College Football

qt3.14159

Since there was an NFL thread, I thought I should start a college football thread. I don't follow the NFL at all, just because they can't seem to make me care, but I've always adored college football. My alma mater (and my employer) just moved to #2 in the polls. It's looking to be a great year!

BOOMER SOONER!

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Guest The Architect

**** the NFL, **** American college football and **** you!

>_<

Aussie rules football is where it's at. If only the game began somewhere in Europe, mark my words it'd be bigger than soccer/football, the world game itself.

Word is they televise the AFL grand final in America every year on the "Setanta" channel I think it is. If you have an opportunity to watch the inevitable Geelong-Hawthorn grand final in just under a fortnights time, about midnight to 3'ish on a Saturday morning American time, or earlier, depending on timezone, I recommend that you do, it's going to be ****in great.

GA barely squeaks by an unranked team and they get to keep in the top 3... pitiful. FL didn't even play. grrrr.

taks

Yeah, that's pretty goofy, but it's still early yet. The polls have a way of working themselves out for the most part, I think. Who are you rooting for?

Oh really? Do you see this in Gaelic football or grid iron? :)

I've tried to watch Austrailian rules football before... it makes no sense. Perhaps one day, you'll come to the states and you can sit with me an explain the damn game, but until then, I'm gonna have to pass... :lol:

Coaching in the third game of his 10th season at Oklahoma, Bob Stoops picked up his 100th career win in a 55-14 rout of Washington. It was a milestone victory not only for Stoops, but for OU as well. Oklahoma is now the first FBS program in the country with four 100-game winners. Stoops joins Bennie Owen (1905-26), Bud Wilkinson (1947-63) and Barry Switzer (1973-88).

Bennie, Bud, Barry & Bob...

Apparently we have a thing for B's... I wonder if it'll be a requirement for future head coach candidates... hopefully, though, we won't be looking for a head coach for looong time yet.

I do understand the thing with College football. I watched the Vikings play someone or other about ten years ago. It was one of the most boring experiences of my life. Give me something with a bit less polish and a bit more soul.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, that's pretty goofy, but it's still early yet. The polls have a way of working themselves out for the most part, I think. Who are you rooting for?

no, i don't think they do. the system is horribly broken, but in a 128-team field, and only 12 or so games each season, i don't think there's a good answer. one thing they do need to do is remove the rose bowl from the BCS system. it is contractually obligated to include big-10/PAC-10 teams, which is why a 3-loss team got in last year (illinois, and USC trounced them). the other bowls are all required to take a top-10 team.

i'm a mizzou fan, btw. i attended the university of missouri-rolla (now known as the missouri school of science and technology) for my undergrad work, which is 90 miles south of mizzou.

the top 3 teams right now are USC, OK and mizzou (in that order). neither FL or GA should be in there.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I don't follow the NFL at all, just because they can't seem to make me care, but I've always adored college football.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm from the Northeast (defined as being north of Blacksburg and east of State College), where we see college football for what it really is: the minor leagues. Just like minor league baseball, it's probably more fun (and cheaper) to go to a game in-person than it is in the NFL/MLB, but the ultimate interest is in which players will eventually be called up/drafted into the real thing. Also the whole "what the hell are major educational institutions doing giving scholarships to dunderheads who happen to play a game well and pouring millions of dollars into running a sports league that only turns a profit for a few dozen programs" question has always bugged me.

Plus, my wife would not be particularly happy with me if I spent Sunday and Saturday watching football.

Okay here you go, pi girl.

The laws of Aussie rules football

Just read up to the length of the game, that's all you need to know.

Yeah... that's not gonna happen... lol.

I do understand the thing with College football. I watched the Vikings play someone or other about ten years ago. It was one of the most boring experiences of my life. Give me something with a bit less polish and a bit more soul.

We have a lot of polish in our program, but at the same time, there is so much soul. The games are so much fun, the band, the alumni, the students... we're all there because we love the school and it just happens to have an awesome program.

no, i don't think they do. the system is horribly broken, but in a 128-team field, and only 12 or so games each season, i don't think there's a good answer. one thing they do need to do is remove the rose bowl from the BCS system. it is contractually obligated to include big-10/PAC-10 teams, which is why a 3-loss team got in last year (illinois, and USC trounced them). the other bowls are all required to take a top-10 team.

i'm a mizzou fan, btw. i attended the university of missouri-rolla (now known as the missouri school of science and technology) for my undergrad work, which is 90 miles south of mizzou.

the top 3 teams right now are USC, OK and mizzou (in that order). neither FL or GA should be in there.

taks

I'll go with your rankings... And yeah, the polls are messed up in that the big names always get the benefit of the doubt, even when they shouldn't. But, at the same time, there's not many years where more than a couple of teams finish undefeated. As long as those undefeated teams are in the running for the national championship, I'm ok with the end result.

And yeah, I'm not sure how the Rose Bowl works, exactly... I know that when we played there (2003) there was a huge uproar about how wrong it was that it wasn't a pac 10 school or something... And honestly, we really prefer the Orange Bowl but since the advent of the BCS we've only been there twice (both times playing for the national championship), so we think the whiny butts can just get over it... :lol:

I can root for Mizzou! Go Big 12!! Except Texas... Texas sucks.

I don't follow the NFL at all, just because they can't seem to make me care, but I've always adored college football.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm from the Northeast (defined as being north of Blacksburg and east of State College), where we see college football for what it really is: the minor leagues. Just like minor league baseball, it's probably more fun (and cheaper) to go to a game in-person than it is in the NFL/MLB, but the ultimate interest is in which players will eventually be called up/drafted into the real thing. Also the whole "what the hell are major educational institutions doing giving scholarships to dunderheads who happen to play a game well and pouring millions of dollars into running a sports league that only turns a profit for a few dozen programs" question has always bugged me.

Plus, my wife would not be particularly happy with me if I spent Sunday and Saturday watching football.

I think you probably see it as the minor leagues because the local programs aren't really worth supporting... But, I can see your point, sort of. It's not in any way cheaper to go to one of our games, believe me. Our stadium seats over 82,000 people and is full every week... (in the good years anyhow, and most of them are good years...).

What makes college football so much more interesting to me is its constantly shifting nature. Every year the team is radically different than the year before. So the game becomes more about the programs and how well they recruit and then train their new players. It's much more a test of coaching abilities and the soul of the players.

I think I don't care as much about professional football because it is just that... a business. I have a hard time being that excited about someone else's business, even if it is regional. But my ties to my school are incredibly strong. My family has attended this university for generations. My parents grew up watching OU football, as did I. It's my school, it's my employer, it's my town, it's my team.

And next year, it will be a different group of kids, but it'll be just as much mine.

BOOMER SOONER! :D

college football is certainly hypocritical. academic standards are meaningless for athletes. they should simply do away with all the moronic requirements and offer non-degreed positions on teams for those that want them. it is hardly fair that someone should be screwed over if his/her only talent in life is not of an academic nature. you end up with all these kids cheated into college sports programs under the pretense of being smart enough to get the degree, when everyone in the freaking world knows better. sigh.

taks

Edited by taks

I think I don't care as much about professional football because it is just that... a business. I have a hard time being that excited about someone else's business, even if it is regional. But my ties to my school are incredibly strong. My family has attended this university for generations. My parents grew up watching OU football, as did I. It's my school, it's my employer, it's my town, it's my team.

I can certainly appreciate cheering for a team based on longstanding familial and geographic loyalty. But if you don't think college ball is a business, you're fooling yourself. I respect that the NFL is honest about its businesslike nature. Big-time NCAA sports, though, strike me as an enormous hypocrisy-- a clever way to run a sports league without having to pay players' salaries by pretending that the sports are somehow a part of the schools' core educational mission. (For OU and about 30 or so other major programs, it's certainly a good business to be in, as it returns significantly more funds to the school than it costs them. For most colleges fielding football teams, though, those athletic scholarships and stadiums end up jacking up the tuition for all the other students.)

Edited by Enoch

But if you don't think college ball is a business, you're fooling yourself. I respect that the NFL is honest about its businesslike nature. Big-time NCAA sports, though, strike me as an enormous hypocrisy-- a clever way to run a sports league without having to pay players' salaries by pretending that the sports are somehow a part of the schools' core educational mission. (For OU and about 30 or so other major programs, it's certainly a good business to be in, as it returns significantly more funds to the school than it costs them. For most colleges fielding football teams, though, those athletic scholarships and stadiums end up jacking up the tuition for all the other students.)

But at least it's a business that benefits the school... for the most part. The athletic department gets to keep most of their money here, but the revenue they generate in college trademark licensing alone is enormous. Not to mention, to get the very best seats for the games, you have to make a sizeable donation to the school. Then there's just the aspect of giving the alumi a way to stay connected to the school and hopefully willing to donate money in the long run.

I can't say anything first hand about other programs, but I have a feeling most of the money for any sports program comes from private donations and very little from tuition or state funding. And really, do scholarships to athletes really cost the school anything? I mean, for the most part, they don't even go to class! :lol:

Isn't it a bit fething short-sighted to do to college football the exact same thing which has ruined the NFL? People get hooked on the fat cash like the crack pipe.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

All hail the Big Twelve!

Three teams in the top 5!!

We play Texas a week from Saturday, so that'll change one way or another... ugh... I'm NOT looking forward to that game... *nail biting*

but at least we don't have to play Missouri... at least not until the Big 12 championship! Which is in Kansas City this year..... THAT'll be fun...

you're assuming missouri has learned something... no, i think their schedule is just a bit softer. OU will likely crush them again in the Big 12 championship. it is early, still, so really hard to say. missouri's fumble problem 2 weeks ago didn't escape my notice, btw.

anyway, i was right about GA and FL, wrong about USC. who knew, eh?

let conference play being i say! missouri has a skeleton in the closet they need to shed in norman. given the routing they put on 'em last year, however, i don't see it being much of a problem. my buddy is a texas fan, and he's down in galveston helping his family clean up right now. i'm guessing he's watching the game against the buffaloes from there if they have electricity (his dad lives on the other side of the seawall).

taks

All hail the Big Twelve!

Three teams in the top 5!!

We play Texas a week from Saturday, so that'll change one way or another... ugh... I'm NOT looking forward to that game... *nail biting*

but at least we don't have to play Missouri... at least not until the Big 12 championship! Which is in Kansas City this year..... THAT'll be fun...

I'll go ahead and ruin it for you, Okie is gonna get smoked.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

texas is the darkhorse this year. they could easily surprise anyone, and being ranked 5th is some definite street cred towards that notion. my one buddy is a texas fan, and the other is an oklahoma alumni. both of them went to the shootout denver-san diego NFL game with me. i think we'll have to get together for the red river shootout as well. :)

not surprisingly, btw, mcdaniel, bradford and mccoy are three of the best (if not the best three in that order) QBs in college ball this year.

taks

Yeah, the thing with the OU / Texas game is that *anything* can happen. It's waaay more about preparation and morale than anything, especially when the teams are as evenly ranked as they are this year.

It will be a great game to watch... unless we're losing... then it'll suck. Work on Monday will suck even more.... blech.

Oh, and the good news for us is that Bradford is only a Sophomore! Woot!