Left 4 Dead

alanschu

Demo available on steam if you preorder the game.

Mucho fun!!!!

I love popping zombie heads, but the mob scenes where tons swarm you are great!!! So much fun!

Is the demo playable for multiple people or are you on your own? I heard that the friendly AI is lacking and obviously subpar compared to having real humans with you.

You can play single player, or a two map "campaign" with other players (AI plays other members of the squad if you don't have 4 human players).

I didn't really have an issue with the AI personally, but all I really want them to do is shoot zombies and heal me/themselves haha. I played through the minicampaign like 3 times last night with a friend playing with different weapons. I love the assault rifle.

I'm gonna have to wait until next Tuesday. But honestly, I don't really expect much. Mindless Zombie gore fest + multiplayer? Nahhh...
Indeed. What we really need are some deep, cerebral conversations on a metaphysical level with those zombies, and none of that childish pewpew stuff. I mean, please, give us something worthy of our obviously superior intellects!

Also, screenies plz. ;)

I think there is a "Manage Your Attachments" if you go to your profile/control panel

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Pipe bombs are good times (and this one is nothing haha)

Pull pipebomb out:

post-1607-1226106304_thumb.jpg

Give 'er a toss:

post-1607-1226106324_thumb.jpg

Watch the zombies flock to it (ooo shiny!)

post-1607-1226106346_thumb.jpg

Kaboom!

post-1607-1226106382_thumb.jpg

The effect is best during a swarm, as it seems zombies are attracted to it which leads to much laughter and splatter haha.

Another swarm!!! (wish I still had my pipebomb!!!!)

Cornered!

post-1607-1226106486_thumb.jpg

Incapacitated! (I can still shoot my pistols, but my health slowly goes down...or quickly if zombies beat on me...and I need someone to pick me up to my feet)

post-1607-1226106518_thumb.jpg

Molotov ****tails...not quite as much fun as pipebombs....but still good times!

post-1607-1226106589_thumb.jpg

Hurry up Francis! Almost in the safe room (level end).

post-1607-1226106639_thumb.jpg

Flood is my friend. Bill and Francis are AI players, going by their character names. Louis was played by Slasher (me) and Zoey by Flood! The climactic sequence from "No Mercy!" (the name of the movie we're in haha). Curing the infection. One bullet at a time!

Looks alright (co-op is always fun). I wouldn't touch anything from Valve other than Portal with a ten-foot pole, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Looking at those screenshots i'm already glad i pre-ordered the game. :)

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Flood is my friend. Bill and Francis are AI players, going by their character names. Louis was played by Slasher (me) and Zoey by Flood! The climactic sequence from "No Mercy!" (the name of the movie we're in haha). Curing the infection. One bullet at a time!
Hey, cool. How's the AI?

I don't really expect much. Mindless Zombie gore fest + multiplayer? Nahhh...

Holy ****, never become a games designer.

I am pumped. This'll be epic.

Looks alright (co-op is always fun). I wouldn't touch anything from Valve other than Portal with a ten-foot pole, though.

Yeah, that's a good point. You wouldn't want to play the games of the best FPS developer out there or anything. :lol:

AI is nice. Basically, regular zombies just run and mob you. Boss zombies do a pretty good job of ambushing you when your team is spread out a bit, or when you're busy. The AI director is nice. Keeps you on edge, you never know when the next swarm is coming.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You wouldn't want to play the games of the best FPS developer out there or anything. :(
I think it's time Valve stopped living off the hype of the grossly overrated HL2 and Xpacks... there are far better games. This may be a step in the right direction, though.

AI is nice. Basically, regular zombies just run and mob you. Boss zombies do a pretty good job of ambushing you when your team is spread out a bit, or when you're busy. The AI director is nice. Keeps you on edge, you never know when the next swarm is coming.
Yeah, I've read about the Director. Sounds pretty clever. What about friendly AI? I guess the point of the game is pretty much not to have any AI-controlled friendlies, but you never know.

I think it's time Valve stopped living off the hype of the grossly overrated HL2 and Xpacks... there are far better games.

Yes, like Half-Life 1!

But eh, they've still got one HL2 episode left to milk in '09, and frankly I can't blame them. It's a winning business model all round: the fans like it, there's plenty of fans, and you don't need to alter the engine or game mechanics at all.

I would, of course, like to see them make some new stuff, though. Portal and Left 4 Dead seem like interesting forays into FPS gaming, but it's almost like they don't really know anything about making games besides Half-Life. But maybe that's a good thing. The people who do 'know' about making games seem to miss more than they hit, yet Valve only ever hits.

Half-life 2 was booooring.

Portal wasn't really a shooter though it was amazing. Left 4 Dead looks really fun but the Source engine is aging.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"