What you did today

Gorth

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you taks?

I mean explain to you why there's no reason any modern day programmer or engineer would know or need to know the value of 18 bit words, and you respond by bragging about how awesome your 64-bit computer is.

You've gone from me explaining to you why you'd need to use logs to solve 2^x < 300000, to you bragging about how you could find 2^18 in your head if you needed to. You completely skipped the fact that you need to know 18 is the solution to begin with.

Now, you can continue bragging about your 'supreme mathematical ability' with your calculator handy, but I'm gonna go take my dog for a walk. He's getting antsy.

Guest The Architect
How so, what intrigues you about my hands? Is it that they don't look like five bratwurst stapled to a ribeye like your hands do?

Well what's intriguing about the fact your hands aren't like five bratwurst stapled to a ribeye is that I didn't think you'd still be allowed to live in Texas if you didn't have hands like that.

also Architect is a mongoloid fattie. :)

Mongoloid Buddha would've a been funnier thing to say.

And by funnier I don't mean it would've been a more appropriate description of me!

Believe me, otherwise I'll eat you someday. Or at least, I'll think about eating you, not that I already haven't not that it makes much difference.

Edited by The Architect

I mean explain to you why there's no reason any modern day programmer or engineer would know or need to know the value of 18 bit words, and you respond by bragging about how awesome your 64-bit computer is.

no, please re-read what i said. in your tiny world you may not need to know above 2^12, but that doesn't cover the real world that i work in. broad statements like yours are not only impossible to prove, but very easy to disprove.

i know what 2^18 is off the top of my head. sorry you don't, but that's enough to disprove your entire statement (all of them). i regularly use powers of 2 out to 32 bits, which is why i explained all that. i don't know exact breakdowns (though it's not hard to figure out that, either), i.e., all the bits, but i wasn't talking about all the bits, just 1, 18 places to the left (it's actually in the 19th digit if you didn't know that already).

You've gone from me explaining to you why you'd need to use logs to solve 2^x < 300000, to you bragging about how you could find 2^18 in your head if you needed to. You completely skipped the fact that you need to know 18 is the solution to begin with.

a) i said i know what it is off the top of my head, you said you don't. sorry.

b) i said it is easy to figure out, in your head, the bounds around 300000, 2^18 and 2^19. it is also easy to figure out in your head what 2^18 is. you can do neither. sorry again.

Now, you can continue bragging about your 'supreme mathematical ability' with your calculator handy, but I'm gonna go take my dog for a walk. He's getting antsy.

good, because apparently your other profession is a bust.

you have a very hard time addressing what i actually post. is it because you can't figure out a valid way to "trick" me into saying something you can mount a straw attack against? or just that you are incapable of making legitimate claims about anything?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, krezack, here's how you get x when you don't use logs:

alanschu (or i) knows his powers of 2. i go out to 2^20 for casual use, but 2^32 occasionally.

2^18 = 262,144

2^19 = 524,288

hmmm, gee, 300,000 is less than 524,288, but greater than 262,144. wow, then 18 coin flips has better odds than 1/300,000.

no logs. i showed this once already. but you're too much of a ... to figure it out.

taks

*Logs on*

*Through bleary eyes sees maths*

*goes to fix coffee, assuming hallucination*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

True, it's a trivial binomial case. But he still would've had to of used logs or a bunch of guesswork. It's a commendable application of mathematics (assuming logs) to an otherwise fairly mundane topic. :)

Nah, 2^20 is roughly 1 million (and where Megabyte comes from). So I just took two off the top to give me roughly 250k. Though you're right, I technically am at 125K, but if you notice the term I used, my statement is actually still correct ;)

*still hallucinating*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you taks?

That doesn't mean I didn't know it. Kilobyte is 2^10, Megabyte is 2^20, and so forth. Taks is right. Figuring out 2^18 was just below 300k wasn't difficult, since I knew 2^20 was roughly 1 million. I did exactly what he guessed I did, which is start from 2^20, and then divide by 2^2, to get 2^18.

Edited by alanschu

taks is getting less likeable by the minute :x

Anyway, I spent half the day so far baroque literature, and the other half programming. Going to program a bit more this evening, pthreads and open mp is on the list.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Believe me, otherwise I'll eat you someday. Or at least, I'll think about eating you, not that I already haven't not that it makes much difference.

You've been after my manwich for too long, instead why not start every day with a hearty breakfast from McDonald's, like the new sausage egg McGriddle value meal, available now, for a limited time, for under five dollars. I'm lovin' it. :x

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Got a pretty good deal on a PSP and I am now at school eating lunch. an d lunch just ended. On to photography.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Don't worry, Shryke will be back again :p

No doubt with plenty of stories of booze and girls :x

hey man i'm not always drinking

i have a friend asking me to contribute one piece of artwork a week to a website he's making

now i can't draw very well at all, but he said poetry etc is fine, so i suppose i might just write something

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The final part for my PC arrived in the mail in the office this morning. It is going to be a long day >_

Then I can start assembling it and see if it all still fits together and get some of all my desk space back (looks like construction area at the moment).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

hey man i'm not always drinking

That's only because it's hard to drink and bang woman(s) at the same time, and thus you forgo the beer. >_<

What? Never heard of multitasking?

Besides there is a position where it is not only possible but convenient.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got a call this morning from a prospective employer and I think I blew it. Trying to go over your application in a semi-awake state immediately after crawling out of bed does tend to make the whole thing a little harder. Hopefully the fact that they are hiring about a billion people for the holiday season lets me squeeze through.

The final part for my PC arrived in the mail in the office this morning. It is going to be a long day ;)

Then I can start assembling it and see if it all still fits together and get some of all my desk space back (looks like construction area at the moment).

i'm not sure which i enjoy more, getting my new toys in the mail, or putting them together. putting them together often ends up in some choice curse words for microsoft so i guess i'll go with getting my toys in the mail.

i also wonder if maybe i upgrade my computer solely for the pleasure of getting new toys in the mail, putting them together and cursing microsoft.

taks

one of them UPS delivery jobs deraldin? i have a friend that does that every year. he takes a month of vacation and works on the UPS trucks to pay for christmas.

i'm going camping at longs peak in rocky mountain national park today. it's supposed to be in the 40s in estes park, the nearby town, and we're going to be much higher on the mountain. camping in the snow! i'm figuring it will be sometime saturday afternoon when everyone mutinies and we end up in some deli in town, looking for a hotel room. ;)

taks

one of them UPS delivery jobs deraldin? i have a friend that does that every year. he takes a month of vacation and works on the UPS trucks to pay for christmas.

It's actually a retail position, but thanks for reminding me about UPS. I'd forgotten to send anything to them.