New Dragon Age Walkthrough videos

Morgoth

generic fantasy pulp hooray!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"bla bla.... grey knights of whatver... kingdom of flrkleblergha.... evil blight spawn dark demon....." Definently typical generic fantasy rubbish

Although, DA will probably be a good game despite its setting. Bioware have high standards.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, that would be sweet. They'd be all like "leave the spear, take the canoli"

Only saw the first one so far, but come now, Morgoth, it does look damn generic.

I was never looking for anything strikingly original (heck, BG2 was pretty generic and it was awesome), so I don't mind too much, but yeah.

Only saw the first one so far, but come now, Morgoth, it does look damn generic.

I was never looking for anything strikingly original (heck, BG2 was pretty generic and it was awesome), so I don't mind too much, but yeah.

I don't care about how "original" or "generic" a game looks. It's the talent and the skills of a developer that decides how enjoyable a game turns out. Bioware has yet to disappoint me in that regard. And Dragon Age has a concisely unique style to me, no matter how other people might perceive that. I like DA how it looks/feels.

Oh and Kaftan, wasn't it you who enjoyed Mass Effect so much? Don't you think ME just looks like generic SciFi as well?

Modern Sci-Fi doesnt have the same sort of narrow genre rules as fantasy, and so its usually a lot more varied. Mass Effect doesnt have much in common with Star Trek or Buck Rogers for instance,

I don't care about how "original" or "generic" a game looks. It's the talent and the skills of a developer that decides how enjoyable a game turns out. Bioware has yet to disappoint me in that regard. And Dragon Age has a concisely unique style to me, no matter how other people might perceive that. I like DA how it looks/feels.

Fair enough. I found Jade Empire and Mass Effect disappointing in its execution, though - and when you have a game that is neither well executed/polished nor original, well, that's hell.

The one thing I was really glad to see is how other people in the world are actually aware their King is a knob. From their earlier coverage it looked as if he was just a 'good guy' with really bad VA; now we see that he's meant to be a young, brash fool.

Everybody looks a bit stiff with their default military stance and the dialogue flow isn't quite as smooth as it could be, but that's not something I mind so much. Right not it looks pretty good to look at, pretty good to play, but I think it's really going to depend on gameplay mechanisms.

edit: Oh, if anyone thought Todd Howard's voice was annoying? Who was that narrator?

But it has alot in common with Star Wars, which in return, is just fantasy with lightsabers!

Not unless you're Volo. Starwars doesnt have any dragons, elves or magic items that have to be transported large distances only or assembled in order to defeat a villain

But it has alot in common with Star Wars, which in return, is just fantasy with lightsabers!

Not unless you're Volo. Starwars doesnt have any dragons, elves or magic items that have to be transported large distances only or assembled in order to defeat a villain

Jeez, now you're arguing about unimportant details.

Star Wars HAS dragons: remember the Kray Dragon (or whatever it was called) in Kotor?

Star Wars has a variety of races that is as rich as D&D. The Twilek race could be considered for example the equivalent of the elf race...

Instead of having magic items, Star Wars has items improved by either crystals or by technology... No big difference here as well...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I think this looks pretty good. What we've seen so far of the setting doesn't exactly make me jump up and down with joy, but a lot of the of it is left for us to see. I'm mostly interested in the human side of things on a kind of ground level, which is one of the reasons I liked the Witcher. Life is a struggle, and it has turned many into complete bastards.

What scares me about DA though is that I really fear the whole cinematic approach. While interactive, Mass Effect still had me feeling like it was constantly "locking me down" with cutscenes all the time, and I worry this will happen with DA also. It's good that they seem to be interactive of course, but I've found out I'm really sensitive to the visual side of things when it comes to cutscenes. I don't want to feel like I'm watching a movie, not even an interactive one. Still, it's to be expected I suppose.

Still, looks decent enough. The one feature I like the most is probably the backgrounds, which I hope will add some significant replay value.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've watched the vidoes and what amazes truly is the art direction in this game. The surroundings, the textures, the buildings, the sky, the earth, all look so beautiful. Ostagar at night looks very beautifull, too.

The game itself seems to be shapen to be good, if not great...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

It seems like the site is getting hammered, it takes forever to load the page.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

None of the links worked for me so I headed over to gametrailers. Game looks like garbage in my very respectable opinion. I will admit that I have warmed up marginally since the first glimpse I got when it was first previewed but visually I absolutely hate the art direction. The story, premise, universe, combat and characters all look thoroughly lame as well. The only saving grace is that its made by bioware but even then they are just a upper subpar developer (or atleast used to be in their prime) and it looks like they've struck out on this one.

They should just stop right now and use these guys for Mass Effect 2. Those bunches of side planets need more than just crashed satellites and asteroids this time around.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Why does Bioware insist on writing such reasonable dialogue. Where's the personnality?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I personally don't care if the setting is generic. As long as the underlying story is reasonably good and the gameplay is fun I'm pretty much sold. The guy talking says right at the beginning that the team considers the game as the spiritual successor to BG, so thats good. Like Tigranes said, the setting to BG isn't unique either, but that didn't make the game any less fun.

I'm hoping that the Origin stories are varied enough for players to try a totally different kind of character. Maybe kind of like the options you get when you create a character in ME, but you can actually play those options.