Does this sound right to you?

Kaftan Barlast

Me and my friends have been arguing about a working name for this thing we're doing, and the others want to call it "rekyl" (means recoil in swedish) with the motivation that its a short and easy-to-say name for everyone including english-speakers. Now, I dont agree because no matter how I try, I cant figure out how to pronounce "rekyl" in english. Is it like "wreck-yhl" or more like "reee-kill" or what?

So you foreigners out there, can you pronounce it? And do you agree that its a ****ty name?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Closest thing I can think of to rekyl in English is Jekyll (the proper name, from Scotland; well known from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Its supposed to be pronounced JEEK-ull, but has - thanks to a movie - mostly become pronounced as JEK-ull.

So I'd say the average person from the US would see it as REK-ull not REEK-ull

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Me and my friends have been arguing about a working name for this thing we're doing, and the others want to call it "rekyl" (means recoil in swedish) with the motivation that its a short and easy-to-say name for everyone including english-speakers. Now, I dont agree because no matter how I try, I cant figure out how to pronounce "rekyl" in english. Is it like "wreck-yhl" or more like "reee-kill" or what?

So you foreigners out there, can you pronounce it? And do you agree that its a ****ty name?

To me it looks like it should be pronounced "wreck-yhl." It's hard to say with such a random sounding name though. I do agree that it's a rather poor choice -- it doesn't have a very nice sound to it (no matter which way I try to pronounce it) and it's not tangible unless one knows its Swedish meaning.

I think most Americans are going to have a hard time with that name because "y" is sort of the bastard child of english. Putting it in the middle of a word like that will probably confuse some folks. You can never be sure of how to say it. Not only that, rekyl just looks strange. That's my guess for America at large, but I don't think it's such a bad name. I agree with Amentep that folks will pronounce it "Rehk il," but who cares? Since English tends to make vowels pull double/triple/multiple duties, you're bound to have a bunch of ways to prounce foreign words. The benefit of rekyl is that it's short and, once folks relize what it means, some of them will probably just pronounce it recoil anyhow.

I'd pronounce it 'reh-kill'/'wreck-ill', like Jekyll in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Or perhaps I'd pronounce it 'ree-kill' like 'regal'. Actually yeah, 'ree-kill' (a short ee sound) sounds more appropriate.

I've never seen or heard such a name before, though.

But hey, it depends on your target audience. Australian English has about 27 vowels while the average American dialect only has 9 to 12 vowells.

Edited by Krezack

:( the german accent sounds very, very bad indeed to my poor ears, almost as bad as the swiss...

I think it's a very good idea to ask around first, to avoid ending up with something like the Mitsubishi Pajero, Ford Nova etc.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

:( @Laputa.

"no va" (Spanish) = doesn't go - although it's pronounced differently from "nova". Still an example of why it's worth investigating how some word sounds like in an other language.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Honda did the same thing over here with the Honda Fitta, which means *vulgar term for vagina* in Swedish :(

I did try to tell the guys again that we've got a ****ty name, but they refused to listen. This has happened every other time we've done something that need a name, someone just blurps something compltly idiotic and then we never change it.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think the first rule of a name is that people should be able to pronounce and spell it if heard. Now we've got:

-Ok, this looks cool. What did you say the name was again?

-Frzzmnkglajdghd.

-Uh, can you say that again?

-Frzzmnkglajdghd. We've got a website at www.fhfra

If it means 'recoil', then go with an English spelling that's closer and with less ambiguous pronunciation, like 'Rekoyl' or 'Recoyle'. You can insert a hyphen after the prefix re- if you like: 'Re-koil' etc...

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

yeah americans are dumb and you know at least 1 out of 10 will call it rectal becuase thats what people do when they can't pronounce or read stuff they start fooling with letters and stuff

very messy

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.