BREAKING: Google to buy Valve?

Morgoth

That would be an awesome combo. Makes sense, too.

Google is about one of the only companies (with lots of power) I trust to defend and market digital distribution methods like YouTube or Steam.

We'll see where the truth takes us, but based on Google's past history of products and companies it has bought, it really doesn't surprise me. The only factor here is does Valve want to merge? I wouldn't have expected so (since it is doing fine on its own with Steam), but then, companies always like to merge and make more money.

That would be an awesome combo. Makes sense, too.

Google is about one of the only companies (with lots of power) I trust to defend and market digital distribution methods like YouTube or Steam.

We'll see where the truth takes us, but based on Google's past history of products and companies it has bought, it really doesn't surprise me. The only factor here is does Valve want to merge? I wouldn't have expected so (since it is doing fine on its own with Steam), but then, companies always like to merge and make more money.

I think visionary companies like Google or Valve don't make business decisions solely on making more money. That's more Microsofts motive. But I mean, if Steam can be extended, further developed into something bigger, reaching more people blah blah whatever, it's certainly a win for everyone involved. Valve always pursues to reach a bigger audience, I think with the help of Google they can manage that.

Oh yeah, I definitely get that. Google pretty much bought YouTube just to prevent the music industry from suing it out of existence; it doesn't make them a profit (the bandwidth it uses is pretty phenomenal apparently).

Of course, it does significantly increase their brand power and user base, so it's not like it was an unsound move to acquire it.

Some guy on Slashdot commented that Google games would have to run in a browser, and this was one response:

Only until GoogleOS is completed. GoogleOS will run on the new GooglePC hardware platform, which you can purchase at your friendly neighborhood GoogleMart with GoogleBucks, which will replace most major national currencies by 2025.

Of course, if you can't afford a new GooglePC right away, you can always get more GoogleBucks by installing AdSense to display context-sensitive ads on the forehead of your GoogleBody, which you can replace your regular body with free of charge (Google reserves the right to deep-scan your brain in order to more accurately target the advertisements displayed in your GoogleHouse in exchange for this valuable body replacement service).

If you have any issues with any of your Google products, you can receive help on the GoogleNet. If that doesn't help, you can arrange a return by sending the item postage paid through GooglePost back to the GooglePlex for repair or replacement.

By 2030, most major national governments will be replaced by the new GoogleGov (beta). Eventually, Google will work to replace various common words in most languages with "google" in order to continue the strengthening of the brand. This might initially google some minor googles, but in google most googles will google to the changes. After some google, life will google google google google google.

Google,

Google

:(

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

I think visionary companies like Google or Valve don't make business decisions solely on making more money.

Lulz.

Oh yeah, I definitely get that. Google pretty much bought YouTube just to prevent the music industry from suing it out of existence; it doesn't make them a profit (the bandwidth it uses is pretty phenomenal apparently).

Youtube's lack of profit is no proof of magnanimity on the part of Google. The internet economy isn't based off of profit. If it was, it wouldn't exist today. It exists based on the idea that at some point in the future it will make a profit, and a considerable profit at that. That's why Amazon is considered the greatest success on the internet today despite having been in the red every year since it started (though I seem to recall them making a very modest profit this year or last year). If it were a normal company it would've collapsed long ago. But the shareholders have colossal faith in its promise.

Edited by Pop

Youtube's lack of profit is no proof of magnanimity on the part of Google. The internet economy isn't based off of profit. If it was, it wouldn't exist today. It exists based on the idea that at some point in the future it will make a profit, and a considerable profit at that. That's why Amazon is considered the greatest success on the internet today despite having been in the red every year since it started (though I seem to recall them making a very modest profit this year or last year). If it were a normal company it would've collapsed long ago. But the shareholders have colossal faith in its promise.

Yep, like I said (you removed it from the quote for some reason):

Of course, it does significantly increase their brand power and user base, so it's not like it was an unsound move to acquire it.

The internet economy isn't based off of profit. If it was, it wouldn't exist today.

lol. Dot.com bubble? :fdevil:

Edited by Krezack