What you did today

Gorth

I didn't get to it early enough, and now my downstairs neighbor is going to need a bunch of work on her ceiling. This sucks.

It does suck. BUt at least it wan't your fault. I've flooded several ceilings by virtue of stupidity. I warrant you've not done so here.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Right now, I'm trying to convince myself that I like brown rice.

I like brown rice

It's really really nice

Because unlike white rice

It doesn't look like lice.

...it's not working.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've mostly been playing video games, watching the snow and hoping for another day off tomorrow. Someone came out in a golfcart and was doing donuts in the snow.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I didn't get to it early enough, and now my downstairs neighbor is going to need a bunch of work on her ceiling. This sucks.

It does suck. BUt at least it wan't your fault. I've flooded several ceilings by virtue of stupidity. I warrant you've not done so here.

Ok, the saga continues. We have to replace the water heater itself, which might be under warranty, I'll call about it tomorrow. If it's not, we are looking at about $1,000 there. I don't mind that too much, it wasn't a very efficient water heater to start with.

The neighbor's ceiling is another matter. Apparently she noticed it last night and asked another neighbor to help her set buckets up to catch the water. SHE DIDN'T THINK KNOCKING ON OUR DOOR MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA?!? I woke up and found it leaking prett steadily, if she had knocked on our door we could have turned it off earlier and prevented some of the damage at least.

Regardless, we'll be paying a couple thousand for the repair most likely.

Eh sounds like she was negligent in her own right as well. I'd pay half becuase she's an idiot.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

@taks: I smoked for a good 12 years, then quit. This period of clean living lasted for a good 4 years. Then I started back again last year and haven't stopped yet. And I actually need to, since my health is deteorating because of it.

24 years for me with bouts of no smoking in between. right now i'm in a bout of breaking down when i'm out on friday evenings (read: drinking with my friends), to the tune of 6-8 smokes once a week.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

...it's not working.

i hate brown rice. it tastes... wrong. just about every other kind of rice is cool, just not the brown stuff.

taks

That does sound bloody silly. If you have water coming through your ceiling and you don't fix it?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

...it's not working.

i hate brown rice. it tastes... wrong. just about every other kind of rice is cool, just not the brown stuff.

taks

What you want is wild rice, the long stemmed kind, it's almost impossible to make that stuff taste bad.

Brown rice brings back memories of growing up in a vegetarian hippie commune without a single set of working taste buds among them.

Me and my dad used to sneak off to the hot dog stand.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Quitting smoking is not hard, all you need is 24 hrs of cold turkey and the worst of the craving goes away. The trouble is finding something to do with your hands, they seem to be fidgeting for a smoke long after you have lost interest.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

This is my 13 month of not smoking after a 38 year habit. I still have cravings but the choice of smoking and dying in 5 years or so or not

smoking and living longer was a easy one. Plus I feel a lot better.

3rd day off in a row and winter break begins.

My little brother got the day off as well. Apparently the school buses were all cancelled today. While we are supposed to get a lot of snow today, it didn't start until about 9:30 so I think the bus drivers are just damn lazy. It doesn't help that they all got a day off about a week ago because the roads were too icy, yet everything in town was clear and it was only a very few county roads there were affected. :)

What you want is wild rice, the long stemmed kind, it's almost impossible to make that stuff taste bad.

coincidentally, i had wild rice last night for dinner. my wife brought home some dinners (i still haven't figured out the scoop on that) with wild rice in them. my favorite long-grained rice. tough call between wild rice and the shorter grained risotto stuff, which i also love.

btw, have you actually ever quit smoking and if so, how much and for how long? the first 24 hours is, if anything, the easiest IMO. i guess your brain still hasn't figured out what's up. it's the next two weeks that are horrendous while your body withdraws from the nicotine, then the mental addiction takes a few months before the anxiety leaves. even after years of being off nicotine, people still report having desires when they smell someone smoking. terrible habit to get into.

taks

coincidentally, i had wild rice last night for dinner. my wife brought home some dinners (i still haven't figured out the scoop on that) with wild rice in them. my favorite long-grained rice. tough call between wild rice and the shorter grained risotto stuff, which i also love.

btw, have you actually ever quit smoking and if so, how much and for how long? the first 24 hours is, if anything, the easiest IMO. i guess your brain still hasn't figured out what's up. it's the next two weeks that are horrendous while your body withdraws from the nicotine, then the mental addiction takes a few months before the anxiety leaves. even after years of being off nicotine, people still report having desires when they smell someone smoking. terrible habit to get into.

taks

Pretty much my case. The first time I stopped smoking was of my own free will, about 4 (or 5) years ago; coming up with mechanisms to replace smoking with something else. Going out for a stroll, going to the cinema, playing games, leaving a pack of smokes across the other side of the house, and so on. Eventually it went on like you described. Years later, I was pretty clean to the point of even disliking the smell of a lit cigarette. I won't go into how I got back into it again - suffice to say, stupidity seems a fair description - but I'm trying to quit it once more.

Edited by Diogo Ribeiro

for me, quitting is hardest when i'm drinking. well, friday night is pool night. i play on a drinking team with a pool problem. get the picture? :) what has helped, though i'm fundamentally against this, is the fact that smoking is outlawed in bars in colorado. this time of year, you have to freeze your arse off to get a smoke, which severely limits the habit. if we were still allowed to smoke inside, i'd probably go through two packs every friday.

taks

Thats always my question. I hear from people who smoke that the first times it burns all the way down. My dad said he tried once, it burned and never did it again. Its just stupid to me.

Edited by awsomeness

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Brown rice brings back memories of growing up in a vegetarian hippie commune without a single set of working taste buds among them.

Me and my dad used to sneak off to the hot dog stand.

Hah! I might have guessed it! Nothing like being raised by hiippies to impart a lifelong attachment to firearms, red meat, and central heating.

-Elwood Blues

I have trouble understanding why anyone STARTS smoking.

peer pressure. it's not nearly as bad when you're drinking, either, and drinkers tend to be smokers more often than non-drinkers.

i started before my 16th birthday, btw.

taks

taks

I must have quit and started again 10 or 20 times. I guess I'm slightly different in that I don't crave cigarette breaks like most smokers. I never smoke at work or at uni.

Unless I'm hitting the town, or having a drink, or relaxing in front of the computer or tv, I don't feel the urge.

Quitting actually hurts me more because my lungs start to realize what what I have been doing to them and they slowly start to expel the tar. The healing process is painful, you cough a lot and spit up brown loogies

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I must have quit and started again 10 or 20 times. I guess I'm slightly different in that I don't crave cigarette breaks like most smokers. I never smoke at work or at uni.

this is a slightly different scenario than someone smoking every day, all day, for years on end. very, very difficult to quit. i've been both ways and i'd say that i'm currently the part-timer as you describe, and yes, it is easier to quit from this perspective. in general, it does not bother me to not smoke at all. once i get to the bar, however, it's undeniable. 3 hours to go, in fact. :)

The healing process is painful, you cough a lot and spit up brown loogies

to the long-term smoker quitting involves what appears to be a mild cold, but for several months.

just went to REI, btw. REI has been a money pit for me this year. backpacking tent, backpack, air-mattresses (two base-camp varieties and one backpacking mattress), rain gear, trail pants, who knows what - the whole freaking store. i'm in there every month, if not every other week. i just got my wife a hydration pack for skiing (online) and went into the store to get her some fleece pants and some socks for me (smartwool light hikers, best socks for skiing that i've ever used).

taks