What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

Clear Sky.

How is it?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Bioshock and F.E.A.R.

One is absolutly loveable and the other scares the **** out of me for no reason.

I lov'em both.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Maybe it is time for me to visit the local game pusher (EB Games) again and see if it is on the shelf. I need my gamma fix :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Civ 4. I swear, either the AI is really smart or really erratic. So I'm ze Germans, playing the Earth scenario (somewhat tightened map of the Earth). I started off in Europe, with the Greeks and Romans to the immediate South. I built my first defender and second settler and took Spain, then built a second settler and took the Balkans, filling out the gaps over time and moving North, occupying the majority of the European subcontinent and all of the UK. This effectively trapped the Romans such that they had their three cities and expansion would have required Open Borders, which I denied them. Greece had only a slim area of expansion in Eastern Europe, between my eastern frontier and the western frontiers of the Persian and Indian empires. Africa was cut off by the Egyptians. But the Greeks were doing better than the Romans were, having an unbroken corridor of territory starting in Anatolia, west through Greece and then east again along the coast of the Black Sea and up along a row of cities from the Northern Black Sea up through western Russia.

At some point, my borders started pushing eastward, and Greece suddenly declared war. Now, I usually play Civ as a cultural / technological expansionist, trying to get the best tech and most developed cities quickest. As a result I usually come up short on units, aside from an average of 2 fortified units per city. So the declaration of war sort of blindsided me. I lost my easternmost settlement. But I bounced back rather quickly, as my strongest cities to the West started churning out units quickly. I did what is my tendency in these games as well as in RTSes, which is create a huge, lumbering strike force and go on the hunt. I seized the Black Sea settlements, creating a gap between Anatolia / Greece and their Northern frontiers, and liberated my city, and I forced a peace treaty with a few cities added. Trouble is, for some reason Rome declared war. So I crushed their two cities and became the sole power in Europe.

Here's the rub - Greece was in a weakened state but still acting like **** to everybody else. Eventually 2 or 3 other powers declared war on Greece. It looked like Alexander was living on borrowed time. So I, being a fan of expansion, decided to act quickly and claim some Greek cities before anyone else did. So I declared war, mobilized my 25-30 strong force of cannons, riflemen and cavalry (always cavalry) and moved Eastward towards the interim Greek capital.

That's where **** went down. As I moved the force close to my border, two things happened. One, Alexander got smart and swore fealty to the Persian empire, the third most powerful civ behind myself and the Chinese, and the Persians declared war on me in turn. No sweat, I thought, and proceeded to move ever closer to the Greek capital. Just then every single goddamn power in the game declared war on me, except the Egyptians, who were vassals of mine. Now, I'm in a really tough spot. No one's talking to me. I moved up from fighting the greeks, who were still using chariots and phalanx while I was using gunpowder units, to modern foes. And now I've got 4 powerful civilizations sending forces against my Eastern borders. I don't know how well I'll hold out. I just researched machine gunners, who are about as good of defensive units as you could ask for, and I'm churning them out to send out to the frontier, but I don't know if I'll be quick enough.

So yeah, either the mere presence of my siege forces caused the entire world to consider me an immediate threat that had to be destroyed, or the AIs just randomly and arbitrarily decided that I had to die.

tl;dr Does anybody know if the AIs react to troop movements in Civ 4?

XCOM is fab.

I'm replaying WIz 8 at the moment. I've moved it up to one of my top 5 games of all time. It really is great.

You sure do like it old school and with teeth... Especially so if it knaw's and bites.

Wiz 8 isn't bad, I actually like it, but phwar it's slow.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

@Pop

I can't say whether the AI in civ4 reacts specifically to troop movement. I do know that something similar has happened to me and I seem to remember that the AI keeps some kind of tally on the player which will lead to mass attacks if the player becomes too strong.

@Gorth

According to reviews there are some absolutely annoying decisions throughout the game that makes it worse than S:SoC and it supposedly doesn't have quite the same charm. It is still supposed to be a solid game though.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Clear Sky.

How is it?

Great. At first I thought it was not gong to be up to par, but once I got into the game my opinion quickly changed. :)

Is it worth reinstalling to play clear sky if you have only recently finished STALKER. Are there new areas, or just a few new missions

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Clear Sky.

How is it?

Great. At first I thought it was not gong to be up to par, but once I got into the game my opinion quickly changed. :(

Is it worth reinstalling to play clear sky if you have only recently finished STALKER. Are there new areas, or just a few new missions

There are several new areas and enemies, and the old places look different enough that they're interesting while still staying true to the original.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

fallout 2 (again)

melee/big guns character

currently running around with a super cattle prod with Sulik, K-9, and Dogmeat (came across the Cafe of Broken Dreams really early on in the game. yay high luck!)

for big fights i run in first and let off a burst with my bozar, then switch to the prod and we all wade in to clean up the mess >_<

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The Force Unleashed, City of heroes and villians, WoW, Republic Commando and Battlefront 2.

it's... interesting to be playing all five at the same time

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Bioshock.

Is.

Amazing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I really hate the spirit eater meter. It wouldn't be so bad if my party members actually stayed there ground when ordered. Each time I try to do the whole spirit eating thing they don't stand their ground and kill the spirit. It is getting really annoying.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I really hate the spirit eater meter. It wouldn't be so bad if my party members actually stayed there ground when ordered. Each time I try to do the whole spirit eating thing they don't stand their ground and kill the spirit. It is getting really annoying.

This mod actually makes NWN2 awesome to play

This mod actually makes NWN2 awesome to play

Already in it. Maybe that is the problem.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."