Baldur's Gate 3 rumor

funcroc

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=197448

Baldur's Gate III rumours persist

Friday 19-Sep-2008 9:33 AM Atari has the rights but won't comment

A third instalment in the Baldur's Gate series is tipped to be in development, without original creator BioWare.

Although it won't be ready for at least another year, we've heard the RPG sequel is coming along at an as-yet-unnamed developer and Neverwinter Nights 2 house Atari - which recently released a series compilation on PC-DVD - is said to be handling the publishing duties.

The acclaimed RPG series hasn't seen a proper release since 2001's Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, and has been the subject of constant rumour and speculation since.

A third game was even said to be in development at on-off Baldur's expansion dev Black Isle Studios, which has now been closed.

Original members of Black Isle have since founded Obsidian Entertainment, which helmed a sequel to BioWare's Neverwinter Nights.

Obsidian is a possibility then but the developer behind the third Baldur's Gate is still a mystery to us, although we've heard it's a studio more than capable of making a fantastic looking production. Speculate away.

When contacted Atari said it had no comment to make except that Baldur's Gate is "one of the properties Atari has rights to".

Edited by funcroc

BG3. I'm sure it would do the series proud. Or is that too negative.

Perhaps Bethesda will buy it from Atari and Todd Howard will be the lead designer.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Baldur's Gate III rumours persist

Friday 19-Sep-2008 9:33 AM Atari has the rights but won't comment

Quite possibly because there's nothing to comment on.

A third instalment in the Baldur's Gate series is tipped to be in development, without original creator BioWare.

OK, if it were in development Bio wouldn't be involved, we all the know the story about the licence etc. In any case, I doubt Bio really want to get wrapped up in the D&D / WotC licence again. I mean, they make Star Wars games, right?

Although it won't be ready for at least another year, we've heard the RPG sequel is coming along at an as-yet-unnamed developer and Neverwinter Nights 2 house Atari - which recently released a series compilation on PC-DVD - is said to be handling the publishing duties.

I suppose our intrepid writer met his 'Deep Throat' in the underground car park of the Watergate building. Because this is so vague as to be pointless.

The acclaimed RPG series hasn't seen a proper release since 2001's Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, and has been the subject of constant rumour and speculation since.

More incisive reportage from our hero.

A third game was even said to be in development at on-off Baldur's expansion dev Black Isle Studios, which has now been closed.

Now I'm losing my patience. I know for these youngsters the height of research is a quick once-around Wikipedia, but even that would yield some intelligence on The Black Hound. Not 'said to be' in development.

Obsidian is a possibility then but the developer behind the third Baldur's Gate is still a mystery to us, although we've heard it's a studio more than capable of making a fantastic looking production. Speculate away.

No, I'm not going to speculate away because this story provides nothing to actually speculate about.

When contacted Atari said it had no comment to make except that Baldur's Gate is "one of the properties Atari has rights to".

I'm astonished Atari even bothered answering, to be honest.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Meh.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Besides, any new stand alone DnD game is going to be based on 4e rules. Lets not have that, shall we.

Well from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense, to me at least. What better way to get potential customers into 4E, then using it's most beloved franchise based on the 4E rule set???

"Baldur's Gate saga ended over 7 years ago with Throne of Bhaal. There's no reason to continue that storyline."

Simply false. Use your imagination which, btw, is what these games are supposed to be about. L0L

"Only Bioware or Obsidian are qualified to make a real BG3."

Absolutely baloney.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why do you FAIL? I don't like Bethesda personally; but others do. Plus, Bethesda is far from the only company out there. :lol:

It's plainly fanboyish to say only 2 specific companies can make a certain game. With that kind of attitude, Interplay never would have hired some doctors to make a RPG in the first place because they were 'incapable' of doing so. L0L

From the codex:

Word Mark BALDUR'S GATE

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software. FIRST USE: 19980100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19981200

Filing Date June 29, 2007

Registration Date May 27, 2008

Owner (REGISTRANT) BioWare Corp. CORPORATION CANADA 4445 Calgary Trail, Suite 200 Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7 CANADA

Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

If BioWare remains the owner of the "Baldur's Gate" trademark, if there ever is a III, it would be BioWare . ?

Why do you FAIL? I don't like Bethesda personally; but others do. Plus, Bethesda is far from the only company out there. :down:

It's plainly fanboyish to say only 2 specific companies can make a certain game. With that kind of attitude, Interplay never would have hired some doctors to make a RPG in the first place because they were 'incapable' of doing so. L0L

The Doctors worked on a game called "Battleground Infinity". Interplay later suggested to use the DnD license. And back then BG wasn't a multi million franchise. If some new developer wants to make an RPG, fine, create your own IP.... but I don't want some amateurs messing around with the mighty BG!

I refuse to believe he does it without reason

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Poor Jaesun's all caught up in it too.

It would be "neat" if their was some kind of BGIII (With the approach that The Black Hound was doing). But I doubt anything will come of this. It's just RUMARZ.

And since I am not a lawyer, I am curious how the whole trademark thing works.

"The Doctors worked on a game called "Battleground Infinity"."

Was being published by Interplay.

" And back then BG wasn't a multi million franchise."

Interplay paid a lot of money for the license, and after the debacle of DTU, they had a lot riding on their next D&D game. A lot of pressure to put on a newbie developer.

" If some new developer wants to make an RPG, fine, create your own IP"

BG is/was not BIO's own IP.....

This doesn't change the fact that there are talented companies out there outside of BIO/Obsidian fully capable of making a BG3 that is good.

"but I don't want some amateurs messing around with the mighty BG!"

DOCTORS. Doctors were hired to develop games. HA!

Edited by Volourn

Poor Jaesun's all caught up in it too.

It would be "neat" if their was some kind of BGIII (With the approach that The Black Hound was doing). But I doubt anything will come of this. It's just RUMARZ.

And since I am not a lawyer, I am curious how the whole trademark thing works.

No no, I mean in the "what are you playing now" thread Sand has you helping him "fix" some problem with NWN2, which he's never played before. :down: