Fallout and the decade that lasted 125 years

Arkan

There is an interesting thread on the Bethesda forums about this subject. Take a look and tell us what you think:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=898582

It's about how, even though the war started in 2077, the worlds seemed to be stuck in the 1950's and what the reason for it is/was. Personally, I think it's just a unique setting for a game, but I like some of the views expressed in this thread.

PS: Drunk posting FTW!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

1. It doesn't matter to me that the socio-political climate in the US changed didn't change in the fallout'verse. As I've pointed out when people ask why Star Wars seems to always be the same over thousands of year: the rapid social and technological change we see in modern, Western countries is a historical aberration. We assume because the world we live in changes in a certain way that all worlds and cultures should do so, but that’s not necessarily true.

2. Who says that it was the 1950s for over a hundred years? They might have had the various social changes and then when the fight with communist countries like China broke out, backpedaled to what they viewed as a

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

^ What the hell is that an ad for?

I'm no expert, but that looks like a pr0no.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Probably laundry powder :rolleyes:

Wasn't it all just part of being "retro sci-fi perspective"? :huh:

Trying to match reality with fictive game settings always results in head aches. IMO of course.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"At least it is better than that ad which Heidi Klum playing Guitar Hero in her undies."

No.

More ads that feature heidi Klum in her undies ftw. :thumbsup:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"At least it is better than that ad which Heidi Klum playing Guitar Hero in her undies."

No.

How about Kobe Bryant, Tony Hawk, Michael Phelps and Whasshisname playing in their boxers?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Heidi Klum's measurements are 35-24.5-35.5, but it will be often given as 34-24-34 as her real measurements are consudered too 'heavy' for a runway model.

In what bizzaro reality is this considered to heavy?

The Guitar Hero ad. I think she looked sexier with the man's shirt on than when she took it off.

And yes, it was an ad for A&F.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

No.

How about Kobe Bryant, Tony Hawk, Michael Phelps and Whasshisname playing in their boxers?

dunno about anyone else, but i don't find any of those people the least bit attractive.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

... Sigh I miss my body from when I was still one of the top butterfly swimmers in the league...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think analysing why fictional universes are the yway they are can be interesting, but when it gets too serious it becomes ridiculous. Like on the old Interplay boards, the discussion on why DnD trolls are killed by their own stomach acids.

Swimmers bodies are supposed to be all that, but it ain't true of female swimmers. No it most definitely isn't.

Oh, and to answer Maria Caliban's question, no I don't know anyone who dresses like that because I don't know any douches.

... Sigh I miss my body from when I was still one of the top butterfly swimmers in the league...

You still look like Clark Kent though, right?

Edited by Hell Kitty

I think analysing why fictional universes are the yway they are can be interesting, but when it gets too serious it becomes ridiculous. Like on the old Interplay boards, the discussion on why DnD trolls are killed by their own stomach acids.

Is ridiculous a bad thing?

I am sure there are deeply important and serious questions that I ought to be asking myself, but I don't come on a gamer's message board for those.

Also, acid stops a troll from healing, but isn't anymore damaging to them than it is to a human. Their stomach acid doesn't hurt them for the same reason our stomach acid doesn't hurt us: it's too weak to distroy the protective layer in our belly.

Is ridiculous a bad thing?

As someone pretty ridiculous, the answer is no. But I prefer interesting and fun to ridiculous and serious.

Also, acid stops a troll from healing, but isn't anymore damaging to them than it is to a human. Their stomach acid doesn't hurt them for the same reason our stomach acid doesn't hurt us: it's too weak to distroy the protective layer in our belly.

Dear Maria Caliban,

Please give yourself an uppercut.

Love,

Hell Kitty

Checkered b00bies FTW!1

How puerile can you... hey, wait. You've got a point!

As far as the decade hundred years thingie. I agree with Gorth. It's the setting. Far more jarring to me is the idea that folks living in rivet city never clean any of the crap sitting around. I mean, all that time someone would have cleaned up crap in the hallways if for no other reason than make it easier to walk around in them. Still, do I really care? No. It's part of the setting and not really all that jarring. Like the kid thing. Society would have died off if that's the number of kids they have. Society is in immediately danger of dying off if that's the new birth rate. Still, maybe there are other kids we don't see. Maybe they've got children in hiding. Who cares? The game is tons of fun and I'm convinced that there are more titles to be made for the franchise.