EA Sticking With SecuROM

EA Sticking With SecuROM (Though Red Alert 3's Will Go A Little Easier On You)

Because it includes Draconian DRM program SecuROM, Spore's taking a bit of a pounding at the moment. Same thing happened to Mass Effect, same thing happened to BioShock. The message is fairly clear: people know what SecuROM does, and they do not want. EA's response to this? To let you eat cake. They're sticking with the software, whether you like it or not, and upcoming RTS title Red Alert 3 will be coming bundled with it. This time, though, they're going a little easier on you, allowing you five installs (and a few other minor tweaks).

Like the other games, though, spare a thought for the dev team. It's not their decision to implement SecuROM, it's EAs, and the following plea from the team makes clear just how polarising a topic this has become:

Red Alert 3 is shaping up to be a world-class RTS game that will give you many hours of enjoyment. I think it would be a shame if people decided to not play a great game simply because it came with DRM, but I understand that this is a very personal decision for many of you and I respect that. As you might imagine, I

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You know, I have a very BAD feeling concerning BIO's future. I love that company's game and I have been a loyal consumer up to recently. I was about to buy Mass Effect for the PC until I heard about this DRM thing. Thus, I am not buying the game (even if I would love to) till they remove it in some later edition. Now, I am very afraid they will do the same with Dragon Age. I have been waiting patiently for that game for 4+ years. I like everything I have read and seen about it and I have the suspicion I will never be able to play this game.

It's just a matter of principle for me. I refuse to buy a game that limits the number of installation I have. I like to tweak with Ini files and other files and it has been many times where I have re-installed the game twice or thrice in the same day. I have always bought original copies of BIO's games and I hate being treated as a pirate. I wish to have "full" control over what I can do with my copy of the game.

I have heard that NWN 2 uses Securom: does this work the same way as Mass effect or is it different? I have heard different people encountering problems with it.

Concerning Mass Effect, is it possible to bypass the Securom limitations with some kind of crack? I really want to buy this game but this will only happen if there is a way to get rid of this DRM thing...

Bye Bye Bioware... I really liked you as a producer and always tried to support you by buying your games...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I have heard that NWN 2 uses Securom: does this work the same way as Mass effect or is it different?

It's signifigently different, mainly because it does not require on-line activation and has no installation limits.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I bought Mass Effect PC, and well DRM has caused more problems than it is worth. Gae it a shot, but I won't do it again. Until EA changes policy on DRM I won't be buying any future EA games that uses it. If they release games that don't use it I snag them up, but otherwise its a deal breaker.

What? Use a USB slot just to play a game? That is just silly.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I bought Mass Effect PC, and well DRM has caused more problems than it is worth. Gae it a shot, but I won't do it again. Until EA changes policy on DRM I won't be buying any future EA games that uses it. If they release games that don't use it I snag them up, but otherwise its a deal breaker.

What? Use a USB slot just to play a game? That is just silly.

Yes, but you've already admitted to pirating games, so your opinion is moot.

Concerning Mass Effect, is it possible to bypass the Securom limitations with some kind of crack? I really want to buy this game but this will only happen if there is a way to get rid of this DRM thing...

It should be. The problem is that finding a crack could be difficult without downloading the entire game. Since the game doesn't need the cd to play after it's installed, sites that usually post cracks for backup purposes aren't doing that.

Edited by Spider

Yes, but you've already admitted to pirating games, so your opinion is moot.

I admit I try before I buy. If I absolutely have no intention of buying then I have no intention in trying.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Professional workstation software often uses a USB dongle, USB sticks are dirt cheap, why don't they try something like that. It's supposed to be 'impossible to crack'. Well, hard at any rate.

Theyre not harder to crack than software that requires the right disc to be in the dvd drive, but its only a very small portion of release groups that crack high-end software so the crack produced can be quite difficult to use at times. I know of this guy who was one of the first to crack Maya back in 99 or 00, and although it worked, the crack was unstable and as unser-unfriendly as can be.

But big software companies like Adobe and Autodesk have accepted piracy long ago and are actually using it to their advantage. People dowload these programs and learn how to use them, then they go to work at companies who actually buy the software. A large pool of knowledgeable users is also a goldmine for a software developers to have, wether theyre using legal copies or not, because companies.. a freck it.. I cant explain the whole thing but its an unspoken truth. piracy = more users who attract and help out other users

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is what you are talking about, right?

I could live with that, but it's not really any more effective a scheme than any other, against piracy. It would perhaps take more time to reverse-engineer, but once the "scene" became proficient at it, it would become a trivial matter.

It's obvious that the industry is fighting a losing war against piracy, and I think it's na

Edited by random n00b

Bye bye bioware...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

No more Bioware games for me. Or C&C games either.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I always buy the games from the companies I like. Companies like Ubisoft, Black Isle, OBSIDIAN, but game companies I don't like usually don't make games I like. I might dl a game to test it and if I like it, worth the 60 euros it costs in Greece, I will buy it, otherwise, I won't bother with it, it's like renting it for a day at the video store. I couldn't even stomach Oblivion for more than maybe 10 hours, and it was on sale for 70 euros here, equivalent to about 90-100$, why waste that much money on a game I played for 10 hours?

SecuROM is a real test of faith and, frankly, really spoils it for me. I might have gone off to buy Red Alert 3 if it didn't have it but now, definitely not.

Edited by SirPetrakus

That's exactly my point! It's not a game liked, it's not a game I enjoyed, it would just sit there on my shelf, looking at me, reminding me of my failure and that would turn me emo. Considering that my salary is near 700 euros and the game cost 70 euros I would have bought a game that cost 10% of my salary and I FORCED myself to play for 10 hours. It felt empty, repetitive and void of feeling. It just wasn't my type.

On the other hand, I bought NWN2, MotB, Fallout 1 & 2 AND Tactics, Planescape Torment, games actually worth my money, regardless of cost. I own Heroes of Might and Magic 2,3 and 5 along with all the expansions and I am truly sorry that I don't have the original Disciples 2 Gold edition because it can't be found in Greece a.k.a. it isn't licensed, therefore I can download it through the internet.

You don't have to be offended because I didn't like Oblivion, just like Halo 3 fans shouldn't be offended when I say I think MGS4 is a better game for me, it's MY taste.

That's a cool Dr. Manhattan btw.

Edited by SirPetrakus

This time, though, they're going a little easier on you, allowing you five installs (and a few other minor tweaks).

Which wouldn't have happened if people hadn't raised the issue and complained and threatened not to buy EA products. It's movement, albeit slight, and just means we need to keep applying the pressure. :ermm:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)