Iraq War Ends

random n00b

I like the way the photographer neatly cut off the view of the ground, where civil war and genocide is breaking out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like the way the photographer neatly cut off the view of the ground, where civil war and genocide is breaking out.

that bright shiny light at the bottom right of the photo is actually a mushroom cloud.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If the Iraqis cannot set aside their differences and work together as a nation that would have been their fault.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

that bright shiny light at the bottom right of the photo is actually a mushroom cloud.

LOL, in fact that's the smug glow of all the people who don't care if genocide happens so long as our troops can't see it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's ebcause people don't care if others are suffering. They'd rather have others suffering then themselves and their 'country'. Caring for other human beings shouldn't stop at one's borders, imo.

This is why I hate the argument of 'we shouldn't be help;ing x country when my country has problems'. Espicially a problem in NA and Europe where our problems comapritvely speaking aren't nearly as bad as other places.

Why is freedom the right of the West but not on other continents with a country like Iraq? *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I laughed at the "maximum wage" headline.

That's something we can all get behind!

On the subject of troops I've just been reading the BBC's debate on this, and the only person who argued for an immediate pullout was Simon Jenkins! The fatuous cretin simply said that it was expensive, and the only reason we were there was to punish the Taliban! Punish the Taliban! As if that would make all the deaths and disruption, and betrayal OK. Not to mention the fact that if we pulled out now the Taliban would be stronger than when we started.

I'm fully in favour of pulling out combat troops asap. I just regard asap as being when the countries themselves can keep it together when we go. However one feels about the start of the war, I don't see how anyone can pretend to be moral while supporting immediate pullout. ...Unless they're one of these people who claims the only thing causing violence is out troops. Which is about as plausible as swapping the combined educated opinion of every professional soldier, diplomat, and academic I've ever talked to on the subject... for a magic bean which will grow into a stalk of love to a magical future Afghanistan run with harmony and candy.

-Elwood Blues

I laughed at the "maximum wage" headline.

That's something we can all get behind!

On the subject of troops I've just been reading the BBC's debate on this, and the only person who argued for an immediate pullout was Simon Jenkins! The fatuous cretin simply said that it was expensive, and the only reason we were there was to punish the Taliban! Punish the Taliban! As if that would make all the deaths and disruption, and betrayal OK. Not to mention the fact that if we pulled out now the Taliban would be stronger than when we started.

I'm fully in favour of pulling out combat troops asap. I just regard asap as being when the countries themselves can keep it together when we go. However one feels about the start of the war, I don't see how anyone can pretend to be moral while supporting immediate pullout. ...Unless they're one of these people who claims the only thing causing violence is out troops. Which is about as plausible as swapping the combined educated opinion of every professional soldier, diplomat, and academic I've ever talked to on the subject... for a magic bean which will grow into a stalk of love to a magical future Afghanistan run with harmony and candy.

Afghanistan? I thought we were talking about Iraq?

Because they're pretty different in most senses - especially strategic military considerations.

Afghanistan? I thought we were talking about Iraq?

Because they're pretty different in most senses - especially strategic military considerations.

They are the same in the sense that pulling out NAO would lead to an increase in violence and unacceptable chances of undesirable elements getting back into power by means of said violence...

It is? Are you saying that the 'surge' hasn't worked then?

:*:) You know I meant in the event of us just going 'yoink' and running. I was talking about thsi recently, and someone reminded me of Haiti. Where the Un just upped and ran. There was total slaughter.

-Elwood Blues

I prefer not to pull out until the job is done :sorcerer:

Job's done. The war in Iraq is long over. We killed the bad guys, established a new, democratically elected regime with a growing economy. Our continued presence in Iraq serves only as a recruitment tool for Taliban forces.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I prefer not to pull out until the job is done :sorcerer:

Job's done. The war in Iraq is long over. We killed the bad guys, established a new, democratically elected regime with a growing economy. Our continued presence in Iraq serves only as a recruitment tool for Taliban forces.

My comment wasn't related to the Iraq War (or any war) in any way...

post-10997-1226620841_thumb.jpg

:sorcerer:

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On that article and this whole thing; with Obama in the white house, will we finally see an end to this rubbish "war on terror" slogan? Or is it something thats just too handy to have around as a way to escape other issues?

-Mr President, regarding the deficit...

-Shush! How can you people even be talking about trivial matters like that when we've got a war on terror to win?!

and so on. And I think I would be deported to guntanamo for unamerican behavior if i was to say this in the US, but more people die in the US every year because they cant afford proper healthcare, than have ever been killed by terrorists. Is it really sane behaviour to prioritise terrorism in this situation?

sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/health...ance-deaths.htm

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

On that article and this whole thing; with Obama in the white house, will we finally see an end to this rubbish "war on terror" slogan? Or is it something thats just too handy to have around as a way to escape other issues?

-Mr President, regarding the deficit...

-Shush! How can you people even be talking about trivial matters like that when we've got a war on terror to win?!

and so on. And I think I would be deported to guntanamo for unamerican behavior if i was to say this in the US, but more people die in the US every year because they cant afford proper healthcare, than have ever been killed by terrorists. Is it really sane behaviour to prioritise terrorism in this situation?

sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/health...ance-deaths.htm

It is much easier to combat an easily demonized external threat, than to try to change the course of a 15000 lbs freight train on a dime.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I prefer not to pull out until the job is done :(

I expected at least a witty comment from Wals :(

/wrist! :x

Isn't that rather like expecting tap-dancing from a pig?

-Elwood Blues

Bastards! :( I may eat like a pig, but I don't dance like one. I dance like a rhino. Set on fire.

I hope I understand the very good sense behind questioning the merits of prioritising the war on terror. You are quite correct that the West loses more people to poor healthcare than to terrorism. However, this does not mean we may not lose more people to terrorism. Terrorism has the potential to cause immense harm, not just directly but indirectly through economic destablisation, and fear. It can lead, and is intended to lead to full scale revolutions the implications of which cannot be underestimated. If i may draw an analogy, I've been nearly hit by motor vehicles on numerous occasions but never actualy hurt. Whereas I've been bitten by animals numerous times. Does this mean I should attend to animals more than cars?

-Elwood Blues