Jack Thompson Has Been Disbarred

Yes, in thirty days he will no longer be licensed to practice law - and there's one other little detail as well, he cannot get that license reinstated. Oh, and don't forget the $43,675 fine either. :)

The Disbarment:

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

And His Response:

Link #1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Good for the world. I was in the courthouse when this broke (I sadly come from the same state as him). It was hilarious (all teh lawyers, etc. laugh at him). Good thing this finally happened.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Guys, you should at least explain who that man is...

You made me waste 20 seconds to check this out on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

ummm guys.

there is a problem.

the florida bar fired him.

he can STILL practice law in another state pending taking the bar exam in another state, and currently he can still speak a case in front of the us supreme court.

you have not heard the last of him.

although some people wish they never heard of him

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Guys, you should at least explain who that man is...

You made me waste 20 seconds to check this out on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Thompson's "high-profile crusades" have made him an enemy of video game aficionados. On occasion, Thompson has sparred directly with the gaming industry and its fans. In 2005, he wrote an open letter to Entertainment Software Association president Doug Lowenstein, making what he described as a "a modest video game proposal" (an allusion to the title of Jonathan Swift's satirical essay, A Modest Proposal) to the video game industry: Thompson said he would donate $10,000 to a charity designated by Take-Two CEO Paul Eibeler if any video game company would create a game including the scenario he described in the letter. The scenario called for the main character, whose son was killed by a boy who played violent video games, to murder a number of industry executives (including one modeled on Eibeler) and go on a killing spree at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Video game fans promptly began working to take Thompson up on his offer, resulting in the game I'm O.K - A Murder Simulator, among others. Afterwards, he claimed that his proposal was satire, and to date he has not made his proposed donation.

In response, Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the creators of gaming webcomic Penny Arcade and of the children's charity Child's Play, stepped in to make the donation instead, writing in the memo field of their check, "For Jack Thompson, Because Jack Thompson Won't." Afterwards, Thompson tried to get Seattle police and the FBI to investigate Holkins and Krahulik for orchestrating "criminal harassment" of him through articles on their site. Other webcomics have regularly incorporated references to Thompson, alluding to this incident as well as others.

This is still my favourite. He says he will give money to charity if certain terms are met, but then wont and tries to sue people who gave money to charity in his name. He really is a total douchebag.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

well, does he even have a license in other states? once you get disbarred in one state, i would think the likelihood of getting a license in another is probably reduced. enoch is a lawyer... how does that work?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

well, does he even have a license in other states? once you get disbarred in one state, i would think the likelihood of getting a license in another is probably reduced. enoch is a lawyer... how does that work?

taks

Unfortunately he should be able to get another liscense in any other state... that is, if he can stop condeming games long enough to take the test again.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

taks

Unfortunately he should be able to get another liscense in any other state... that is, if he can stop condeming games long enough to take the test again.

Would the committee that bars him simply ignore the fact he has been disbarred in other states? That seems silly.

I don't dispute that he CAN get barred in another state. I agree with the notion that it is less likely.

yeah, i don't know how it works. with a driver's license, you can't get one in another state if you have been revoked (or even suspended) in your current state. you'd THINK something similar, probably more stringent, would apply to law and medical licenses... right?

taks

Edited by taks

not really. it does mention that the bar is state/region dependent, which i already knew, but nothing on what happens if you are disbarred in one region and apply to the bar in another (obviously somewhere you don't already have a license for).

taks

Aside from wasting money and time, has he actually caused that much damage?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"