Which Fallout was the greatest?

Bokishi

poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fallout was the greatest?

• Fallout 1
    • Fallout 2
    • Fallout 3

Fallout was in many ways "better" and felt more consistent throughout the game. Fallout 2 (and BG1 for that matter) had way too many easter eggs. However, the simple improvments in inventory management and sheer size of the game just gave so many hours more of joy. Fallout 1 was too short. Fallout 2 gets the vote.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Fallout 1 wins. Still a great example to me on how a shorter game can make for a better experience. There's basically only one particular thing (the whole Thieves Guild thing in the Hub) which I felt was to tacked on. The rest of the game was consistant and didn't have any filler content (which Fallout 2 and 3, good as they may be, have plenty of).

After replaying it recently, I must say the combat was designed a lot better than I initially as well. The main exception being that of the giant battle of Adytum. But the rest of it is fairly contained, smaller groups battling it out. This is in contrast to Fallout 2 where you often run into encounters with two factions warring it out, with lots of players on either side. Not good design for a turnbased game, at least not if you don't have a "skip enemy turns" button

Fallout 3s combat is not that fun to me but it's the sheer amount which puts me off.

So yep, Fallout 1 is far ahead for me personally.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Fallout 2. I like the endless hours that it provided and the easter eggs.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

FO1 and 2 is sort of the same game so I see no point in comparing them.

...and where is FO:T and FO:BoS? :huh:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

woo F3!

Actually I probably would give the nod to 1, since it established the franchise and told a fantastic story. I wasn't a big fan of 2, I know people like the fact it was a lot of hours, but that was a negative for me. It dragged out and didn't hold my interest.

But I voted for Fallout 3 just to keep it spicy. It is fantastic and once I finish it, I'll be able to make a better decision.

Still haven't played FO3 so I can't comment. AM looking forward to trying it out though when time allows. I've always preferred FO over FO2 simply because FO2 always felt to me like an overlong rehash of FO. If I had played FO2 first I would probably like it more since there is more to it, but since in fact I played Fallout 1 first (many times over), it still gets a lot of points for being the first.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

FO2. No contest.

FO1 is aweosme; but FO2 is 'more of the same' but bigger so gets the vote.

FO3 is a Bethesda game so it automatically sucks, and is auto nominated for 'worst game ever'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

While I'm thouroughly enjoying Fallout 3 and in my eyes Bethesda has redeemed themselves with it, its still not as good as the first two. I preferred FO1 and 2 beefing up the play time with sidequests, where Bethesda beefed up the playtime with wandering the empty wasteland. And FO2 wins me over with the sheer amount of stuff to do in it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

FO2. No contest.

FO1 is aweosme; but FO2 is 'more of the same' but bigger so gets the vote.

FO3 is a Bethesda game so it automatically sucks, and is auto nominated for 'worst game ever'.

I'm not dissing your take on Bethesda, mostly since I pretty much share it, at least as far as the last couple ES games go, but aren't you at all curious to see if FO3 might not in fact be a decent game? I mean the reaction has been pretty good, and not just from reviewers but a lot of people right here, many of whom are a rather tough lot to please.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The sheer amount of buggy conversations, missing content, and utter bull**** (talking plants, constant breaking of the fourth wall, etc.) in Fallout 2 crippled the game, in my opinion. Fallout will always be the masterpiece. It's just the right length, has just the right amount of humor, and the atmosphere is maintained 100% the entire length of the game. Fallout 2 became a campy Hollywood sequel in comparison. Fallout 3 is a decent addition to the series and one of my favorite games of the last couple of years, but it's also very flawed.

I think that's what I look for in an all time classic--it has to be consistently flawless at what it offers and Fallout is definitely that.

I won't vote yet (since I haven't finished Fallout 3), but I played Fallout 2, Fallout and Fallout 3 in that order (not counting Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel..). I like Fallout 2 better than Fallout, mostly because I played it first and it was tough going 'back' in time to Fallout after that. Fallout 2 is in the lead right now, mainly because of the sheer size of it. There are so many quests, so many characters, so many funny situations, so much to see and do and re-do over and over again.. And I don't mind the Easter eggs and I enjoyed the humour.

Fallout 3 is a great game, but I don't think it will be able to topple Fallout 2. We'll see. I've already begun planning my second playthrough at least..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!