I only told you to balance the equation!

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...really-end.html

I think this is a blindingly good idea. We should put in our own plan to save the gold at the end of the classic film.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

All you need is this: :sorcerer:

92macgyvertoolgr3.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They could use superconducting magnets to haul the gold to their side of the bus. Unfortunately gold is not a magnetic metal in its natural state and so would have to be vapourised to a blindingly hot cloud of plasma which would then be charged and then pulled by the magnets towards the waiting heisters.Of course, a cloud of superheated metal rushing through the bus would pose one or two problems of its own, but I'm sure Charlie Croker would have an idea for this too.
Seriously, WTF?

Anyway, didn't know there was a 60's Italian Job - I'll have to dig it up.

They could use superconducting magnets to haul the gold to their side of the bus. Unfortunately gold is not a magnetic metal in its natural state and so would have to be vapourised to a blindingly hot cloud of plasma which would then be charged and then pulled by the magnets towards the waiting heisters.Of course, a cloud of superheated metal rushing through the bus would pose one or two problems of its own, but I'm sure Charlie Croker would have an idea for this too.
Seriously, WTF?

Poor chap. I'm going to wager you prefer it. Well, it doesn't have Charlize Theron, but it's a much better film.

Anyway, solutions, people!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Seriously, WTF?

You can't go wrong with Michael Caine and Benny Hill.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually on topic, I found a great mashup of De La Soul and the theme from the film, which has the end scene at the end of it.

So:

1. Everyone has to watch the film (again if necessary)

2. We all need to speak like Michael Caine

3. We need to come up with a genius solution to the problem

-Elwood Blues

Ok, how much are you going to pay us again.

I tell you what, happy-pants. You can keep the gold in the van. It's for the kudos! :ermm:

Anyway, the way I figure it the basic problem is a pivot. Which means we have to lift up the gold, or hold down the driver's end.

However, that's just the momentary issue. The next level up we're trying to get the gold.

HOWEVER, going up a further level what we really want is both the gold, the van, and the fellahs inside.

Given this, the most obvious solution is to move the gold from the rear end of the van to the front end. This lightens the unsafe end, and weighs down the safe end.

All one of you with me so far?

-Elwood Blues

Given that people are the only ones in this situation that would be damaged by a fall from a cliff, why not get out of the van and let it fall over the cliff (or alternatively, if you want to avoid an explosion, throw the gold out) then go collect it afterward?

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Given that people are the only ones in this situation that would be damaged by a fall from a cliff, why not get out of the van and let it fall over the cliff (or alternatively, if you want to avoid an explosion, throw the gold out) then go collect it afterward?

I like this idea, and wonder why it is not an option. I suppose you still have the problem of exerting a force on the gold. The question then becomes how you exert that force and why the same force cannot be applied in the other direction?

On the other hand you have a further point, which is that the gold in question appears to more or less exactly balance the weight on the counter-balance. Thus if only a small quantity of gold were ejected it might give enough play to retreive the remainder. How much gold would have to go to counter-balance the weight of one man?

A further thought occurs: why not add 'weight' to the safe end by tethering to the ground?

A further thought: If the front wheels could be made to sink into the ground, or adhere to the tarmac of the road, then this would assist in securing the gold. If the ground is soil, this could be achieved by water. But i think the trcuk is on teh tarmac, in which case the tires could be melted. However, this leaves the question of how to get the truck moving again later.

EDIT: Could soil be taken on to the truck at the front end? Counter-balancing the weight?

-Elwood Blues