Fallout 3

Gorth

I'm a friend to animals now, and a whole family of molerats helped me take on an annoying horde of robots.

Hahaha ;) are you being serious?

If you get two levels of that Perk, they'll help you. One level and they won't be hostile towards you. A good perk to take if you are wandering away from the city. Those mutated bears can do some serious damage.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I'm a friend to animals now, and a whole family of molerats helped me take on an annoying horde of robots.

Hahaha ;) are you being serious?

If you get two levels of that Perk, they'll help you. One level and they won't be hostile towards you. A good perk to take if you are wandering away from the city. Those mutated bears can do some serious damage.

!@#$ Yao Guoi (or however you spell it) right in their ugly faces. I might just take this perk for that reason alone from now on.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yep, it's made exploration pretty interesting. I have a lot less stuff attacking me as I wander the wastes, and when those weird zombie wolf things come to my aid against raiders, they can be very effective. I'm also saving on ammo!
Yeah, Animal Friend definitely sounds neat. Do you know if it affects the nastier critters (Yao Guai, Mirelurk Hunter)?

The downside is that those are a big chunk of the XP you get while wandering aimlessly...

Molerats, Yao Guai, dogs of any type are friendly towards you, everything else still attacks even those nasty deathclaws. I hate deathclaws. They hit hard and do knock back damage.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Yeah, I've seen a pair of Yao Guai kill an entire Outcast patrol. I may or may not have led the beasts to them, but it was scary how easily they made short work of them. For that alone, the perk seems to be worth it, even if it won't work with Deathclaws (at least it didn't in the previous two).

Shame about radscorpions, though.

edit: beaten to the punch

Edited by random n00b

Yao guai and deathclaws are the only things in the waste that give me trouble. Giant radscorpians used to be a pain, too, until I figured out that you can just circle them and they can't touch you. If you're melee-ing/unarm-ing them, each hit knocks them back as well, so you can get a few free shots in.

Speaking of unarmed, I just assembled myself a Deathclaw Gauntlet! Only to find out that it does less damage than the Fisto! I've been using most of the game. Unfortunate that the best unarmed weapon can be had within an hour of leaving the Vault.

PS: Can you heal Dogmeat? I think sleeping in a bed, does, but I"m not sure.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

If Dogmeat is wounded, and ONLY if he is wounded, you get a conversation option to inject him with a stimpak.

A cool thing about Dogmeat is that he actually eats organic opponents after a battle to completely heal himself. The con is it doesn't show any sort of eating animation, sometimes enemy body parts just seem to 'pop' for no apparent reason. You will be looking glance at him after a battle, see low health, then the health bar disappears which usually represents he munched down and is healed.

Only real time I've had to heal him is if he bites off more than he can chew with a real tough enemy. If I see him going at it with a deathclaw I'll speak to him DURING his fight and give him a stim to help and then try and finish the deathclaw off with a weapon.

If Dogmeat is wounded, and ONLY if he is wounded, you get a conversation option to inject him with a stimpak.

A cool thing about Dogmeat is that he actually eats organic opponents after a battle to completely heal himself. The con is it doesn't show any sort of eating animation, sometimes enemy body parts just seem to 'pop' for no apparent reason. You will be looking glance at him after a battle, see low health, then the health bar disappears which usually represents he munched down and is healed.

Only real time I've had to heal him is if he bites off more than he can chew with a real tough enemy. If I see him going at it with a deathclaw I'll speak to him DURING his fight and give him a stim to help and then try and finish the deathclaw off with a weapon.

OIC!

So you can only see a companions health meter if they are wounded? That's good to know. As is that tidbit about Dogmeat. He heals himself. NOICE. I was wondering why I never had to option to use a stimpack on him. Now I don't have to worry about him after every fight. Good dog! :thumbsup:

Okay, fixed my radio problem by setting audio acceleration to zero, and am absolutely loving this game. I mean, I can go anywhere, do anything... and I have done some pretty dumb things... all in a fabulously crafted world that feels to me exactly like Fallout. The fast-travel options are a big time saver, and so far the quests have been unexpected, unusual and fun. I'm having so much fun exploring and questing that I really don't feel like doing anything on the main quest. Suppose I should. I'm leveling rather quickly and that cap of lvl 20 will catch up to me soon.

I think that hanging around Megaton doing quests may hurt me in the end, because my weapons are still pretty basic. Well, that presumes that better weapons are available in other cities.

Anyway, those who stubbornly refuse to buy this game out of some twisted sense of patriotism to the old Fallout series are doing themselves a disservice. This is an excellent game, with infinite replayability because I don't see how anyone could find everything, see everything in a single playthrough.

Bethesda did Fallout proud, in my book, much better than I had dared expect.

Edited by ~Di

Overall I've been extremely happy with the choices in quests, but I've reached the first quest that I REALLY disliked: Tenpenny Tower.

Ok, so there is a quest to take care of ghouls who want to move into Tenpenny Tower living in a subway and you get a quest to kill them. Here's the thing, Tenpenny and some of his residents are bigoted jerks against the ghouls, while some of the residents are open minded 'nice' folk and families. Again, the ghouls have a real a$$hole as their leader. He feels entitled to live in Tenpenny and wants to release a pack of feral ghouls on the residents of Tenpenny Towers. Some of those people may deserve to get munched on, but not all of them. Likewise, I feel very sorry for some of Roy the Ghoul's followers.

Here is part of the stupidity. Tenpenny is actually willing to let the ghouls live in the tower if you can convince the residents that it would be a good idea, yet you receive positive karma and a finger if you kill Tenpenny. Roy, on the other hand is near dead set on killing everyone yet I receive negative karma for killing him. Lame.

Also, if you are thinking why didn't I do it the diplomatic way? Well, if you do get them living together the ghouls end up killing everyone, even the decent families, and dumping their bodies in the sewer over a 'misunderstanding' yet this so called diplomatic method earns you the most rewards and karma.

I ended up killing the ghouls. I felt guilty for killing two of them, no guilt for Roy despite negative karma.

The game may consider what I did the most 'evil', but I'd prefer to spare a fairly large amount of open minded folks in Tenpenny Tower the horror of being eaten alive or murdered and dumped in the sewer because the game considers offing a few bigots worth the heavy collateral damage of the other open minded individuals.

Hated this one!

:):thumbsup:

Hahaha :thumbsup: are you being serious?

Sounds great! Can't wait to play the game!

i gave bethsoft too much money for oblivion to blindly go out and buy another formulated crap game from them. i plan on trying it out and then buying it if its worth it, and by worth it i mean decent expansion packs and mod tools in the future.

Edited by Fionavar
Discussion or encouragement of piracy is not tolerated within Obsidian's fora

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell

Overall I've been extremely happy with the choices in quests, but I've reached the first quest that I REALLY disliked: Tenpenny Tower.
I liked that quest a lot, if not immediately. I was pretty shocked to find out how things can turn out with that, but thinking about it later, I came to realize why it's one of the best quests I've seen so far.

I think it's pretty awesome that the player can't control anything and everything in the game - and that sometimes NPCs manipulate the player, too. Roy simply uses the player to further his own agenda. An evil bastard ghoul, a bunch of bigots that are proven right in the end... and in the midst of it, the clueless player, which can choose to turn a blind eye the not-so-subtle hints that Roy lets on about his true intentions. As grim as it is fitting, I think. The problem with killing Roy and getting bad karma doesn't have an easy solution. He IS innocent, at that point at least, so killing him is wrong. You don't get bad karma once you find the corpses in the basement.

It IS possible to get a happy ending for the quest, though. But unfortunately, it involves metagaming. In order to have the ghouls and humans living in community yadda yadda, you need to complete the diplomatic approach, tell Tenpenny about it, and then tell Roy. And when they are heading for the tower, kill the bastard. That way nobody else dies... but there's no way to explain why would you act that way in-game.

Edited by random n00b

I liked that quest a lot, if not immediately. I was pretty shocked to find out how things can turn out with that, but thinking about it later, I came to realize why it's one of the best quests I've seen so far.

I think it's pretty awesome that the player can't control anything and everything in the game - and that sometimes NPCs manipulate the player, too. Roy simply uses the player to further his own agenda. An evil bastard ghoul, a bunch of bigots that are proven right in the end... and in the midst of it, the clueless player, which can choose to turn a blind eye the not-so-subtle hints that Roy lets on about his true intentions. As grim as it is fitting, I think. The problem with killing Roy and getting bad karma doesn't have an easy solution. He IS innocent, at that point at least, so killing him is wrong. You don't get bad karma once you find the corpses in the basement.

It IS possible to get a happy ending for the quest, though. But unfortunately, it involves metagaming. In order to have the ghouls and humans living in community yadda yadda, you need to complete the diplomatic approach, tell Tenpenny about it, and then tell Roy. And when they are heading for the tower, kill the bastard. That way nobody else dies... but there's no way to explain why would you act that way in-game.

Hmm...

So there is a better way to do it. Don't like that metagame aspect though.

Still really hated gaining negative karma for killing Roy though. His intentions alone, which he tells you straight to your face (release feral ghouls kill them all) should have either given you no karma change or even a positive karma boost.

That's weird. I have yet to find a permanent companion. I'm level 20 and I'm just the point where I have moved the

project purity people out of rivet city. Dad's given me a new quest to go fix crap, but I wanted to explore and I have 29 out of 30 nuka cola quantum bottles to finish the nuka cola challenge quest.

At this point, I don't even know if I'd want a companion, although dogmeat might be cool I guess. Dogmeat is bad, though, because I can't stomach losing him. Maybe I could let other companions die, this being Fallout and all and the AI being stupid as hell. I don't relish trying to keep dogmeat alive in places like that old town where the deathclaws are all over the place. I mean, they're gone there, but who the hell knows what else I'll find and the stupid pooch will run up to the first bruiser we see and the game will turn into reload heaven after that, which is hell for me.

That's weird. I have yet to find a permanent companion. I'm level 20 and I'm just the point where I have moved the

project purity people out of rivet city. Dad's given me a new quest to go fix crap, but I wanted to explore and I have 29 out of 30 nuka cola quantum bottles to finish the nuka cola challenge quest.

At this point, I don't even know if I'd want a companion, although dogmeat might be cool I guess. Dogmeat is bad, though, because I can't stomach losing him. Maybe I could let other companions die, this being Fallout and all and the AI being stupid as hell. I don't relish trying to keep dogmeat alive in places like that old town where the deathclaws are all over the place. I mean, they're gone there, but who the hell knows what else I'll find and the stupid pooch will run up to the first bruiser we see and the game will turn into reload heaven after that, which is hell for me.

I've found two, not including people like Jericho in Megaton who wont join me because my Karma is too high.

If you want to find a fairly bad-ass companion and your karma is good

finish up dad's 'go fix crap' quest. Will eventually lead to a companion fairly quickly. Her name is Star Paladin Cross, put a minigun in her hand and watch the bodies fall.

:lol:

Also, at the Museum of History

you can purchase Charon's contract or assassinate someone for Azrekhul and he will become a companion.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Does anyone know if these red and blue pass cards and metro tickets are useful for anything?

Don't know about the red and blue pass cards, but the metro tickets can be used in the metro

minor spoiler:

if you activate the robot down in the metro he'll go around inspecting tickets, those that don't have one is asked to leave .. violently

Fortune favors the bald.

Hah I blew up a vertibird. I was up on the highway overpass shooting at it and the Enclave soldiers were running around trying to figure out where the shooting was coming from. Than it blew up taking them all out. That had a bigger explosion than those busses.

2010spaceships.jpg

MAKING THE GAME MORE DIFFICULT!?

So I've played through the game roughly twice now, and it eventually just becomes too easy. I was thinking of ways to potentially make enemies in the wastes more deadly. The only thing I can really come up with so far are:

1. Only wear apparel that isn't armor. Duster? Merc-wear? Take your pick biggrin.gif

2. A low endurance for low HP. This would immediately make bullets and monster attacks more deadly.

3. Restrict yourself to a weapon of choice, maybe? Of course, I'd have to allow myself a sniper rifle if 1 and 2 are in play. :ermm:

4. Don't use VATS at all.

I even played the game on hard (haven't played on normal, yet), and the only thing that seems to do is make you hit the level cap too soon.

Suggestions? Questions, comments, concerns?

Edited by Arkan