Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

Nuking a city full of innocent people isn't controversial enough to you? Selling children to slavery isn't controversial enough to you?
You know, that's exactly the wrong attitude. It shouldn't be controversial because, you know, it's a game. It's not real. It's no different from killing children in your mind, and far less worrisome. Catering and bowing down to the absurd sensibilities of idiots who can't tell the difference between fiction and reality puts one at the same level of those idiots. And, for many people, controversy is just another hobby.

And then there's the silly double standards you mention, and the fact that seems to have escaped Todd & Co, that nuking a town will result in the deaths of the children therein. Oh wait, it won't - they have godmode!

But the saddest part is that we are actually going backwards. You had functional hookers (fade to black, at least), child killing and other naughty things in both FO1&2... but stuff got toned down for 3, so the folks with the short tempers and zero tolerance don't get too angry.

I'm not saying you shouldn't *be able to* kill children in the game, but with what's already in the game, it seems like an entirely ridiculous complaint. :teehee:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think that coming across things like a wannabe super-hero battle between the Ant-Agonizer and the Mechanist already breaks the immersion a little bit more than not being able to kill children.

I'd have to agree with this as well. It doesn't have the over the top pop-culture stuff that Fallout 2 did but I still think Fallout 3 spreads itself to wide when it comes to the consistancy of content. Some of it is just silly and over the top, which is a shame because they've got some great stuff going occasionally.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think that coming across things like a wannabe super-hero battle between the Ant-Agonizer and the Mechanist already breaks the immersion a little bit more than not being able to kill children.

Oh, come now. That was a nice bit of brevity :teehee:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

BTW, I just

set off the nuke in Megaton

It was a beautiful sight.

I'm tempted to do that but it would kill my good Karma.

Save then do it, if only just to see it.

I thought the super hero thing was clever. Not only that, but I was able to use Child at Heart twice in that quest. ...And the second time on an adult. It was cool to use Child at Heart on an adult and I've been impressed at how well they implemented dialogue perks throughout the game. it's not over the top, but enough to be useful.

Edited by Aristes

Anybody else experiencing a sort of memory leak where the game will just come to a crawl and have to be restarted?

Nope.

Can you ever get back into 101?

Yes... at a certain point when in Megaton after completing some of the main story quests you may get an SoS from Vault 101. You will be able to collect the Medicine bobblehead on your father's desk if you missed it and pick the lock on the wall mounted safe in your father's office (if you've got 50+ lockpick skill by this point).

40+ hours in and I'm still really enjoying this game. I do think the leveling is a bit too fast, as I've still only explored less than half of the locations and have only completed a few of the main story quests yet I've reached level 20. I have done a ton of side quests though.

The game features some neat results to your actions. Apparently my character has redeemed Three Dog's faith in humanity and he's been talking on the radio about how I'm the 'best last hope for humanity'. Also, with the Moira quests:

I did every optional quest and helped write the book to the best of my ability. Recently I found a wasteland explorer who killed a molerat. He told me how the book we wrote allowed him to survive in the wasteland and feed his family because it was so well written. It felt very satisfying that spending extra time to do the optional quests resulted in a better book.

:lol:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Yep, they don't have to do anything. But not doing anything isn't the best way to do great games.

Being able to kill kids makes for a great game?

The fact that people make such a big deal about this and the sex/spooning thing is just further proof that developers shouldn't listen to fans.

Anyway, regarding going back to 101:

what happens if you killed the Overseer before leaving the first time

?

On completing the

Wasteland Survival Guide

, playing it straight the whole time,

I met a woman who claimed she treated it as some kind of bible, and my character was worried she took it all a bit too seriously.

Is this tendency of yours to misrepresent people everytime you get the chance a learned skill or you're just that obnoxious?

But to your question, no. More specifically, not by itself. But doing all within one's power to keep the player immersed without presenting her with invisible barriers and unkillable characters (regardless of whether they are children or not), now that goes a long way towards making a game great. But even that by itself doesn't make for a great game either, because no single thing can accomplish that - which highlights the fallacious nature of your question.

The fact that people make such a big deal about this and the sex/spooning thing is just further proof that developers shouldn't listen to fans.
That would be a good point, if anyone was making "such a big deal" about this. As far as I know, nobody has boycotted the game or broken up their disc based on not being able to properly sex up a hooker or anything. We're just discussing the game. Sorry if that bothers you, friend.

My dear friend random n00b,

Is this tendency of yours to misrepresent people everytime you get the chance a learned skill or you're just that obnoxious?

Cry me a river, you're a master of misrepresentation.

But to your question, no. More specifically, not by itself.

That's right!

That would be a good point, if anyone was making "such a big deal" about this. As far as I know, nobody has boycotted the game or broken up their disc based on not being able to properly sex up a hooker or anything. We're just discussing the game. Sorry if that bothers you, friend.

Boycotting or destruction of a product isn't making a big deal about it, it's extreme overreaction. I was referring to the fact that it seems to be such a popular topic out there in internet land, even articles have been written on the issue. But nevermind that, I'll be honest with you, yes, I am deeply bothered that people are discussing this issue.

Love and kisses, your pal,

Hell Kitty

Edited by Hell Kitty

Cry me a river, you're a master of misrepresentation.
And you're welcome to call me on it whenever I do it. This isn't one of those instances, so what you're doing basically amounts to "NO U". Great going.

That's right!
Yes. Please, continue. Your point...? I take it you have one, since you omitted the part of the reply where I made mine.

Boycotting or destruction of a product isn't making a big deal about it, it's extreme overreaction. I was referring to the fact that articles have been written on the issue.
That's a "big deal"? Some random person writing and posting an article on the www? How is it a big deal and not simply discussing a feature of the game and how it's an example of the developer's inability to tackle issues meaningfully? He's not even ranting about it - did you even read the article, or just hit "I'm feeling lucky" in Google and copy-pasted?

But nevermind that, I'll be honest with you, yes, I am deeply bothered that people are discussing this issue.
You need to work on your sarcasm. Edited by random n00b

Sure.

So, are misc radio signals (Sierra Lima et al) related to a (main?) quest or are they just for flavor?

from what I've read you can use them to triangulate on loot or other locations or somthing.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.