FO3 pirated in less than 24 hours after gold

Tigranes

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic...&highlight=

Some people are going around posting streams of themselves playing. This is pretty scandalous, I think. Pre-release leaks? Sure. The day it goes gold? Not so common. It's going to hurt Bethesda a bit.

This fast, I suspect a developer's family member, or something like that. It does suck, because logic or not, it's going to give ammunition to pro-draconian DRM arguments.

This fast, I suspect a developer's family member, or something like that. It does suck, because logic or not, it's going to give ammunition to pro-draconian DRM arguments.

How so? It's not a PC version that is floating around in the wild. :-

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic...&highlight=

Some people are going around posting streams of themselves playing. This is pretty scandalous, I think. Pre-release leaks? Sure. The day it goes gold? Not so common. It's going to hurt Bethesda a bit.

That sucks big time. :-

Of course, if it had draconian DRM that wouldn't really make a difference and it would have been pirated similarly fast anyway, but it might be erroneously interpreted in certain quarters as a pro-DDRM argument. They really ought to concentrate on closing those leaks with embeded unique identifiers per disc, rather than on using ineffective draconian DDRM.

Ironically it was the 360 version that was leaked, I guess "PC piracy" must now be moving to the "unblemished" consoles... :-

That is very interesting. I didn't know significant piracy existed on a large scale on consoles.

Console piracy seems more regional and not as widespread as PC piracy.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Ironically it was the 360 version that was leaked, I guess "PC piracy" must now be moving to the "unblemished" consoles... :-

That is very interesting. I didn't know significant piracy existed on a large scale on consoles.

It's there, you just need a chipped console -and sometimes not even that- and a DVD burner. In many ways it's simpler than PC piracy. :o

securom2gu8.png

It's there, you just need a chipped console -and sometimes not even that- and a DVD burner. In many ways it's simpler than PC piracy. :o

That's weird. I thought one of the main reasons why so many game companies are switching to supporting consoles is to avoid piracy. Indeed, I thought console is essentially a super-DRM-machine.

Indeed, I thought console is essentially a super-DRM-machine.

That's what developers want you to think, when in reality they're not at all secure.

I guess I learned something today. :- I don't own a console, so I guess the insecurity of consoles and the subsequent migration of developers to the secure board-game platform will not affect me directly. :o

Nevertheless, this is still bad news for Fallout 3. I hope Bethesda catches the leaker.

Edited by Magister Lajciak

You have to have an illegaly modded console to play pirated games, that's the difference. Statistically the rate of piracy on consoles is far lower than on PC's. It's just that in this case it was the 360 version that happened to be leaked, so anyone with a modded console can play it now.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I believe its a review version...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

You have to have an illegaly modded console to play pirated games, that's the difference.

Not always. There are now ways of playing burned DVDs on the 360 and Wii -I don't know about the PS3- without chipping the system. Just read some gaming new sites and you would have seen them mentioning these developments.

securom2gu8.png

So... one of the gaming sites or their staff leaked it?

Basically yes, or it was stolen... I blame mkreku, this is a standard Nightshape response to all or any screw up with the gaming media. *points* I r teh watching you.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

This doesn't seem quite as serious as being able to download it off the internet. Not that it isn't terrible, hopefully they can trace the leak, but I don't think it will be able to spread very quickly this way.

I thought the whole point is that it is now downloadable off the internet - maybe I am confused?

I dunno what Hurlshot means either, it's on torrent and file sharing sites.

You have to have an illegaly modded console to play pirated games, that's the difference.

Not always. There are now ways of playing burned DVDs on the 360 and Wii -I don't know about the PS3- without chipping the system. Just read some gaming new sites and you would have seen them mentioning these developments.

In that case they should've made it so there's an area on DVD that can be read but not written by normal DVD burners. Too late now I guess.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan