Why no climbing? My pet peeve.

OK, from previews so far it seems that climbing isn't in. That's pretty irritating for me, since I really miss it even in normal shooters, let alone in the games with stealth aspect. Honestly, stealth without climbing is always very half-baked. If you are caught by an approaching enemy, there is no option for last-minute escape, it is shoot-out or reload. Also, creative ways to get somewhere are very limited without it. And no, ultra-high jumps are no substitute, since they tend to be loud, tediously finicky to use and of course increase your character's visibility, or should. So, why, oh why? With all the supposed technological advancement climbing and swimming should have been standard for FPSs and third-person-over-the shoulder action games, including action RPGs.

Climbing is back in Risen (as opposed to Gothic 3)! Although diving is out, even though the game plays out on an island :lol:

But yeah, I would love to see climbing too! It gives the game world a much more believable 3D feel, that buildings and everything around you is just not there to stop you, you have to think in three dimensions to move around efficiently. Just like in Gothic & Gothic 2. Climbing was one of my absolute favourite features in those games. You could even climb tree branches!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

He fired his dual Uzi's non-stop at the ground until they lifted him onto the crate? Then switched to the silenced .45.

Alpha Protocol is very new and innovative by using a completely new technique known as uzi-jump.

If Obsidian was making a Devil May Cry RPG, I'd be doing backflips of joy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just like in Gothic & Gothic 2. Climbing was one of my absolute favourite features in those games. You could even climb tree branches!

Really? That's awesome. It never occurred to me to to climb trees, but I did like climbing rocks and buildings in the Gothics. There was also that great diving quest in G1. Never tried G3 though - my aging computer probably would explode and then there is a ton of bugs in it.

What I don't understand is why after such a long time of climbing being present in so-called "action-adventures" it didn't become an integral part of all one-character action games. Lack of climbing already drove me to distraction in Half-Life 1 and Deus Ex and despite supposed technological progress since then, nothing changed . Tactics could be so much more interesting and it would be so much more immersive. That dreaded word, I know, but every time my supposedly heroic character is stymied by obstacles that an average person should be able to overcome with ease, I am torn out of the game, thoroughly irritated and reluctant to continue.

And again, imagine a stealth-action TV series without climbing. Alias, say. Would take all interest out of stealth, wouldn't it?

Well it seems there's some sort of climbing. It certainly makes the game more interesting.

Wait, do we get a grapplehook thingymagig? That would be kickass.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Could be that he fell from a higher ledge. Hence downward mobility, but not upward mobility. Helps linearize the levels.
And that could be nerf gun that he's holding, disguised as a real gun. Edited by Cycloneman
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Thorton doesn't use guns. That's a cigarette lighter. With a silencer.

Heja Sverige!!

I might be if I knew why Mr Double Entendre has a gun shaped lighter.

Heja Sverige!!

The video explains more succinctly than I ever could.

That was ****ing hilarious

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)