Firefox won't keep me logged in!

Arkan

This just started happening, and I've had to resort to using IE! YUCK!

Yahoo, forums, etc, all won't keep me logged in, even though I have cookies enabled, and the 'keep me signed in' box is checked where applicable. Is anyone else experiencing this after the most recent update? How do I fix this? I did a google search, and I couldn't find anything :x

Edit: Ok, IE seems to doing it, too.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Try emptying your temporary internet file(s).
For IE or Firefox? I cleared all my 'Private data' in Firefox.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yahoo, forums, etc, all won't keep me logged in, even though I have cookies enabled, and the 'keep me signed in' box is checked where applicable. Is anyone else experiencing this after the most recent update? How do I fix this? I did a google search, and I couldn't find anything :(

you should also check to see if your IP address is changing. that's the most common reason i have to login on my standard websites since they use your IP address for identification.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yahoo, forums, etc, all won't keep me logged in, even though I have cookies enabled, and the 'keep me signed in' box is checked where applicable. Is anyone else experiencing this after the most recent update? How do I fix this? I did a google search, and I couldn't find anything :(

you should also check to see if your IP address is changing. that's the most common reason i have to login on my standard websites since they use your IP address for identification.

taks

It's not the IP Address. It happens if I close firefox and immediately reopen it.

I don't care what Chrome does! I wanna use FF, just as I've been doing for the past 4 years or so. OS is Windows XP, add-ons include Footiefox, Forecastfox, download status bar, image zoom, google preview, image downloader, tab mix plus and pdf downloader. Worked fine till a couple of days ago, now just went nuts. Haven't changed anything, honest to God!

It's not the IP Address. It happens if I close firefox and immediately reopen it.

ah, yes, then it is not the IP addy. something must have gone awry with your cookies then. out of my expertise at this point.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

If someone finds out something, I'd be interested as well... My gf's FF 2 is randomly forgetting logins, sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes nothing wrong for a week. It isn't the IP either.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Passwords cleared with Clear Private Data

Firefox's Clear Private Data feature might be set to clear your passwords when you close Firefox.

1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....

2. Select the Privacy panel.

3. If Always clear my private data when I close Firefox is not selected, your Firefox is not set to clear your passwords when you close it. You can skip to the next section.

4. If Always clear my private data when I close Firefox is selected, click on the Settings... button.

5. Make sure that Saved Passwords is not check marked.

6. Click OK.

7. Click OKClose the preferences window. Firefox is now configured to not clear your passwords when closing.

Cannot use or save passwords after upgrading Firefox

If you have passwords that contain non-ASCII characters, there is a bug in Firefox 3.0.2 preventing Firefox from remembering passwords. For more information see Cannot use or save passwords after upgrading Firefox.

This might help.

Sorry, but those things are standard and we double checked that already :/ Ok, the bug you mentionned isn't "standard", and good to know. Man, I hate that ASCII-fixedness that causes so many problems for everyone in the world excpet in pure english speaking coutries...

Other suggestions, anyone?

Edited by samm

I'm using FF v3.03 The only add-on I have is download helper. I'm running XP (SP2, of course). It's not set to clear any active data on close, let alone passwords. Passwords aren't the problem, though, as they pop up when I begin to type in the username as usual. I just get logged out everytime I close FF.

I looked through the firefox directory on the hd and there is no folder for cookies, or cookies themselves, to be found. There's a temp folder that's empty. This is annoying because I hate using IE compared to firefox.

The cookies in ff 3 are stored in two files according to some internet searching: cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite (cookies.txt and something else for ff2), instead of one file per cookie like IE.

The cookies in ff 3 are stored in two files according to some internet searching: cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite (cookies.txt and something else for ff2), instead of one file per cookie like IE.

I did a search and no such files were found on my computer...perhaps I'll just reinstall firefox and hope it keeps all my other settings/extensions/etc.

Nope. Reinstalling didn't work.

Saw this on FireFox help site. Guy had the same problem.

Have you tried tools/options/privacy/cookies and click on exceptions ,add the sites you want to be kept logged into. after you have done that delete cookies as the ones you will already have will only be session cookies and go back to sites to pick up new cookies ,then goto tools/options/privacy/cookies and click show cookies and check the cookies of the sites you want to keep logged on by clicking on them to make sure they are not session cookies,this is what i do to keep my prefs +logins.

Saw this on FireFox help site. Guy had the same problem.

Have you tried tools/options/privacy/cookies and click on exceptions ,add the sites you want to be kept logged into. after you have done that delete cookies as the ones you will already have will only be session cookies and go back to sites to pick up new cookies ,then goto tools/options/privacy/cookies and click show cookies and check the cookies of the sites you want to keep logged on by clicking on them to make sure they are not session cookies,this is what i do to keep my prefs +logins.

Tried with Yahoo. Still logs me out as soon as I close Firefox.

Switched back to FF2 and everything works fine, now.

I'm running XP (SP2, of course).

Why of course? I'm running SP3 and it works fine. What's the reason with sticking to SP2?

Because I didn't know SP3 was out yet! Thanks for the heads up! :-