trouble with disc drives

hey there, can anyone tell me in which folder to install the drivers for my disc drive?

both my disc drives say my drivers are missing or corrupt, so I went and got the drivers from the website, but I don't know where to place them ... I found several folders that say drivers but not sure in which one they go.

any help would be much appreciated.

Disc drive as in optical drives or hard drives?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Disc drive as in optical drives or hard drives?

optical drives my dvd (sony) and my dvd burner (philips)

message recieved (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) )

Edited by Dragon Lord Jones

i downloaded the drivers from the appropriate websites, unzipped 'em, doubleclicked the file, they tell me the device can't be found. i triple checked to make sure they where for the correct drive, but still nothing

the disc drive open and close fine, i uninstalled as per the help and support ... reinstall and the new hardware is reconized as being there but i get the corrupt or missing driver message (code 39)

i don't know what else to do .... i followed the device managers and help and support

Edited by Dragon Lord Jones

Securom trashing your optical drives maybe?

Or did you install any mobo-drivers lately? (some via drivers once were known to sometimes cause trouble)

Otoh, I never had to install drivers for my drives... Firmware for the burner, yes, but drivers?

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Securom trashing your optical drives maybe?

Or did you install any mobo-drivers lately? (some via drivers once were known to sometimes cause trouble)

Otoh, I never had to install drivers for my drives... Firmware for the burner, yes, but drivers?

i don't remember installing anything new ,,, when i go to update driver it tells me that i have the best match already installed.

i normally don't install new drivers of any sort, run what comes factory installed. I have the restore disc, but they do me no good if the drives aren't working to run the cd ....... so i went to the manufactor's website (dell) and tried downloading the drivers from there.

Still a no go ......... probably will just have to swap them out (the drives) with new when I get the chance ....... or just get a new PC (seeing as this one is 3-4 years old now it's more than likely I'll just buy a new PC (money permitting lol)

It sounds odd if it is both drives. Your BIOS is detecting them properly?

You haven't had any bad DRM software installed/uninstalled that could wreck your Windows (not your manufacturers driver, but the windows file/device system for optical drives)?

No second PC within handy reach that you could try to hook up one of the drives to?

Running out of ideas :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It sounds odd if it is both drives. Your BIOS is detecting them properly?

You haven't had any bad DRM software installed/uninstalled that could wreck your Windows (not your manufacturers driver, but the windows file/device system for optical drives)?

No second PC within handy reach that you could try to hook up one of the drives to?

Running out of ideas :)

could be a windows thing ... i do get an error sometimes when booting (not always though). have no clue on where or how to fix. i have windows disc but can't use the cd drive to fix windows that way. not even sure how far back i'd need to go to try restore. it's been quite a while since i used my cd drives. may try it though, (can't recall what i'll lose for data. (as far as recent goes, worked on different projects (writings/drawings and such). not sure what i have to back up, and without the cd-r working, how to back it up. Like I posted before may just use as is, and wait until I buy a new computer.

wanted to get a few new games but oh well, new computer may have to come first ...... unless a rich uncle leaves me a fortune LOL it may be awhile.

for what i'm doing now i can get along with this one i guess. thanks all for your suggestions, was just hoping/loooking for an easy fix

• 3 weeks later...
anyone know how good external usb cd/dvd disc drives are? and if so any fairly cheap/good recommendations?

this may be a simple solution for me .... don't know: willing to try if they work. Cheaper than a new computer at this time anyway.

I'm not really educated in the field of external DVD-drives, but I do know that we bought one of these for the company I worked for:

http://plextor.com/english/products/px-610u.html

It's very slick, silent and portable. But a bit expensive. No idea what it costs today.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

anyone know how good external usb cd/dvd disc drives are? and if so any fairly cheap/good recommendations?

this may be a simple solution for me .... don't know: willing to try if they work. Cheaper than a new computer at this time anyway.

I recently borrowed a portable DVD drive from work to install WotLK and it was a breeze. Plugged it into a USB port, turned it on and installed hassle free. No drivers needed or anything, it was simply recognized by Windows and as far as I know it was cheap as dirt (has a label on top that says "Mad Dog Multimedia", whoever the hell they are).

And as others have stated, new DVD drives (the kind you install into your PC) are less then $50.00 but thats probably for just a player only. If you want DVD-R it may be slightly more.

Edited by Gfted1

thanks gifted ... found one on dell's website for around $95 after rebate, that's like 5 drives in one dvd-r/ cd-rw etc. also comes with light scribe for label making. hope it works. (i rip alot of cds onto my external hard drive. Trying to get my 2000+ cd collection into mp3s) ..... causes havak on 'em. the one on my laptop is starting to go now after a few hundred discs lol :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

got my usb cd/dvd rom; plugged it in and no go ... it appears my system is f**ked somewhere. This appears to be a known problem with dvd burning software, tried regedit as described and a couple other things with no luck.

I'm outta ideas. I could try and find a restore point; but have no clue when or where I changed any burning software. Also have to find someway to back-up any data / add-ons ... what did I add and at what point. Man I'm just screwed as far as my rom drives go on this computer. Which means no games as my laptop is too old to run any of the games I want to play. Time for a new computer I guess ....... better start saving lol