Football meets Chaos Theory

SteveThaiBinh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/269...-footballs.html

Modern footballs give attacking teams an unfair advantage because their design makes it hard for goalkeepers to anticipate where a shot is heading, a scientist has claimed.

Dr Ken Bray, a physicist at Bath University, has studied free-kicks from Premiership, World Cup and European Championship matches and found that top players such as the Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo are exploiting the chaotic flight and speed of modern balls to score goals.

Speaking at the British Association for the Advancement of Science Festival in Liverpool, Dr Bray called on football's governing body, Fifa, to step in with new regulations on aerodynamic qualities of footballs. He argued that Fifa already dictates the size, weight and bounce of footballs used in competitive matches, but does not specify how the ball should behave when it is kicked.

Is it such a bad thing to reward aggressive (and usually therefore entertaining) play?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

And here I thought they scored goals because they aimed in the right direction (through skill or through luck) when kicking the ball?

So, can it be remedied by allowing goal keepers to wear larger gloves (like icehockey goalies)? Maybe we should put a big rubber band on the ball and tie it to a pole in the middle of the fields?

I think some scientists gets their research money through the same channels as Uwe Boll does for film making :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

a well kicked soccer ball is like a knuckle ball (baseball term). it sort of jogs around in the air making it extremely difficult to telgraph. i haven't played with the real new balls (they have some that are painted like the new balls, but their still the old design). i'm not a goalie but i played one on tv. actually, i was still playing soccer, as a goalie, up through my undergraduate college years, but my knees could no longer take it after that. :ermm:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

For most fans goals make football. I don't see the regulators reducing the number of goals.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

For most fans goals make football. I don't see the regulators reducing the number of goals.

See you on Wednesday >_<

You're coming to my knitting circle?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Tomorrow is the Croatia - England game :*

I'm sure that England, fresh from their triumphant display over footballing superpowers Andorra, will have no trouble at all.

I for one am heartily looking forward to another splendid performance from our favourite band of over-paid over-hyped mediocre primadonna losers, and I'm sure you are too. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Tomorrow is the Croatia - England game :-

I'm sure that England, fresh from their triumphant display over footballing superpowers Andorra, will have no trouble at all.

I for one am heartily looking forward to another splendid performance from our favourite band of over-paid over-hyped mediocre primadonna losers, and I'm sure you are too. :thumbsup:

Well you know, not so sure about that sarcasm that you, the English public and here in my country share. I don't like it at all, people in Croatia are laughing at the English soccer team now before the match, that's a great recipe for underestimating your opponent and thus suffering a major setback. That was just the feeling the English public and your players shared last year at Wembley before the match you lost. I don't want that happening now in Zagreb, and I hope that our selector and coach Slaven Bilic and our players don't share the attitude the broader Croatian public have, and for that matter the English public as well. But with a smart and bold approach to the game, our team playing on a high level how they know to do so and with backing of our fans I feel we have a realistic chance for a positive result in our favor, but I won't kid myself that it's going to be an easy game, just on the contrary.

The people of Croatia should be laughing though to be fair. England to be spanked so resoundingly they won't be able to sit down for six months minimum. John Terry to slip over and cost England a goal due to being distracted by hurling abuse at a black guy in the crowd, yet still be hailed for a heroic performance full of passion when he cries at the end.

Heard it here first folks.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

The people of Croatia should be laughing though to be fair. England to be spanked so resoundingly they won't be able to sit down for six months minimum. John Terry to slip over and cost England a goal due to being distracted by hurling abuse at a black guy in the crowd, yet still be hailed for a heroic performance full of passion when he cries at the end.

I can't say I didn't laugh reading your post hehe

But I don't share your view quite exactly, you're not so good as a team at this time but you do have some really great individuals, and if some of them shine tomorrow it could be a problem for us. The thing I'm afraid to be honest is that our players will underestimate the English team, as I believe the Croatian and English public are both doing. I certainly hope that won't be the case, because if they do so, Croatia will be defeated. :thumbsup:

I can't say I didn't laugh reading your post hehe

But I don't share your view quite exactly, you're not so good as a team at this time but you do have some really great individuals, and if some of them shine tomorrow it could be a problem for us. The thing I'm afraid to be honest is that our players will underestimate the English team, as I believe the Croatian and English public are both doing. I certainly hope that won't be the case, because if they do so, Croatia will be defeated. :thumbsup:

The only players I could see causing you any problems would be Rooney and Joe Cole. Assuming of course we pass the ball around and let them do their thing and run at the defence. This inevitably means that - as always - the tactic will be hoof it as far as you can and hope one our strikers gets it first. Meaning those two will be rendered completely useless bystanders for the majority of the game. Effectively handing you the game unless you send out a team of drunk snails that have been painted red and white in some mental scheme by Bilić to gain popularity for his band in the animal world.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

The only players I could see causing you any problems would be Rooney and Joe Cole. Assuming of course we pass the ball around and let them do their thing and run at the defence. This inevitably means that - as always - the tactic will be hoof it as far as you can and hope one our strikers gets it first. Meaning those two will be rendered completely useless bystanders for the majority of the game. Effectively handing you the game unless you send out a team of drunk snails that have been painted red and white in some mental scheme by Bilić to gain popularity for his band in the animal world.

Well honestly I do think that we have a better team at the present moment, but that doesn't undermine the fact that you still have some great individuals, will your game be substantially good to allow those players to matter waits to be seen. Again, let me repeat myself for the 100th time, I just hope Bilić and our players won't share the attitude of the English and Croatian public, never underestimate your opponent, never.

And , I believe the team that wants the victory more will in the end get it, English players want revenge, you are not treating us without necessary caution now, that are all factors that go in your favor. I believe this will be a tough match, and of course we have our horses for this game and I'll root for them to run your team over hehe, everybody has a right to cheer for their side. :(

Tomorrow is the Croatia - England game :skull:

I for one am heartily looking forward to another splendid performance from our favourite band of over-paid over-hyped mediocre primadonna losers, and I'm sure you are too. :(

Hear hear!

-Elwood Blues

Curses! Beat Croatia 4-1.

-Elwood Blues

Meanwhile Lithuania has only wins, after playing Romania and Austria.

And Portugal is beating Denmark 1-0 at half-time. Suck it Denmark! What good are your great education systems, great healthcare, better standards of living, more beautiful women and Roskilde, now?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think I'll move to Denmark

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

As I feared, I was correct, our team had the exact same attitude and approach to this game like our media and public, I said to my friend that our defeat began last week, reading the articles in the media and talking to people, not at the beginning of this game. Arrogance and underestimating your opponent leads you nowhere. My congratulations to Fabio Cappello and the English players, your well deserved victory, you not only defeated us but this was utmost humiliation, revenge is yours. :lol:

It depends on the teams involved and circumstances of the game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Is a 4-1 score in soccer considered a humilitating defeat? I admit to ignorance, especially on the international stage, but that doesnt sound that bad.

Well, the score isn't everything, if you have watched the game you would know what I'm talking about, it was a humiliating defeat in all specters of the game.

I salute you for your good grace in defeat. Truly in your case the loss was no humiliation, for your honour is intact.

-Elwood Blues