or expansion have always been the few HARD battles you get. What I

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

d. More named and unique random monster hoards, there is ONE in the original game, and quests for finding said named monsters. I want to be able to via skills checks look for encounters

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Those are good suggestions Soda and would fit well with the direction of the game. I think cutting 85% of the random encounters would be a bit much for my taste, but I agree that they could be made a lot harder. It would've been neat to see SoZ as a full-on game, there's a lot that could be done with it and it's already quite big for being an expansion.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Not important

What the hell? You live like next door to me! SCARY.

Mmm. And no, even though you where here first, I will not leave.

Edited by Soda

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

Back to the matter at hand..

I believe the RPG-purists needs to play SoZ and see the game for what it is before they start foaming around the mouth and screaming for my infidel head on a plate. Even though we live next door that is.

SoZ is like Sim-RPG more then a story-rpg alla bioware. Like it or not. My suggestions where aimed at making the good parts of SoZ better.

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

If one of your would live where I live, Id have to kill you pre-emptively I think just to avoid the 3am knock on the door "what the hell did you just post about my cousin!?" enraged visit.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"Back to the matter at hand..

I believe the RPG-purists needs to play SoZ and see the game for what it is before they start foaming around the mouth and screaming for my infidel head on a plate. Even though we live next door that is.

SoZ is like Sim-RPG more then a story-rpg alla bioware. Like it or not. My suggestions where aimed at making the good parts of SoZ better."

Trust me. I know exactly what kind of game SOZ was gonna be. I'v ebeen playing D&D for years - dungeon crawls/exploration adventures is the base of many a D&D campaign. The problem witH SOZ is it does this so poorly to make me sad. This is unlike MOTB which has its goals, and hits a homerun. This is why IWD was a good game. It had its goals, and hit the homer. Same with the Gb games which were mostly just excuses to kill monsters, collect ph@t lewt, and level your party yet they were done so well; they were very good games in their own right.

Poor SOZ is *not* misunderstood. At least not by me. Just vehemently disliked.. while, MOTB is awesome.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hmm it seem Storm of Zehir broke my MoTB game.. There are some areas which are missing, like a stairway in a particular level - I didn't notice it until now, but it seems I can't continue the game because of it..

Fortune favors the bald.

Hmm it seem Storm of Zehir broke my MoTB game.. There are some areas which are missing, like a stairway in a particular level - I didn't notice it until now, but it seems I can't continue the game because of it..

Did you get the (massive) patch? I know SoZ broke the voices for MotB, but I didn't realise there were other issues.

I'm a few hours into the game, and loving it so far. No bugs yet, and the death system and random encounters do feel a bit like Baldur's Gate (that's a good thing). :wub:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Did you get the (massive) patch? I know SoZ broke the voices for MotB, but I didn't realise there were other issues.

I'm a few hours into the game, and loving it so far. No bugs yet, and the death system and random encounters do feel a bit like Baldur's Gate (that's a good thing). :)

Yeah the massive patch fixed alot of problems, but not this one.

I'm at the Thayan acadamy and the staircase to the instructors area is simply gone - there's just an open door that leads to a dark room which I can't enter - Twilight zone'ish.. I need to go down there to continue the main story, so now I'm stuck.

Fortune favors the bald.