GTA IV

Rosbjerg

Have any of you seen the system requirements for the PC version?

Crysis just got dwarfed!

Linky

Recommended System Requirements

* OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz

* Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)

* 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space

* Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Fortune favors the bald.

Finally my Q6600 will be up to the test :p

But 18GB?! Holy uncompressed audio/textures-batman!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And this for a game that looks like its from 2001... and that fits on a single 8.5gb xbox 360 disc. And no, I played the PS3 version too and it was just as ugly.

gta4.jpg

Although its definently possible that the 18gb of the PC version is because it uses much higher quality textures, sound, video etc.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And this for a game that looks like its from 2001... and that fits on a single 8.5gb xbox 360 disc. And no, I played the PS3 version too and it was just as ugly.

gta4.jpg

Although its definently possible that the 18gb of the PC version is because it uses much higher quality textures, sound, video etc.

that picture confuses me. The background is from San Andreas. :p

I wonder how much an advantage a quad core will be? I know the XBOX has a tricore set up plus a ati graphic chip set up. I only have a dual core and a 8800GT set up. I want to see some benchies. If they are significant i just might get a quad core set up next time i do my phase 2 upgrade!

gta4.jpg

*sigh* That ain't GTA 4.

Really though the larger an open world city the less fidelity you can have, simple fact really.

The PC version will just be an uncompressed dump of the Xbox disk from an asset perspective.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Someone either did an extraordinarily bad job of optimizing the game for the PC or they've completely retooled the graphics, because I cannot see anything spectacular in these screenshots:

grand-theft-auto-iv-screenshots-20070329032013239_640w.jpg

GTAIV_in-game_screenshot.png

4361-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg

4316-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg

4102gta4screenshot_2.jpg

Looks -more or less- on par with some games that were released in 2001. :p

return_to_castle_wolfenstein_bemutato_04.jpg

177306.jpeg

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You're missing an important requirement:

Willingness to play a craptacular game: High

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm sorry but those screenshot comparisons are useless.

Oh, and in another thread Kaftan claimed Saint's Row 2 ripped off GTAIV, when in fact the SR series very much followed on from what was in San Andreas, so it would make sense that what he thought was GTAIV was actually a SA mod. Ha!

Oh, and it baffles me that folks on a forum like this can be such huge graphics whores.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I really do not care about graphics that much, but when requirements like those are posted there better be a damned good reason besides the obvious "we released an unoptimized game that uses resources like it's malware." :lol:

EDIT: I was semi-joking. Yes, the game is better than what came out in 2001 - but it still does not warrant the system requirements.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm really not surprised by the requirements. They always do improve it for the PC version, and GTA4 had some issues on the 360 that can probably be blamed solely on the hardware.

But I'll defer to Nightshape, being the only one who really has a lot of experience with this 3d engine stuff.

I think it warrants the specs. I mean everythign is open scripted and so much number crunching is going on at any given time.

How many games can you walk around the street start to kill everyone, police come and a plane comes and crashes killinng the police out of no where! I love that ****. walk around get mugged, prostitutes want a peice. The graphic card requirements are to high really. Although i do find it odd that they compare the 8600GT to the 3870 ati , thats like comparing the 8600GT with the 8800GT really.

So the extra cpu power is for number crunching the dynamic city perhaps?

GTa IV has a fairly decent fidelity for an open world game... you're limited by how much you can stream, the PC can do higher res textures due to everythinge being dump to HD opposed to streamed from disc and decompressed on the fly.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!