x3: reunion

Maria Caliban

kahk actually.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

kahk actually.

Kha'ak if wikipedia is to be believed.

COuld be. Spelling made up names of super-powerful alien races was never my forte. :lol:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Now say 'Kha'ak' as a single syllable and tell me if you'd use the word in a conversation with your grandmother.

My grandmother is deaf. :lol:

There's a new standalone expansion out. I need to play it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thats it! I really need to get a joystick this coming weekend :lol:

I liked the X2 demo so much that I bought X3 (Terran Conflict) unseen. It has been sitting around on my HDD for days now waiting for me to get my act together (and get the darn stick that can be used on my current PC) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thats it! I really need to get a joystick this coming weekend :lol:

I liked the X2 demo so much that I bought X3 (Terran Conflict) unseen. It has been sitting around on my HDD for days now waiting for me to get my act together (and get the darn stick that can be used on my current PC) :)

X2 rulez. It took hundreds of life hours from me. I'm not as fond of X3. Still a fun game though.

This game needs a better manuel and tutorial. How am I supposed to beat the Kha'ak without instruction?

Well, what would Captain Kirk do in such a situation? :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This game needs a better manuel and tutorial. How am I supposed to beat the Kha'ak without instruction?

Isn't beating the kha'ak kind of an instinctive behavior?

Well, what would Captain Kirk do in such a situation? :shifty:

He'd give a long speach about loving one another or he'd solve things through a fist-fight.

Isn't beating the kha'ak kind of an instinctive behavior?

For some people, I'm sure it is. It wouldn't surprise me if you find Kha'ak beating to be an average, everyday activity. Then again, you've said that you've already spent hundreds of hours beating on the Kha'ak already.I'm a noob here, and it's not as simple for me.

I'm on the first mission. Grab a friend, look for Kha'ak in three sectors, and destroy them. I've found a ship scouting for the Kha'ak and destroyed it. I got a promotion. Is the objective fulfilled? Should I go back for another mission? No clue. I can't find a 'current objective screen' and when I head back to my original location, nothing happens.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Combat promotions are tied to number and types of kills not directly to mission completion. When you complete a mission you should get some kind of message. Have you gone to all three sectors?

Combat promotions are tied to number and types of kills not directly to mission completion. When you complete a mission you should get some kind of message. Have you gone to all three sectors?

I figured out what I did wrong. In my eagerness, I neglected to bring my friends along.

At this point, I'm not enjoying the game. It's like a FPS where all the targets are only a centimeter on your screen.

Should I follow the main story line or do trade runs to get money and upgrade my ship?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ignore the main story. It's pretty rubbish anyway :blink:

The game is particularly poor at explaining things, so really your best bet is to head to the forums where there is an absolute ton of better tutorials and guides. Get used to the way things work, build up some means of getting credits and only continue the story when you feel better prepared.

I find it a nice game to sort of relax on - I love the music.

And yes, the kha'ak are amusing, but what else can we expect from our central european friends :shifty:

I got sick of X3 when I discovered the bastard devs had made it so I could start a war, but never finish it. I also get incredibly annoyed by the Astouinding crashing Ships phenomenon, where my ships destroy themselves by ramming objects, each other etc. I can't bring myself to go back into it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

At this point, I'm not enjoying the game. It's like a FPS where all the targets are only a centimeter on your screen.

Should I follow the main story line or do trade runs to get money and upgrade my ship?

First of all, X2 is a better game than X3. They are very similar, but the developers made some changes that seemed to really diminish the fun factor. That is a personal opinion obviously, but it is shared by many others who played a lot of X2.

However, they are still far more similar than different. So here's the deal: If the you play X3 as a linear space sim, such as WIng Commander, flying mission after mission and following the story, you will most likely disappointed. That's not really the way they are intended to be played. You CAN play it that way, but if you do, you will be missing 90% of what the game has to offer. Maybe 95%. In other words, the linear story missions are an insignificant aspect of the game. In the time I spent with X3, I never even started the story. WHich is pretty usual.

X2 and X3 are both empire building games played from a first person perspective. You build factories and complexes, remote mine asteriods, search for ore, harvest space flies, build freighter fleets, trade with races, and protect your investment in all of the above from the predatory forces of the galaxy. Its probably worth flying a story mission here and there just for the amusement factor, plus you sometimes get free stuff when you complete a mission.

But really, my advice is either sell your fighter and buy a frieghter, or use your fighter for personal transport missions. They pay well. Start amassing wealth. SOmeday you'll be able to buy you own carrier and fill it with 60 fighters. Then you know you've arrived for sure. ;)

I traded in my Buster for a freight ship. Damn this thing is slow.

Hate to say it, but I think I've found a game that doesn't appeal to me on any level. That doesn't mean it's bad. From what I see, it's well made if you're into that sort of thing. But, there's nothing that appeals to me. It took 27 years (exaggeration, I didn't start playing computer games until 10 years ago and didn't really get into them until about five years ago) but I

I traded in my Buster for a freight ship. Damn this thing is slow.

Hate to say it, but I think I've found a game that doesn't appeal to me on any level. That doesn't mean it's bad. From what I see, it's well made if you're into that sort of thing. But, there's nothing that appeals to me. It took 27 years (exaggeration, I didn't start playing computer games until 10 years ago and didn't really get into them until about five years ago) but I