History books

Trenitay

Im looking for an interesting, good book to read. Has to have some historical value. Thanks for any reccomendations.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

"History" is a pretty broad definition :wacko:

Ancient history, Chinese history, military history, socio-economic history, religious history, recent world history, forum history?...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Alright, it can cover anything in History from Alexander the Great to the Great Depression and anything in between. It can be fiction or non-fiction as long as it is accurate or can teach you something about History. Some examples I cant use are Ivanhoe, A stillness at Appomattox, the Grapes of wrath, or A peoples History of the United States. I can also use autobiography's.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

The Killer Angels by Jeff Sharra

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Founding Brothers (Joseph J Ellis)

John Adams (Page Smith) & (David McCullough)

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (The History) (Gibbon)

The History (Herodotus)

History of the Peloponnesian War (Thucydides)

War Letters (can't remember the eidtor, but the letters are all recorded, colloquialisms, typos, misspellings and all)

A History of the English-Speaking Peoples (Winston Churchill)

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)

This is a good list. Keep in mind that all histories are written from the peculiar perspective of the historian. For example, like most Christians, I take issue with Gibbons on several points, but it's an important work by an excellent scholar.

Gaius Suetonius Tranquilius: "De Vita Caesarum"

Gerd von Rundstedt: "Lost Victories"

Thucydides: "The History of the Peolponnesian War"

Barbara W. Tucman: "The Guns of August"

Meh, lots available... :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Three Kingdoms Attributed to Luo Guangzhong (I think thats how to spell his name) Also goes by Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Try for the Moss Roberts translation.

It's somewhat accurate but does throw in a few fictional stories (fortunatly they left out the story of Zhang Yun being killed by being poked by his wifes needle)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Simple: The Psychology of Military Incompetence by Norman F. Dixon. It's funny, informative, historical, and scientific. Scoff it down.

Failing that The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.