Best Game Intro

mkreku

Which introduction to a game has left the biggest impression on you? I was thinking about what an impact some of these intro's have, that make you remember the game years after you've actually played it. By intro I mean the usual movie that starts you off, before you take control of your character in the game.

The intro that's left the biggest impression on me is from Gothic (not surprising perhaps):

(The video is actually part of a series of a guy who's recorded his entire playthrough of Gothic)

It's not often you start a game without a name, as a criminal and getting your butt kicked before you've even had control over your character!

The best intro I've seen is probably the intro to Last Ninja 3 on the Commodore 64:

Artistic masterpiece with GREAT music.

Feel free to add your own favourites, preferably with links.. :ermm:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

While I've only ever played the demo, the opening cinematic to Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is awesome.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/8904.html

Blizzard has always produced amazing opening cinematics for the time the game was produced. I was especially amazed by the Diablo II intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kPXdtz_c4

Sometimes, especially after they announced WoW, I think Blizzard should stop making games and make cinematic movies.

Quake III had a pretty sweet intro.

As far as Infinity Engine games go, I think Icewind Dale took the cake. It wasn't flashy, but it had amazing atmosphere that set the tone and feeling of the rest of the game.

Fallout also had an incredible opening cinematic for its time.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You know, I did not think the opening to Culpa Innata was that bad. Sure, it could have been better, but I would not have called it "horrible" - although I played the English and not the German version. :ermm:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

:ermm::-:lol: :lol: damnit! ill need to fix that link to an english version.

(couldnt find a english version on youtube WTF!)

I did find the sequel trailer for Culpa Innata though!!!

Culpa Innata II: Chaos Rising

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Funny, I don't really remember that many game intros, even from games played regularly or recently.

Three that springs to mind would be Fallout, Tombraider (the original) and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. If only because they were unusually elaborate for the time period in which they were released.

I am more likely to remember game endings rather than intros.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ohhhh....the people who've been here a long time will know what I'll say, right? :ermm:

Dungeon Keeper1

Sure it's not all pretty like today's intros...but the fun metal tune and the trolls, man, the trolls!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts