The most idiotic EU invention?

I'm curious what aspect of the Star Wars Expanded Universe the fans dislike the most.

For me it was the ysalamiri, at first, despite my liking Zahn's fiction more than just about everything else in EU except maybe I, Jedi. Because my understanding of the Force is that "if it's alive, it's there in the Force, period". The Yuuzhan Vong race dethroned the ysalamiri as the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, for very much the same reason. Even if some race were to lose their own ability to manipulate the Force, it should certainly not give them special immunities against Jedi.

But nothing beats the Thought Bomb. I only learned about it today, and good god, what's THAT doing in a Star Wars universe?

So, anyway, what's your biggest peeve with the EU?

Right now my candidate would be Star Wars: The Old Republic :)

I agree with you 1000%.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm curious what aspect of the Star Wars Expanded Universe the fans dislike the most.

For me it was the ysalamiri, at first, despite my liking Zahn's fiction more than just about everything else in EU except maybe I, Jedi. Because my understanding of the Force is that "if it's alive, it's there in the Force, period". The Yuuzhan Vong race dethroned the ysalamiri as the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, for very much the same reason. Even if some race were to lose their own ability to manipulate the Force, it should certainly not give them special immunities against Jedi.

But nothing beats the Thought Bomb. I only learned about it today, and good god, what's THAT doing in a Star Wars universe?

So, anyway, what's your biggest peeve with the EU?

I love the ysalamiri addition to Star Wars, and I also loved Bane's Thought Bomb. I don't like anything involved with The New Jedi Order series. NJO was a tough story for me to get into.

It's a long list.

Yuuzhan Vong, Legacy comics (everything except for Darth Talon), backstory for SWTOR, Alek Squinjnehhfdlkjgulihkjdsbfvlkjrfhulkjdxnbvluilkhjnmus, lightsabers in the hands of non-Force Sensitives (though it actually worked with NK-Necrosis), everything post 32 BBY = Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker, how they ruined Darth Caedus, flow-walking (or whatever the heck you call that time travel crap), tendencies for the cliches, among other things

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Could somebody explain the stuff they're posting because I have no idea what most of it is. What I probably dslike the most is anything after the 6th movie because the Sith were supposed to be detroyed based off the prophecy so it just ruins everything.

I am not sure that it could really be summarised in a way that would make sense :lol:

The EU is the "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, which means all the stuff that you can find in novels, books and comics. Some of the publications are good, some are bad. What is being discussed is the ideas and storylines introduced which were not part of the movies.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mid-90s superweapon craze and the silliest ones produced by that, most of the stuff by Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson (he did invent a few cool characters tho), Legacy comics somewhat, though I don't really care outside about 0-40ABY and some of the Old Republic stuff. I mostly liked NJO and LotF, though the NR era I love most.

SODOFF Steam group.

Mid-90s superweapon craze and the silliest ones produced by that, most of the stuff by Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson (he did invent a few cool characters tho), Legacy comics somewhat, though I don't really care outside about 0-40ABY and some of the Old Republic stuff. I mostly liked NJO and LotF, though the NR era I love most.

wow.. you didn't care about the golden age.

The biggest problem with the books prior to NJO was that the different authors would change characters radically for their one story and then the next author would do somthing completly different. Probably the most obvious example of the character change was in truce at bakura where Luke became a christ figure. Then in Heir to the Empire he more closely resembles the movies.

Personally I think the worst idea for the EU was either the Vong (and the speed at which they became normal from implacable threat) and everything associated with them, or the Maw Installation and the Sun Crusher. Why? Kevin J Anderson had a superweapon-palooza happen because he thought up the idea for a secret installation buried in a black hole cluster.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think the whole Ceadus thing was. It started well and i liked the idea but just got silly. Also in the same series they introduced other Sith on Korriban in one novel then never mentioned them again!?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Could somebody explain the stuff they're posting because I have no idea what most of it is. What I probably dslike the most is anything after the 6th movie because the Sith were supposed to be detroyed based off the prophecy so it just ruins everything.

I am not sure that it could really be summarised in a way that would make sense :)

The EU is the "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, which means all the stuff that you can find in novels, books and comics. Some of the publications are good, some are bad. What is being discussed is the ideas and storylines introduced which were not part of the movies.

The prophecy was that Vader would bring "balance" to the force. Balance does not mean completely destroyed. It would mean the Jedi and Sith, or more accurately to the movies, the light and dark sides should be equal to each other (forever locked in battle with the light trying to "maintain the balance", really meaning maintain the control, and the the dark trying to take control) anytime one is greater than the other it is out of balance.

Also, My vote is the suncrusher. I hate the suncrusher.

"Balance" can be interpreted as many things. I think Lucas meant that destroying the Sith would mean balance, but we don't like to listen to him about everything, do we? The EU certainly didn't like to keep the Sith dead.

Superweapons: Looked like there was a some sort of one-upmanship about those. There's the World Devastators, gigantic space vacuum cleaners, though not as cool as the MegaMaid ("Mine is the most efficient.") Then there's the Sun Crusher ("Mine can blow up stars, is indestructible and pilotable by one person"), Galaxy Gun ("This one can blow up planets across the galaxy without having to move") and the Centerpoint Station ("Oh yeah? Mine can blow up stars without having to move!") Early SW RPG adviced to use grand schemes. "Don't blow up a bridge, blow up a planet." Those writers certainly listened to that advice. Besides the Sun Crusher, KJA had the Sith blowing up stars in the comics.

SODOFF Steam group.

I am not sure that it could really be summarised in a way that would make sense :)

The prophecy was that Vader would bring "balance" to the force. Balance does not mean completely destroyed. It would mean the Jedi and Sith, or more accurately to the movies, the light and dark sides should be equal to each other (forever locked in battle with the light trying to "maintain the balance", really meaning maintain the control, and the the dark trying to take control) anytime one is greater than the other it is out of balance.

Also, My vote is the suncrusher. I hate the suncrusher.

I believe Lucas meant that by balance everything would be at peace.

When one uses the lightside, their are in tune with themselves, at peace and calm... Balanced. The Dark Side draws on chaotic influences, it is turmoil within the Force. This is the imbalance. If the Dark Side was to be destroyed, there would be no more chaotic energies, no more turmoil in the force, and thus balance and peace would be achieved.