Custom character, or at least option for female

I know I find it a lot harder to connect to male characters, but at the same time, I don't like the weirdness that comes from having party members with little to no function once romantic options are removed...

What chick could *ever* stand Bastila (even if her "function" wasn't completely removed)? And to hear some guys complain about Carth & Atton you'd think they were being tortured or something to have to play with them. Not to mention, we girls always have our story lines highly mangled and unfinished... whee.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

What chick could *ever* stand Bastila (even if her "function" wasn't completely removed)?

Quite a few I know... :lol:

And to hear some guys complain about Carth & Atton you'd think they were being tortured or something to have to play with them.

Yeah, it's because they were gits - there are other games with male NPCs who can be romanced, if you so choose, that are not f-ing annoying. :bat:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

huh so that's what a female SPARTAN looks like huh?

maybe it's just me, but their MJOLNIR armour looks a teensy bit different to Master Chiefs. i wonder why... :lol:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

There should just be a law:P ... all games need to have both male and female.

Uh, no there should not. Some games are built around a certain person, or persons, and would not work if he/she/they were switched with someone else. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I think there would be a pretty huge disconnect for me if I had to play as a female. In RPG's, the player I create is the fantasy extension of "me" and my ideals. Thats why I always play as a "good" character (cant connect with the evil/jerk options). Also, I dont get any jollies from looking at a pixelated bum nor would I want to explore a romance with a male NPC. *projectile vomits* Maybe that makes me not such a good rpg-er but I can definately understand why a female wouldnt want to be forced to roleplay a male.

I feel this way, pretty much. When I can play a female character, I actually identify with her... sort of "become" her... and transfer my thoughts, feelings, and actions to her. When forced to play a male character, I can't identify with him and don't ever feel I "am" him. It's rather like sitting on his shoulder and watching him run around the world doing his thing, but not really emotionally invested in whether he succeeds or not.

Oh, and pretty much avoid all romances with a male character if possible. Damned Geralt had me feeling like a peeping tom every time a seemingly-benign conversation ended up with a lousy trading card! Now I can avoid them all... they do make me feel a bit, er, scummy.

I know I find it a lot harder to connect to male characters, but at the same time, I don't like the weirdness that comes from having party members with little to no function once romantic options are removed...

What chick could *ever* stand Bastila (even if her "function" wasn't completely removed)? And to hear some guys complain about Carth & Atton you'd think they were being tortured or something to have to play with them. Not to mention, we girls always have our story lines highly mangled and unfinished... whee.

I, for one, could not stand her.... until I played through as a male, then I saw her in a totally different light. I still don't like her that much, but I don't despise her anymore.

I think there would be a pretty huge disconnect for me if I had to play as a female. In RPG's, the player I create is the fantasy extension of "me" and my ideals. Thats why I always play as a "good" character (cant connect with the evil/jerk options). Also, I dont get any jollies from looking at a pixelated bum nor would I want to explore a romance with a male NPC. *projectile vomits* Maybe that makes me not such a good rpg-er but I can definately understand why a female wouldnt want to be forced to roleplay a male.

I feel this way, pretty much. When I can play a female character, I actually identify with her... sort of "become" her... and transfer my thoughts, feelings, and actions to her. When forced to play a male character, I can't identify with him and don't ever feel I "am" him. It's rather like sitting on his shoulder and watching him run around the world doing his thing, but not really emotionally invested in whether he succeeds or not.

Exactly.

An easy way to please both male and female audience without growing developers workload would be shemales.

OK! On a different note, I could be a senseless bastard and say that women are not the majority of the gaming community and therefore it's better to make a game with a male main character, you're addressing the bigger audience of the two. But I seriously can't think that way. If I was given the chance to play a female character with the voice of Jennifer Hale and the ability to romance Grey DeLisle's character, I'd probably be in pervert's heaven, but something most of you girls would ... well, it just might not be to your liking. Even so, that is not a legitimate reason to have female characters, what is a legitimate reason is what you ladies described.

Personally, I had no problem with Carth, but Atton was a little ... meh and that says a lot about the guy.

In most any BI games and recent Obs games, you could play a male or a female character, fallout, KotoR 2, NWN 2, no problem there. I would really hate to see women alienated from gaming because of this, after all, gaming isn't just a fun pastime, it's an experience, living out something that would never happen in real life, but in order to do that, you need to relate to someone, all the better if it is the main character. Being a male ... can't believe I said that ... anyway, being a male I have had no problem relating to the main character and sometimes, in games like Oblivion, I could easily play a female character without a problem, mostly because there was no feeling in that game, but that's just me.

I do believe that women have been neglected as a gaming community, I do believe that they should just as well have the ability to play s a female character and forward the need for more female main characters.

Edited by SirPetrakus

An easy way to please both male and female audience without growing developers workload would be shemales.

You just described every JRPG ever made.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Honestly, someone who can't role-playing the opposite gender has simply proven to lack role-playing skills since one of the main ideas of role-playing is being somebody you are not. Perhaps, those people are into the wrong genre of games. Just sayin'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You just described every JRPG ever made.

I disagree, though most jrpg heroes tend to be a little more ... feminine as far as looks go, they aren't THAT feminine. Except Locke from FF6.

Honestly, someone who can't role-playing the opposite gender has simply proven to lack role-playing skills since one of the main ideas of role-playing is being somebody you are not. Perhaps, those people are into the wrong genre of games. Just sayin'.

Well, the ability to identify with someone helps get into character, but to do that you need to find some common ground and then work on that. If there is no basis to begin with, then what?

I dont care wther the leading charactr is male or fmale as long as theyre hawt.

masseffect07.jpg

mass effect lady + jennifer hale = hawt

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

" then what? "

You role-play.

I'm not a mass murderer in real life (HONEST!) yet I've managed to role-play one in various games. *shrug*

"Well, the ability to identify with someone helps get into character, but to do that you need to find some common ground and then work on that."

Yeah, because we all know Anthony Hopkins is an insane yet highly intelligent cannibal in real life. Right.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.