What are you playing now?

Gorth

stupid hack and slash rpg like diablo or is it more to it?

There is much, much more to it than "stupid hack and slash." :p

EDIT: I'm mainly playing the Left 4 Dead demo and Fallout 3.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

picked up a few games recently, but what to play:

bioshock

sins of a solar empire

jade empire

gears of war 2

galactic civ

the witcher

i've just finished playing fallout3 and mass effect and enjoyed both of them, so i wouldn't mind another action rpg. is bioshock, which i've heard is similar, any good?

what type of game is the witcher? stupid hack and slash rpg like diablo or is it more to it?

I'd advise leaving Galactic Civilizations till last. That thing sucks up hours almost as badly as Sid Meier's Civilization games. :(

Bioshock is no action RPG. It's a shooter, with upgradeable abilities and weapons, but definitly not an RPG. That said, it's an amazing shooter. Just don't buy into the hype about choices, and you'll enjoy it.

GoW 2... Keep it for multiplayer later.

Actually, a lot of these games are very addictive. Take your time.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I just played through Arcanum again, to get the blessings of the gods right this time...

It's so sad there's no Arcanum 2... I'd even be happy if Bethesda picked up the rights to make a sequel!

... or maybe not :(

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I just played through Arcanum again, to get the blessings of the gods right this time...

It's so sad there's no Arcanum 2... I'd even be happy if Bethesda picked up the rights to make a sequel!

... or maybe not :(

I'd enjoy anything steampunk, even if it is made by Bethesda.

Go Go Arcanum With Guns

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bioshock is no action RPG. It's a shooter, with upgradeable abilities and weapons, but definitly not an RPG. That said, it's an amazing shooter. Just don't buy into the hype about choices, and you'll enjoy it.

GoW 2... Keep it for multiplayer later.

Actually, a lot of these games are very addictive. Take your time.

ok, but i like shooters as well as long as there is a decent story behind it, some variability, a little bit of conversation and progressively improving character. for instance deus ex.

think i'll try out command&conquer red alert 3 first. a big c&c fan and wouldn't have to learn how to play the game first. as i would with gc2 and sins of solar empire, which i think are two excelent games.

gc2 and sins of solar empire, which i think are two excelent games.

Yes.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Go Go Arcanum With Guns

Arcanum with guns? Doesn't make sense, somehow... :p

It's a play on the "Oblivion with Guns" thing for Fallout 3...

But I really think an RPG in a steampunk setting would be great. Steampunk settings feel too unused.

It's a play on the "Oblivion with Guns" thing for Fallout 3...

I know, but it doesn't really work as Arcanum already has them... :lol:

I know that you know, but do you know that I know and that is was half the joke?

... pointless debating, much?

I wouldn't even mind a steampunk clone of Mass Effect at this point.

Red Alert three...

My Soviet Campaign stalled out when I had to fight with 2 opposing factions after my funds had been drained.

My Allied campaign I just started and I haven't touched the Empire.

Thoughts:

The game seems to lack a real connection to the previous titles. SURE the Allies still have Chronosphere tech and the Soviets have Tesla Coils but they don't have the level of usage that they had back in RA2 (no Tesla generators. Tesla tanks got replaced by a naval/ground unit.) and the Allies (from what little I've seen) Don't seem to have anything in common with the Allies of RA2. There are little things here and there (Von Eisling AFB in Iceland. Von Eisling was the Supreme Allied Commander during the first war) but they don't have the controlled zanyness that RA2 had. Instead some of the units seem like they've been created at a whim. The allies now use attack dogs, while the Soviets use... bears. yes Grizzly Bears that will maul any infantry and stun them with a cry. No Psychic Commandos, no Rocketeers... I donno, the tone feels different than RA2. Also the Emphasis on hot chicks is misplaced in my opinion. The new Tanya doesn't seem right after the other Two actors were Brunettes. And the Soviet superinfantry is Natasha a sniper chick who's uniform looks like it was made out of plastic rather than anything useful. Why could they stick to the guy that worked... Boris and his dog Ivan? Boris being a AK wielding supersoldier who targeted buildings for airstrikes (not unlike natasha which makes you wonder why they changed the character at all). Also every unit has a secondary ability for a specific situation. Conscripts have the ability to swap to molotovs, Peacekeepers (replacing the Allies standard GI's) can swap to riot shields, and then there's transforming robots that switch between air mode and land mode.

There is an Emphasis by the game on the Naval portion of the game, you can actually build most of your base on the water, but not all units are amphibious, and they took away a standard transport and left the Russians at least with a helicopter that can carry.... ONE tank. which means either you spend stupid amounts of cash to get your entire tank force rushed in at the same time (and giving them a chance if landing in hostile territory) Or you find a spot that looks empty do your darndest to secure it with either a team of infantry and maybe a naval team that's missiles don't track moving units very well then nickle and dime your armor into position.

and for what I've seen of the new team (Empire of the Sun, who's Emperor is played by George Takei) it seems like the dev team said "what's Iconic about Japan?" and promptly put all of that into the game. You've got transforming robots, a japanese schoolgirl as the commando, a giant robot that looks like a feudal japanese warrior.

Also the new Allied commander (ostensibly you're supposed to play the entire game Co-op with a friend) is (depending on the situation) either Really good (he completes objectives before I can get around to it in the early levels) or terrible (can't figure out how to get an aussalt team across the lake to hit the enemies base so it starts building the heaviest navy it can... which is useless when the opponents navy/air force is making constant passes demolishing anything new on the water).

The story side of the game is... unsound to say the least, basically the soviets do the exact same thing as Einstien did back in '46 and go back in time and kill someone (Einstien killed hitler, the soviets kill Einstien). the Repercussions from this action are supposed to explain the fact that theres different commanders, different technology, and the fact that the Soviets can't use their staple that's been in the games since their creation, the Soviet Nuclear Arsenal. However this falls flat on it's face when the Allies start zapping in troops with a Chronosphere. For those who weren't paying attention or have never played a red alert game, the Chronosphere is a weapon designed and created by Einstien in 1946. Initially he used it to go back in time (as I mentioned before) and kill Hitler as Hitler is released from prison in Munich(?). Now the Soviets at the beginning of the game are able to jury-rig their own version and go back in time and kill Einstien before the events or Red Alert 1. So, Einstien is not around to give the Soviet Union nukes but somehow the Allies still have the Chronosphere technology and mirrors of the other toys Einstien came up with during Red Alert 2.

I donno maybe I'm nostalgic for one of the better Strategy games to grace computers in the past 10 years but this game just doesn't sit right with me. It's an Ok game if you are willing to suspend disbelief at the plot, but the Co-op would have been better implemented with either an entirely different campaign devoted to it for each faction, or they went back and retooled all the levels and designed them around a solo mode and a coop mode and leave the allied commanders out of it. Its a fun game, if you look at the game by itself with a few problems. but I think they should have toned down the unit ideas (I still can't believe one of the units is a trained attack bears... at least with giant squids you had an explanation that Yuri was in their heads.) Also the levels seem to lack a personality that they had back in RA2. I have yet to run into a mission like the one where you had to defend a Soviet Battle Lab from allied spies and troops that were chronoed in behind you're lines. Or the massive siege of Moscow, or any of the set pieces the old team used (how could we forget the collapse of the statue of liberty in the first allied mission? or the defense of the pentagon?) Red Alert three seems to have taken instead of the slightly (only slightly) grounded technology and iconic battles of Red Alert 2 and amped up the tech and left the iconic battlefields behind.

All in all I'll just say its an OK game with a few plot holes that you could drive a semi through. I'll probably add a few posts about it as I work with the other factions more.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Restarted my Fallout 3 game with a slightly different character.

I should have named my character Shooty McFaceshooter though. :sorcerer:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Icewind Dale 2.

multiple roleplaying options and tactical combat hitting my head and punching my stomach, oh god its heaven

Oh yes. Barbarian/Druid is pure win.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I went on my first raid in LotR Online. It was fairly exhausting, we beat a few bosses but I didn't get anything neat. I'm not really sold on raids, but I might go back again.

I was glad to see that despite my n00bness, there are always bigger morons in a group of 24 than me.

I've been issued a kind of amber alert about playing too much Fallout 3. I'm playing through now for the third time on the highest difficulty level. Believe me when I say you should immediately crank up teh difficulty. It is like fresh coriander in a curry.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.