Missing Black Isle

What? I'm just downloading my copy from Steam now. There's no levelling BS, which means Bethesda listen to my shrieking, and you can actually talk to people. I know we can't shoot the nuts off deathclaws any more (how else am I going to do it?), but otherwise fair enough, surely?

I nearly didn't buy it because of secuROM, but the secuROM appears to be a simple disc check. Which I won't face in any case, through steam.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Shrews? They?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Shrews? They?

Yes... all moderators are shrews...

And Fallout three is a good game. don't knock it without actually saying somthing about why you don't like it. it's bad form.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The mechanics of the game are very, very similar to Oblivion. You can definitely tell it was made by the same people.

The feel of Fallout is still there, however. Not in the interface, but in the feel of the setting and the story and even the quests--which I never would have expected the people who made Oblivion to pull off. The retro-fifties influence is still there, in fact even stronger than it was in Fallout 2. The writing is at least as good as Fallout 2, which frankly I thought was deeply flawed. Though you can tell the game was made by Oblivion designers, you can also tell that it was designed by real Fallout fans.

The game is wildly different mechanically from the real Fallout games--I don't really consider it as much of a sequel as a spin-off like Tactics. It is however an extremely good spin off very deserving of the succeeding the Fallout series. Especially when you consider that there probably wouldn't be another Fallout at all if Bethesda hadn't been fans.

With the exception of toggling first person and third person view, Fallout 3 has little in common with the Elder Scrolls. Different rules system, different setting, different feel, and far far differing gameplay. Given the advances in computer technology than from a decade ago, I say Bethesda's Fallout 3 is indeed a proper Fallout game.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Here I was thinking I was playing Fallout 3! What a fool I was!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This really doesn't need to be in computer and console. It's just a trollish post by a person who hasn't even played the game, and we already have plenty of Fallout talk in other threads.

Edited by Hurlshot

Oh man, Hurlshot, you just got burnt *AGAIN*.

Anyway, looks like the reception around here is more positive than I'd expected overall, aside from the usual suspects. Not that I particularly care too much at this point, given that I have little nostalgic value related to Fallout (series was ok/good, I don't give it too much value), and the past 2 Bethesda titles have been absolute trainwrecks despite positive reviews, and I still haven't seen anything to make me try out the game. The more writing talent Bethie gets, the better. Good think they already started with George Ziets.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Mixing anything with Oblivion leaves a pretty unpleasant taste.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Mixing anything with Oblivion leaves a pretty unpleasant taste.

In your opinion...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Of course it's her opinion. Why should she be required to tell you someone else's opinion?

I'm not surpised by how much Oblivion went into Fallout 3. I'm surprised by how much didn't. Fallout 3 still has a lot in common with Oblivion, but it is superior in every way. Oblivion is Fallout 3's older, stunted brother. Fallout 3 got all the looks and the brains in the family. Bethesda went through their new parenting experience with Oblivion and brought up Fallout 3 just right. If Oblivion and Fallout 3 weren't brothers, Fallout 3 could kick sand in Oblivion's face. Fallout 3 wouldn't, because it's been brought up to care for the less fortunate... but it could! Fallout 3 can divide by zero.

These are all my opinions.

Except for the divide by zero thing. That's a fact.

Seriously, it's not perfect. Too bad, I'd love to give a perfect score to a game. It's damned good though.

Instead of looking at it so negatively... can't we just say it's a great mix between fallout and oblivion and enjoy it for what it is?

They could, yes.

Ha, you must be new. CrashGirl is a dude.

It's the misleading name. People think I'm a woman all the time as well.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.