Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

Alrighty.

I just popped into my local Gamestop to purvey the midnight release event...

...and despite never having pre-ordered FO3 I walk out of the store with both the collector's edition lunchbox FO3 and the hardcover collector's edition game guide. Stupid h4wt-ch1ck-sales-strategy. :grin:

I guess I'll give this a spin and then post a running review. Please don't let me down like every one of your other games, Bethy. prayemoticon.gif

manthing2.jpg

Gerstmann gives it 4/5, though he has an awful lot of complaints. This is one of those games, like Oblivion or anything out of Lionhead, that requires a good few weeks of digestion before a proper verdict is to be rendered. The combination of polish and apparent ambition is enough to bowl over any reviewer who gets less than that amount of time with the game. As evidenced by the ridiculous scores.

I liked the intro:

You know, let's just break it down up top. Fallout 3 takes the base level action of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, changes the setting from knights-and-wizards fantasy to mutants-and-raiders post-apocalyptic Washington DC, sprinkles on a handful of systems and references that are designed to remind you of the previous Fallout games, and sends you on your way. It's successful at giving you meaningful moral choices that, in a lot of cases, reshape the game pretty dramatically. But at the same time, by trying to be a wide-open game that accounts for multiple play styles, you really notice it when you bump up against the technical and storytelling limitations of the game and its narrative structure.

Sounds like Oblivion with Guns (and some Tacked-On-CnC). Could still be a fun game. I'll wait for the price to hit the $30 mark.

Edited by neckthrough
2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Isn't it also something like the most torrented game as well?

That would be SPORE.

@crashgirl: There's some pretty heavy bastardization of SPECIAL in FO3. Most of the modifiers don't function in the way they did back in FO1/2.

In FO 1/2, couldn

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So far Eurogamer is making bigger jerks of themselves than usual... 10/10 for fable 2 (which is riddled with bugs), and now 10/10 for FO3... something is very wrong.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Maybe Eurogamer is short on cash and now they have to accept bribes from even small fish like Bethesda.

OMG teh difference! Go PC!

Beautiful, wonderful, PC! Mother of gaming!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

First impressions:

• A really novel take on character generation. To say any more would be spoiling it, but let's just say it's a little more involved than the normative character creation splash create that you normally get;
  • The third person camera is actually fairly impressive. Better than NwN2, KotOR, or ME in that regard. Unlike the broken 3rd person cameras in Morrowind and Oblivion, here you can actually control the depth of the third person view. This is really great as I tend to prefer 3rd person over 1st for RPG-FPS hybrids (V:tM, Deus Ex, etc);
  • There's REAL dialog this time, as opposed to that god-awful wiki dialog from the Elder Scrolls!
  • I'm using my Doc Holiday theme character from a page or two back (combined with the OK Coral Gunslinger Mustache), and it's been pretty hilarious so far;
  • Now it's time for me to leave the vault and enter the Wasteland!

manthing2.jpg

...and despite never having pre-ordered FO3 I walk out of the store with both the collector's edition lunchbox FO3 and the hardcover collector's edition game guide. Stupid h4wt-ch1ck-sales-strategy. :o

Translation: I went to the store at midnight to pick up a copy of FO3. Uh, I mean, there was a h4wt-ch1ck. At the end of an eight hour shift, she was dying to shove her assets in my face to get me to buy a game that the store will run out of by the end of the week. Did I mention I just happened to be in the area at midnight, and did not at all expect to see FO3 on the shelves? Total coincidence.

o:)

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Keep 'em coming, Jags!

We euros have to wait until Friday :(

KK!

• I'm really digging the subtlety of proximate causation. We've all been accustomed to expecting a particular ramification when engaging in an affirmative act (e.g. deciding to kill A, thereby giving rise to quest outcome B). But already I'm come across causative results from negative acts my Doc Holiday character didn't undertake. Example, a certain someone will offer to give you a weapon in anticipation of your danger. Naturally, taking it will help you immensely in overcoming the obstacles ahead. However, choosing to decline, gives rise to that offeror possessing that SAME weapon when, as fate would have it, (s)he encounters a life-threatening situation! Think of it like Witcher, but with a touch of subtlety absent the ham-fisted foreshadowing;
  • Also, don't sweat it if you put in an hour or so only to detest your character build. Like Oblivion, prior to vesturing out in the world, you'll get another chance to re-design your character;
  • TIP: For those FO1/2 purists who want to reduce real time combat to its de minimis presence, PUMP agility as high as your build allows (but at least 6 for meeting the pre-requisites of "Action Boy". That way, you'll have more than enough actions points to not even worry about engaging in real time. It's funny, my character almost has more action points than hit points! (not entirely surprising if you look at his physical prowess or lack thereof)
  • DOGMEAT'S BACK!!! :oo:):woot:

manthing2.jpg

Some stores say they will have it on Thursday, in Sweden atleast. And some of the smaller places will put it on the shelves as soon as they get it delivered instead of waiting for the official release

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You know what would be AWESOME? If the Fallout franchise was passed around like a french hooker.

Blizzard -> World of Fallout

Square Enix -> Final Fallout Fantasy

Even I didn't play Fallout 1 & 2. By the time I found out about these games (many years after they came out), they were not even on the shelves any more. I am looking forward to rectify that and enter the Fallout franchise with Fallout 3 though!