Baldur's Gate 3 rumor

funcroc

Poor Jaesun's all caught up in it too.

It would be "neat" if their was some kind of BGIII (With the approach that The Black Hound was doing). But I doubt anything will come of this. It's just RUMARZ.

And since I am not a lawyer, I am curious how the whole trademark thing works.

No no, I mean in the "what are you playing now" thread Sand has you helping him "fix" some problem with NWN2, which he's never played before. :down:

ahhh ok I got ya. :D

Of note... ALPHA PROTOCOL Trademark is owned by SEGA. I thought this was to be Obisian's own IP? Well I guess it still is, but just owned by SEGA. Weird.

If Interplay in recent years has taught us anything, it's that when you're in dire financial straits you reach for the biggest IPs you can muster to rectify your situation. I think BG3 is a possibility, I don't know if I'd want to see it, but it could certainly happen. More time has passed between Fallouts 2 and 3, after all.

No no, I mean in the "what are you playing now" thread Sand has you helping him "fix" some problem with NWN2, which he's never played before. :down:

My problem is with MotB OC, not NWN2 OC, and to tell the truth I never played MotB expansion for all this time until recently.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Baldurs Gate died a long time ago... Anything else would just be another FR game, and BG only in terms of title... Bit like FO 3 really, same general spirit, different game.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Only Bioware or Obsidian are qualified to make a real BG3.

I would agree but we don't need a BG3. It should have been done in 2002-2003. If it was done now, it woukdn't use the good old IE engine, it would use some lame 3D engine with that ****ty 4th edition rules. I thought 3.x was bad but at least I tolerated it. 4th edition is the bane of D&D.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

hehe then again the name isn't very indicative as to what the game contains

after all, in Baldurs Gate 2, you never actually go to Baldurs Gate :rolleyes:

heh that is quite true.

Speculation on the codex is that CD Projekt would be the likely candidate to do a BG3. I have gut feeling, that could be quite true.

ToB is BG3.

It was always the intention to make it the epic-level third game, except it ended up as an XP.

The Black Hound was Interplay's (doomed) final hurrah - a D&D game using the BG brand but in fact something completely different. I'm sure JE will chip in if he thinks that this is an erroneous description.

So at the end of ToB you are a 50th level badass demi-god. For me, that's it. The end. Mission accomplished and game over. What on earth are you going to do in BG3? Huh?

I love BG. I also love Indiana Jones, which is why I didn't like the last movie. Stop flogging the horse when it's clearly dead.

The type of plot-wrangling you'd need to do to get any sort of credible link between a FR 4E (shudder) D&D game and the Baldur's Gate franchise would be meaningless to new players. I mean, I was pretty impressed by the candour which Obsidian displayed about the actual link between BG and The Black Hound, but look where that all ended.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

"ToB is BG3."

Nope. It's BG2: TOB, expansion to BG2: SOA. This is undisutable fact. Intentions mean nothing here only actualities.

A BG3 has potential to be awesome game. And, the BG/Bhaalspawn story doesn't have to be over. Does everyone here lack imagination? That's weird since fantasy is ALL about imagination. Use it guys!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"ToB is BG3."

Nope. It's BG2: TOB, expansion to BG2: SOA. This is undisutable fact. Intentions mean nothing here only actualities.

A BG3 has potential to be awesome game. And, the BG/Bhaalspawn story doesn't have to be over. Does everyone here lack imagination? That's weird since fantasy is ALL about imagination. Use it guys!

I dunno, is there really anywhere for the story to go?

Your PC pretty much comes into his destiny in any of the three endings.

I don't really follow D&D, but I head that 4th edition is set years into the future of the current setting? If they make a D&D game would they have to use the 4th edition rules? I wouldn't mind a totally new game with a new storyline set in the future in Baldurs Gate where you hear bits and pieces the history of the Bhaalspawn saga. Heck even some of the longer lived NPCs could make an appearance. Too bad Minsc is human. :lol:

Edwin would have no doubt been able to survive in some form. :ninja:

I know arguing with you is pointless, but I'll ask anyway - how would you pitch BG3?

I'm not asking for a lot of detail, just a couple of ideas of how it would look / fit in with the brand and take it forward.

Bear in mind FR canon - personally I'd have a Bhaal-spawn war decimate the FR and the player begins in an almost post-apocalyptic part of the Realms figuring out what went before, i.e. hundreds of years after the last game. But that is unlikely to happen because of the WotC attitude to their IP.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

BG2 was a great game. I would welcome BG3, which I know would be a D&D game set in FR with a completely new story with new characters that would have references to the Bhaalspawn saga. This would be great, except for the fact that it would most likely be based on the terrible 4E ruleset, unless of course it has already been in development for some time before $4E's announcement. All in all, though, it is likely that BG3 would use 4E, so I would prefer more XP packs from Obsidian for my NWN2 D&D 3.5E CRPG fix.

Thread pruned a little bit. :lol:

Let's focus on the topic at hand, please. :wacko:

If a poster's actions bring confusion to you, you can always message them for clarity rather than trying to derail. :p

As for this topic: We already had a Baldur's Gate 3... it was Throne of Bhaal.

Thread pruned a little bit. :lol:

Let's focus on the topic at hand, please. :wacko:

If a poster's actions bring confusion to you, you can always message them for clarity rather than trying to derail. :p

As for this topic: We already had a Baldur's Gate 3... it was Throne of Bhaal.

No it was an expansion for BG2 as was Tales of the Sword Coast was an expansion for BG1.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.