Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Discussion

Darque

Questions on the digital downloads: What happens if you reimage your computer? Does the digital download version let you get an actual executable that you can launch at any time, so that if you do reimage, you only need run that executable and have the serial number handy? Finally, do all three components have to be DD in order to avoid the DVD check (which is EXTREMELY annoying)? I didn't see answers to these in the Atari DD instructions.

Edited by deganawida

It's out for digital download on Atari and D2D for those of you who like that kinda stuff.

that's how i got the witcher enhanced. worked out well. only took a few hours and i kicked it off before i went to bed one night. i'll have to check this out! :huh:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Questions on the digital downloads: What happens if you reimage your computer? Does the digital download version let you get an actual executable that you can launch at any time, so that if you do reimage, you only need run that executable and have the serial number handy? Finally, do all three components have to be DD in order to avoid the DVD check (which is EXTREMELY annoying)? I didn't see answers to these in the Atari DD instructions.

This is from my experience with NWN2 via Direct2Drive and MotB via Atari, since I can't access how my Zehir is doing at home right now.

Re: Atari, basically, you get a file that you can use anytime, and activate via a code. If you're not connected to the internet when you're activating the game for the first time, you need another code they send you by email. IIRC, this only applies the first time you launch the game. Apparently, the rest of the time, it just behaves like the regular version, only you don't need a disk in your drive. Re: redownloading your file somewhere down the line, you only have 30 days to download and redownload it. If you pay a few bucks, you can extent it to 2 yrs. Non-issue if you make a back-up DVD with the file and code.

Re: D2D, IIRC this is a bit more restrictive. NWN2 only allowed me to install in one computer at a time. I forget about how often you can redownload, but you can just back-up the file anyway. Also, you need a special D2D patch, whereas I think Atari's only needs the regular patch. D2D and Atari are compatible. I can't check with a retail copy. However, when I installed NWN2 in a second computer, it wouldn't let me play because I already installed it on another copy. After applying the Atari MotB, it ran fine. I think the latest xpac overrules the previous. Sure you'd need the Zehir disk if you bought it retail, it makes sense (but can't confirm) that you won't need any disk if you use a DD version of Zehir.

From comparing D2D and Atari, I'd recommend the Atari one.

In case that was confusing: you only need the file and code. And I *think* you don't need a dvd in as long as your latest xpac is DD (the one for which the disk would need to be inserted if it were retail)

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This is from my experience with NWN2 via Direct2Drive and MotB via Atari, since I can't access how my Zehir is doing at home right now.

Re: Atari, basically, you get a file that you can use anytime, and activate via a code. If you're not connected to the internet when you're activating the game for the first time, you need another code they send you by email. IIRC, this only applies the first time you launch the game. Apparently, the rest of the time, it just behaves like the regular version, only you don't need a disk in your drive. Re: redownloading your file somewhere down the line, you only have 30 days to download and redownload it. If you pay a few bucks, you can extent it to 2 yrs. Non-issue if you make a back-up DVD with the file and code.

Re: D2D, IIRC this is a bit more restrictive. NWN2 only allowed me to install in one computer at a time. I forget about how often you can redownload, but you can just back-up the file anyway. Also, you need a special D2D patch, whereas I think Atari's only needs the regular patch. D2D and Atari are compatible. I can't check with a retail copy. However, when I installed NWN2 in a second computer, it wouldn't let me play because I already installed it on another copy. After applying the Atari MotB, it ran fine. I think the latest xpac overrules the previous. Sure you'd need the Zehir disk if you bought it retail, it makes sense (but can't confirm) that you won't need any disk if you use a DD version of Zehir.

From comparing D2D and Atari, I'd recommend the Atari one.

In case that was confusing: you only need the file and code. And I *think* you don't need a dvd in as long as your latest xpac is DD (the one for which the disk would need to be inserted if it were retail)

Thanks, Llyranor! The local Wal-Mart doesn't have it yet, and the local Gamestop does have it but isn't putting it up until later in the week, so the digital distribution option (or a 3 hour round trip) are my only options to get it within the next couple of days.

Edited by deganawida

Actually, ther'es been tons of word on the trading system and interatcing companions. *shrug*

Also, is that a rveiew? It sound more like a 'thoughts in progess' much like my 'Volourn's Early Impressions' type threads. He's only met two companions so far so very unlikely he's deep into the game at all...

I'm perfectly fine if you want to classify with what I wrote as something less than a full blown review. I'm not bothered by the semantics in the least. I would have replied sooner to the complaints but this was the first opportunity I have had to do so.

As I admitted in the write-up, I did NOT have as much time to play the game as I wanted NOR did I get as far as I wanted. Unfortunately, my copy of the game arrived later that I had expected and I was already committed to house hunting trip starting on the 15th. That meant dropping the cats off at the vets that afternoon, packing, having the mail held, etc, then leaving the morning of the 16th and then returning on the 21st.

Since waiting until the 21st would have rendered any review uselss as the game would have already been released, I opted to go with something less than I would have liked simply because I felt I owed the folks at Obsidian and Atari a review, and attempted to do the best job I could in the limited time I had available. Unfortunately, that left me barely a full 24 hours to play the game.

Should I have opted to write nothing? In all honesty, I thought the answer to that was unmistakably NO. So I opted to write up my notes on that basis and stated that clearly in the write up.

I simply couldn't answer some of the questions people had, such as: does the ending satisfy? do the characters interactions improve? do choices matter? I did run into several instances where some interesting choices were presented, but as to what the long term impact of those choices were is simply something I wasn't able to comment on.

The one point I probably failed to make as fully as I should have is that the plot, as might be expected, does unfold more slowly than it does in MotB or the OC or even MoW. In those three titles it's clear from the beginning what your purpose is and what you need to do. In SoZ, things are different; you're in a strange new world and part of the fun of the open ended exploration that comes with the game means that for people who like to explore that things will see that plot evolve more slowly. There's also a certain fog that envelops what's going on in Samarach and it takes some time to discover exactly what is happening.

I'm sorry if any of the furor over the "review" has distracted people from what I think is quite simply an exceptionally fun game to play (and is beautifully crafted to boot). My apologies to Tony Evans, Anthony Davis and the rest of the Soz team for not being able to do a more in depth review.

Cheers,

kgambit

PS: Anthony, I actually did get to the point (and considerably) beyond where I could have initiated the trade system, but with a single skin avaiable for trade, I didn't feel like that was worth testing at that point.

Edited by kgambit

SoZ is out?! Where was the fanfare?

Getting a new laptop this Sunday, though I'll have to wait until I get back home and get my NWN2/MOTB cds the week after to buy this.

Come on people, early impressions!

I haven't touched it much, actually. Just got in the game, got to hear awesome menu music, and made a Gabrielle character. I skipped the dialogue and quit the game afterwards! I'm just waiting to play it co-op later in the week.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

5(+)GB worth of new content for an expansion? That's quite impressive.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It was still on the "coming soon" shelf in EB Games down here :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

WHAT. THE. ****?

How do I get my copy nownownownow?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.