Baldur's Gate 3 rumor

funcroc

I don't remember, but couldn't you choose not to be a God?

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

A lot of deja vu here...

"

As for this topic: We already had a Baldur's Gate 3... it was Throne of Bhaal."

Nope. TOB was an expansion to BG2. Unless you think BGG3 would follow up two 100 hoursish games in BG1, and BG2 with 30-40 hours. L0L TOB was originally intended to be a full fledge sequel. But, it wasn't. It's an expansion.

"Too many years have passed and only the Bioware/BiS of old could pull it off."

Simply not true. Espicially since BIS was just the publisher. And, there are plenty of companies who could do it now.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This love of sequels really annoys me. I mean, I can understand execs loving sequels, but seeing the customers repeatedly clamoring for more of the same gets on my nerves.

Every time I hear someone talk about "franchises", while referring to games, I get urges to be violent.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

A lot of deja vu here...

"

Nope. TOB was an expansion to BG2. Unless you think BGG3 would follow up two 100 hoursish games in BG1, and BG2 with 30-40 hours. L0L TOB was originally intended to be a full fledge sequel. But, it wasn't. It's an expansion.

Simply not true. Espicially since BIS was just the publisher. And, there are plenty of companies who could do it now.

Would you name a few? None of present time developers have the skills or will to do a game that large and still good. Except Bioware.

Edited by Make2608

Would you name a few? None of present time developers have the skills or will to do a game that large and still good. Except Bioware.

Bioware certainly doesn't have the will do it, considering the games they released after BG2.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

there is only The Black Hound [/handwave]

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I would HATE to see TBH turn into a 4E project!!! :)

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

And the BG saga is over. Either make some kind of loosely connected prequel (as they originally planned to do) or start a new game within the city of Baldur's Gate...

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

"This love of sequels really annoys me. I mean, I can understand execs loving sequels, but seeing the customers repeatedly clamoring for more of the same gets on my nerves.

Every time I hear someone talk about "franchises", while referring to games, I get urges to be violent."

That's silly. Any intelligent consumer should want more of something they enjoy. I enjoyed the Bg series so why wouldn't I want 'more of the same'.

I like apples. I eat apples. I will continue to eat apples.

I like BG series. I play BG series. I will continue to play BG series.

"Bioware certainly doesn't have the will do it, considering the games they released after BG2."

Yeah. Games just as good, and pretty much all of them better at role-playing than BG2. *shrug*

"Would you name a few?"

Obsidian, Squaresoft, EA Developers, Lionhead Studios, Microsoft, LucasArts, Atari CD Project, etc., et.c.

And, no, I don't care how much you think x company sucks. Or that y company has never made a BG style game.

Guess what? BIO never did either before BG. They were making medical software for macaroni sakes!

"And the BG saga is over."

Nope. The lack of imagination I see on forums supposedly based around companies who make fantasy based games dissapoints and confuses me. By using our IMAGINATION, there's tons of ways to continue the BG saga. But, *sigh*, the lack of imagination is humourous.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Squaresoft

Now that would bring forth a storm like no other. ;)

Look, I think it's a 99% possibility that any BG3 in the works would not continue the story of BG1/2/TOB's protagonist; it might look at the Bhaalspawn saga from another angle and therefore approach that protagonist's story, but that's probably the extent of the connection.

So, it boils down to, a new game based around the Sword Coast characterised by big open world, tactical party combat, classic FR setting... heck, I'm all in for that. (Don't know enough about 4E yet to comment on that.)

"And the BG saga is over."

Nope. The lack of imagination I see on forums supposedly based around companies who make fantasy based games dissapoints and confuses me. By using our IMAGINATION, there's tons of ways to continue the BG saga. But, *sigh*, the lack of imagination is humourous.

Yes, I know there are multiple ways to continue the Bhaalspawn saga: a war among the gods, the main character loses all his powers and starts over again (just to name a few...) but I wouldn't be interested to play with the same protagonist from the original BG games.

I want something fresh and new...

Why can't people just let it die already?

wait, let it die?

better to ask people to stop poking the corpse. it's been dead for quite a while now.

and, besides, where do exactly do people think the BG series was going? you were a god by the end of ToB, they couldn't have wrapped up the story more completely. sure, you could always engineer some silly way to return (it was, like, the biggest level drain ever) but who wants to end out the saga with some sh1tty crock like that? it'd be the godfather 3 of CRPGs.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

It would be interesting to have Minsc and Viconia in your party again, the Bhallspawn shtick is pretty worn though. I suppose they could call it BG3 and have it be something else, with a few cameos and easter eggs to commemorate the past games.

I wouldn't want a PST 2 to continue the story either. It would be to revisit the NPCs and the setting.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

A lot of deja vu here...

"

Nah. There aren't any companies worthy of doing it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

About BG3 versus Throne of Bhaal.

Vol can bang on as much as he like about it being an XP. Yes it is, but that wasn't the original intention.

The idea was always to have a trilogy. Then it came to pass that they couldn't do Bg3. Why, I can't remember. I think it was either (a) NWN became Bio's focus or (b) something to do with WotC / the D&D licence. No doubt someone can provide us with the definitive answer.

So, as Dave Gaider has explained, the role that BG3 would have played was essentially crammed into ToB. I know a lot of people are indifferent about ToB (I liked it personally) but it is a pretty big XP with lots going on. OK, it's a series of boss fights, but those are one of the best bits of the series.

To say ToB isn't BG3 is technically correct, but a bit of a lawyer's answer. It's meant to be BG3, that's pretty unambiguous.

Anyway, any BG game would have to be 4E and is, ergo, screwed from the off.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I rather they not make a new DnD computer game. Not at all. A new DnD computer game would mean using 4e game mechanics and well, it is my humble opinion that 4e game mechanics largely sucks. Story aspects are great, game mechanics blow. Now if they want to make NWN2 expansions up the ying yang then I will be all for it. Let them make a BG game as a NWN2 expansion.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I rather they not make a new DnD computer game. Not at all. A new DnD computer game would mean using 4e game mechanics and well, it is my humble opinion that 4e game mechanics largely sucks. Story aspects are great, game mechanics blow. Now if they want to make NWN2 expansions up the ying yang then I will be all for it. Let them make a BG game as a NWN2 expansion.

Exactly my thought. The NWN2 engine is still viable...

Exactly my thought. The NWN2 engine is still viable...

I kind of agree too, but there is a way to make a new D&D game that would still use the 3.5E ruleset. The game would have to have been in production long enough before the announcement of 4E, so that it would be too late to change the mechanics now. If BG3 (and I know it would be Baldur's Gate in name only - otherwise it would be a new D&D FR game with perhaps some tie ins to the Bhaalspawn saga) has been in development for a while, it could be another hurrah (the last one) for electronic 3.5E D&D. I would welcome that and with an expansion (or more than one), it could extend the shelf-life of 3.5E D&D CRPGs considerably, though I fear that WotC/Hasbro would require it convert to 4E prior to its release for that reason even at the cost of delaying the game significantly.

As to NWN 2 expansion, I would say, "Keep them coming and I will keep buying!" As long as they are of good quality, and with Obsidian that is pretty likely, I will almost certainly keep buying as many NWN 2 expansions and for as long as they keep making them. I hope they do not stop with the Storm of Zehir. NWN 2 is a nice refuge for those of us who dislike the 4E ruleset.

After it becomes unviable to make any more D&D 3.5E games/expansions, I hope somebody makes a Pathfinder CRPG, which is sort of a living successor to 3.5E rules and certainly maintains the D&D atmosphere much better than 4E.

I wouldn't mind seeing Obsidian using the Electron engine for a new game for a change. Another hardcore PC RPG a'la Arcanum, Fallout or something new would be cool, even though this game would need to be self-funded (as Feargusaurus once stated). If that won't gonna happen, they still can continue making NWN2 expansions...but still?