The Natalie Portman Appreciation Thread

Humodour

Premise sounds interesting.

Is it violent? Of course it's violent, but is it like disturbing torture violence or Desperado violence?

I want a happy ending. Does it have a happy ending?

Have you never seen Leon? :lol:

It's not gory violent, but it is rather gritty and outright brutal without being "graphical"

Define happy ending?

One of my favourite movies. I am a bit of a Jean Reno fan I suppose.

Edit: Oh yeah, the thread is about Natalie Portman. She really shines in this movie, unfortunately her Star Wars performance leaves a bad, lingering impression.

Edit 2: If you are going to watch it, make sure you get the integral version, not the censored one.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sometimes however I do have problems to tell her part from Keira Knightley.

Portman is the one that looks like a human female.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Um...but is there really any changes from The Professional to Leon? I thought that was just the US release title.

"Whatever controversy may have existed would have been worse if this edition had made US screens. This DVD presents the "uncut international version" which runs 24 minutes longer than the US one did. (In the US, Leon was called The Professional, which leads to this DVD's awkward title of Leon The Professional, but I'll be damned if I'm going to refer to it by that silly name.) Although I saw The Professional theatrically, I don't remember it well enough to verify the additions myself, but a trip to IMDB confirmed that the parts I thought were new indeed didn't appear in 1994. Virtually all of the scenes that were omitted in the US featured either the sexual aspect of the relationship between Leon and Mathilda, or showed her in some socially inappropriate manner (participating in missions, drunk, using a gun). Not all of the rougher stuff involving Mathilda was excised from the US version, but much of it was."

http://www.dvdmg.com/leonsuperbit.shtml

She was alrigh in Leon but she has been increasingly horrible in the films she did after that. Im still amazed that she hasnt racked up like a hundred raspberry awards for her horribly awkward and unappealing acting. I consider her the worst top-tier actress in hollywood of the last 20 years, I mean she makes Pamela Anderson look like a worthy lady mcbeth candidate.

I HATE NATALIE PORTMAN. HATE.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would have to be drunk as a monkey, but yeah.

although at that level, the risk of alcohol-induced erectile disfunction is very high

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't consider her a great actress (although Pamela Anderson is a different level of bad). She was ok in Garden State and served her purpose in V for Vendetta, but she's turned in some pretty bad performances in other films. But I respect the choices she has made with her life. She went to college and has continued to educate herself despite being filthy rich from acting. She's a positive role model for young women, and that's not easy to find in the current sea of uneducated but attractive celebrities who get exposure for being horrible, like Linsay Lohan, Brittney Spears, and Paris Hilton.

I don't really find her attractive but I wouldn't consider her ugly.

She was okay in V for Vendetta, I guess. Hugo Weaving was absolutly brilliant in that, so she seemed a bit... bad.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If I were to wake up one day, and see I was cuddled up with Ms. Portman, I would not be unhappy :p

You'd be delusional? :p

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If I were to wake up one day, and see I was cuddled up with Ms. Portman, I would not be unhappy :p

if that happened to me i'd be wondering just what the hell happened the night before :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

If I were to wake up one day, and see I was cuddled up with Ms. Portman, I would not be unhappy :sorcerer:

if that happened to me i'd be wondering just what the hell happened the night before :(

Strange, because I often wake up wondering what you did the night before. Dread is a perfect emotion for morning coffee.

I agree that some of her more recent films lack a certain something. I think she needs to get a better agent, and do some more arty stuff with richer meaning to get her interested. There should also be some love interest between her and Alyson Hannigan. Just saying.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.