NHL

Gorth

Waiter, can I have what he is having? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, the odd thing is most of us agreed that Avery was hung out to dry unfairly earlier in the season. Sure, his comments were tasteless, but the commissioner shouldn't step in every time a player trash talks. Volourn's tone is very inflammatory in his post, as if we all are on the Avery hating bandwagon. I've always been a fan of Avery, when the Rangers made the trade for him originally I posted that I think he will be a fantastic fit for them. So I'm not sure where Volo's argumentative tone is aimed at.

I PM'ed Volourn a few weeks ago about his need to turn most topics into an argument here in the NHL thread. This is my favorite thread on the forums, and I really enjoy how active everyone is, how everyone cheers and laments their personal favorite teams. I don't want Volourn to stop posting here, I enjoy discussing the Rangers with him and consider him a part of our community, but I made a plea for him to be less argumentative and insulting in his posts. He never responded, so I'm not sure how to take that.

And what the heck did Mike Modano do?

"Volourn's tone is very inflammatory in his post, as if we all are on the Avery hating bandwagon"

My post wasn't directed at anyone here. It was a general rant against the heavy anti Avery assessment, and the general hockey populace that basically tried to make him sound like the most evil person on the planet. You mean people aren't allowed to rant about hockey subjects that irk them?

"And what the heck did Mike Modano do?"

Mike Modano was one of the biggest mouths from Dallas that decided throwing Avery under the bus for the tea's troubles. I returned the favor. Don't start a war of words Mr. Modano unless you can back it up on the ice. This isn't 5 or so years ago when you were one of the best players in the league.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

i should point out that the blues went from 15th to the playoffs as the 6th seed in about 2 months. ZOMG!!!123~!@#$~!

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ok, predictions time!

Western:

San Jose vs. Anaheim - San Jose in 6. It will be physical, but San Jose has too much offense to let it slip too badly

Detroit vs. Columbus - Detroit in 5. I want to root for the Blue Jackets, I'm excited they made it for their first time, but this match up sucks for them. Mr. Lidstrom will be introduced to Mr. Nash and the series will be sad for Columbus.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Blues in 7. When was the last time Vancouver won a round? The Blues are hot. Loungo will make it close, but I don't see them winning.

Calgary vs. Chicago - Calgary in 6. This is risky, Chicago is the favorite. But I think the Blackhawks are too young and inexperienced, and the Flames looked terrible leading up to last year and still challenged San Jose to a game 7.

Eastern:

Boston vs. Montreal - Boston in 5. Reversal of last year, but I think Boston is deep and they have an experienced goalie who should make quick work of the flailing Canadiens.

Washington vs. Rangers - Caps in 7. Should be a very entertaining series. Rangers are hot right now, but the Caps have some great talent and they all learned a ton about the playoffs last year.

New Jersey vs. Carolina - NJ in 5. Carolina made the playoffs? Well, lightning could strike twice, I suppose. Still, Brodeur will probably seal it up. I really haven't heard anything about the Hurricanes this year.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - Philly in 5. I haven't hear much on the Flyers this year, but I have heard a lot about the Pens problems and I think they will be magnified in the playoffs. Philly looked awesome last year, so a repeat performance is likely.

My predictions!

Western:

San Jose vs. Anaheim - San Jose in 5. They're tired of being seen as play-off underachievers and they will show it against Anaheim.

Detroit vs. Columbus - Detroit in 6. As usual, Detroit will underestimate their early opponents and make the series longer than needed. But they will win.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Vancouver in 6. Have faith in Sundin!

Calgary vs. Chicago - Chicago in 7. Their youth and speed will simply overwhelm Calgary and Kiprusoff over a long series.

Eastern:

Boston vs. Montreal - Boston in 4. Sorry, but this will be the only sweep of the first round. Chara will see to it.

Washington vs. Rangers - Washington in 7. Ovechkin against Lundqvist! I will follow this series closely. It will probably be tight.

New Jersey vs. Carolina - New Jersey in 6. I'm not dumb enough to bet against Brodeur. Again.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - Pittsburgh in 6. Philadelphia are strong and healthy this time, but Pittsburgh's talent will prevail.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My predictions!

Western:

San Jose vs. Anaheim - Anaheim in 6. People are underestimating Ducks. They won the Cup just two years ago with basically the same line up. And, Nedirmayer-Pronger is still the best 1-2 defensive pair in the league.

Detroit vs. Columbus - Detroit in 5. As usual. Welcome to the playoffs, Columbus, and say hello to the defending SC champions!

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Vancouver in 5. St. Louis is being overrated. They will not beat a team with one of the best goalies in the league.

Calgary vs. Chicago - Caqlgary in 6. Can't find much better than Iginla-Phaneuf-Kiprusoff in the league.

Eastern:

Boston vs. Montreal - Boston in 5. Montreal's previous post season dominance of the Bruins is irrelevant. The Kanadiens are simply a broken team.

Washington vs. Rangers - Washington in 6. I would have preferred NY being 8th seed and match up versus the overrated Bruins. Ovechkin, and co will simply outscore the Ranger ssince the Rangers' offense is non existent. Only change for nmy team is if King henrik outright steals the series. This is a rarity for me to predict AGAINST my team.

New Jersey vs. Carolina - New Jersey in 7. Tough series. Broduer should be thankful he won't be seeing the Rangers and Avery again. Carolina will push the paper tiger Devils; but in the end Brodeur will be too much.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - Pittsburgh in 6. Philadelphia is another one of those teams with a good record who I find are paper tigers. Even with all of Carters' goals, they are no match for the Malkin-Crosby duo.

Vancouver in 5

not sure how you come up with that. they were 2-2 against each other during the season, and the blues are going in to this round on a serious hot streak.

taks

not sure how you come up with that. they were 2-2 against each other during the season, and the blues are going in to this round on a serious hot streak.

How does anybody come up with anything?

In the 1989 NBA Playoffs the Cleveland Cavaliers were undefeated against the Chicago Bulls with a ridiculous 6-0 record, 2 of them being blowout victories. The Bulls also played poorly down the stretch of the regular season (including losses to Cleveland). The Bulls beat the Cavs 3 games to 2 in the playoffs.

The Oilers limped into the playoffs in 2006, and made it to the finals. Detroit was steamrolling opposition with points in 20 of their last 21 games (they lost the last game of the season) and lost to that Oilers team.

Sorry I didn't pick your team to do well in the playoffs this season. They might, but obviously I don't think so.

Edited by alanschu

Sorry I didn't pick your team to do well in the playoffs this season. They might, but obviously I don't think so.

i'm just pointing out that there is no evidence vancouver is capable of a 4-1 rout over st. louis after only going 2-2 in regular season play (the last time they played, the blues won 4-2). winning, yes, but 4-1, low probability, particularly given how hot the blues have been in the past two months. face it, they went from 15th seed to 6th by winning repeatedly. the goalie difference is immaterial, too: luongo has it over mason by 0.004 sv. and 0.07 GAA, hardly worth noting in a 7 game series.

as for the rest of your post, i'm not sure how any of it is material. sometimes better teams are upset, other times not. the head to head matchup in this case is all that matters, and there's no clear "better team," except for a guess, which is why i asked "how did you come up with that?" :ermm:

personally, i haven't watched enough of the blues (nor the canucks) to see how well they've been doing. we don't get them on tv here in CO unless they're ranked high, which they haven't been in several years. all i have are stats, which pits them not too far apart. we shall see. i do give the edge to vancouver in one potentially key area: experience in the playoffs. mason hasn't ever been there from what i gather.

taks

edit: i should add, the blues lack of a stanley cup is almost purely the result of poor goaltending in the playoffs. they've repeatedly had some of the best goalies in regular season play with absolutely horrendous playoff performances. my fingers are crossed for mason this time around.

Edited by taks

edit: i should add, the blues lack of a stanley cup is almost purely the result of poor goaltending in the playoffs. they've repeatedly had some of the best goalies in regular season play with absolutely horrendous playoff performances. my fingers are crossed for mason this time around.

Come on quadruple overtime! :ermm:

"luongo has it over mason by 0.004 sv. and 0.07 GAA"

Stats aren't always the key factor. Henrik Lunqvist, statistically isn't even top 10; but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't name him as a top 5 goalie.

Vancouver should be heavily favored over St. Louis becauae as well as STL a splayed, Vancouver is simply the better team with better players. Yeah, an upset could happen, and the Blue can be proud of making the playoffs. But, they are not the Canucks' equal. That's why the Canucks will likely win this series, and should eaisly be the favorites.

And, don't blame the goalies for St. Louis' poor play in past post seasons. Blame the entire team. Blaming the goalie is just scapegoating.

i'm just pointing out that there is no evidence vancouver is capable of a 4-1 rout over st. louis after only going 2-2 in regular season play (the last time they played, the blues won 4-2). winning, yes, but 4-1, low probability, particularly given how hot the blues have been in the past two months. face it, they went from 15th seed to 6th by winning repeatedly. the goalie difference is immaterial, too: luongo has it over mason by 0.004 sv. and 0.07 GAA, hardly worth noting in a 7 game series.

as for the rest of your post, i'm not sure how any of it is material. sometimes better teams are upset, other times not. the head to head matchup in this case is all that matters, and there's no clear "better team," except for a guess, which is why i asked "how did you come up with that?" :(

personally, i haven't watched enough of the blues (nor the canucks) to see how well they've been doing. we don't get them on tv here in CO unless they're ranked high, which they haven't been in several years. all i have are stats, which pits them not too far apart. we shall see. i do give the edge to vancouver in one potentially key area: experience in the playoffs. mason hasn't ever been there from what i gather.

taks

Losing a playoff series doesn't even imply a rout. Edmonton once lost to Dallas 4-0 but it was considered one of the closest series of the playoffs, because every game was a 1 goal game with 3 of them going to overtime.

The other stuff I posted was to demonstrate that what happens in the regular season doesn't necessarily have much of an indication of what has happened in the playoffs. The head to head matchup had Cleveland spanking Chicago. The head to head matchup had Detroit spanking Edmonton.

I don't think that St. Louis will be able to continue their success into the playoffs. Is there any reason why they won't be able to? Not really. Any team can get hot, just like the Oilers in 2006. I just don't think they will.

I really suck at these.

East:

Boston vs Les Canadiens: Not even close. Boston in five.

Washington vs NYR: NYR has a few Cup vets, the Caps have an aging Federov. Still picking the Caps in seven.

NJD vs Caroina: Tough series to pick, I have to balance out my hate for Brodeur with my love of Parise. And I hate the Canes for beating us back in '06. Canes in seven, I dunno.

Pens vs Flyers: I'm picking Philly this time around. This will be the nastiest first round matchup in the east. Six games, tops.

West:

San Jose vs Anaheim: Sharks in seven. Pronger will get suspended during the opening game for something vicious and stupid.

Detroit vs Columbus: I'm going with Columbus. I'm sick of the Wings winning all the time. Raffi Torres leads the Jackets in six games. :(

Vancouver vs St.Louis: 'Nucks in six. Two reasons: they're due to advance past the first round. And Mats Sundin.

Calgary vs Chicago. Tough to predict. Kids against vets. I hate the Flame with a passion, so I'll pick the Hawks in five. Cammaleri will score ten goals, but the injury riddled team behind him let in forty.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Vancouver in 5

taks

I really don't think that the regular season has much to do with it. The Blues are better coached IMO, but are a very young team and will still have some lingering injuries on the team going into the playoffs. Plus Mason is unproven with playoff pressure and everyone knows that Luongo can perform given the chance.

So much for "MacT is not going anywhere."

Also need to get my predictions in before the start of the first round.

Eastern Conference

Boston vs Montreal Boston in 6. As much as I would love to see Montreal win this, I just can't see it happening. They'll put up a fight, but it won't be enough.

Washington vs New York Washington in 5 Sorry Volo, but Lundqvist and Avery aren't going to be enough to get past Ovie and the Caps. They should have kept Jagr! :p

New Jersey vs Carolina Carolina in 5 Brodeur has been a little off his game lately and Carolina has been red hot. Brodeur will wake up to steal a game, but it'll be too late.

Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia Philadelphia in 6 Not too sure about this one. Really just came down to a coin toss.

Western Conference

San Jose vs Anaheim San Jose in 5 It's too early in the playoffs for San Jose to choke yet.

Detroit vs Columbus Columbus in 6 This is my big upset in the first round. Mason will stand on his head to keep the Jackets in this.

Vancouver vs St Louis Vancouver in 5 Two hot teams will provide for some close games, but Luongo will get the better of the Blues in the end.

Chicago vs Calgary Calgary in 7 Calgary likes to play seven games for some reason. They'll go back and forth, but the experience of the Flames will win out.

Losing a playoff series doesn't even imply a rout. Edmonton once lost to Dallas 4-0 but it was considered one of the closest series of the playoffs, because every game was a 1 goal game with 3 of them going to overtime.

maybe, maybe not. that the blues bested them 4-2 just 20 days ago, however, is telling, and at this point, 4-1 would be a rout given that information.

The other stuff I posted was to demonstrate that what happens in the regular season doesn't necessarily have much of an indication of what has happened in the playoffs. The head to head matchup had Cleveland spanking Chicago. The head to head matchup had Detroit spanking Edmonton.

my only point with this is that those cases have no bearing on THIS case.

I don't think that St. Louis will be able to continue their success into the playoffs. Is there any reason why they won't be able to? Not really. Any team can get hot, just like the Oilers in 2006. I just don't think they will.

perhaps. i'm still saying it goes to 7. we shall see.

taks

Edited by taks

I really don't think that the regular season has much to do with it. The Blues are better coached IMO, but are a very young team and will still have some lingering injuries on the team going into the playoffs. Plus Mason is unproven with playoff pressure and everyone knows that Luongo can perform given the chance.

i'm still undecided on whether they are better coached. murray has a good track record, but it's too early (in his career with the blues) to say for sure. he's made a lot of changes, and the young team seems to be part of what he wanted for a turn-around.

the reason i don't totally discount mason in the playoffs, btw, is simply because the pressure was on even worse just to get to the playoffs. the blues, even in their hot 2-month ending, aren't really known for power and goal scoring. mason had to play stellar just for them to make it. the pressure had to be immense.

we'll probably get to see right away tonight. if he's giving up soft goals (something luongo has been accused of in the past, btw), it might spell doom for the blues.

i'm watching if i can, btw. they're the only west matchup tonight so it might be on the tube here in CO.

personally, i don't care about any of the other matchups. i don't have time to watch so i have no concept of what any team is doing except the blues, and even then i can only read about them on the web. sigh... life in a no-hockey town. i haven't lived in a hockey town since 1995.

taks

"Sorry Volo, but Lundqvist and Avery aren't going to be enough to get past Ovie and the Caps. They should have kept Jagr!"

No need to apologize. I predicted against the Rnagers, too. New Yorkers were dumb to let Jagr walk. Now, they have no real offensive threat. Not one player with 60+ points, and their points leader got most of his with the Toronto Make Me Laughs.