Dead Space Gets Internationally Banned

This game has been hovering on my "somewhat interested" scale for a while, but I must admit from recent previews I've read it looks like it might be a sleeper hit...if it's an indication of a new direction for EA (ie something new and original for a change) that alone will be worthwhile (although they'll probably cripple it with hideous DRM...).

Hopefully EA will release a demo shortly.

A Week Later, Dead Space Ban Situation as Clear as Mud

September 12, 2008

It's been more than a week since the first wave of reports that Dead Space had been banned in Japan, China and Germany hit the web, yet publisher Electronic Arts has failed to provide a definitive answer as to exactly what's going on with the supposed censorship of the game.

That's unfortunate, since EA itself launched the story. The original report was set in motion by a pair of EA community managers for the sci-fi survival-horror game. Here at GamePolitics I have pointed out a number of reasons why the original ban report seemed questionable.

GameCyte now has a post in which Dead Space executive producer Glen Schofield (see him hyping the game's violence level at E3) says that the game has indeed been banned in Japan and "hints at difficulties in Germany and Korea as well..."

With all due respect to Schofield, I still have difficulty believing that the game has been banned in Japan, home of Resident Evil. I'd like to see an official announcement from EA and/or CERO, the Japanese rating organization. Moreover, as GP reported earlier this week, EA doesn't distribute console games in Japan, so only the PC version of Dead Space would potentially be at risk of a ban there.

Also in regard to Schofield's comments, what happened to the original claim of a Dead Space ban in China? Schofield doesn't even mention China. As in Japan, EA distributes no console games there, so at worst there might be a ban on the PC version. But we don't know. Does China even have a game content rating board? Doubtful. Previous bans have been handed down by government agencies such as the Ministry of Culture and the State General Administration of Press and Publication.

And now Germany has morphed from a ban to a hint of difficulties? As to Schofield's comment about a potential ban in Korea, that's a completely new one. Here's the quote from Schofield:

Glen Schofield: Australia is getting the full, complete version. No cuts. We

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Is Japan actually banning the game or is EA just not marketing it over there due to cost vs. revenue? A lot of ultra-gory stuff I've seen comes from Japan and it seems funny that Japan would ban it.

Apparently dismemberment is an issue in Japan, and games are usually modified for release, but dismemberment plays a big part in this game (whatever that means) and so it just gets banned. Basically, gore okay, severed body parts not okay. Still haven't seen anything actually confirming this.

Is Japan actually banning the game or is EA just not marketing it over there due to cost vs. revenue? A lot of ultra-gory stuff I've seen comes from Japan and it seems funny that Japan would ban it.

Apparently dismemberment is an issue in Japan, and games are usually modified for release, but dismemberment plays a big part in this game (whatever that means) and so it just gets banned. Basically, gore okay, severed body parts not okay. Still haven't seen anything actually confirming this.

and this is coming from the country that gave the world the ninja, and the samurai??? and even one of a few that gave the world the nine tails fox??

strange....

meh, dont care not getting it anyway

and anyway

what whatever that means?

dismemberment??

it means cut off a limb

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

• 3 weeks later...
Gone Gold!

So, who thinks DS will be the new enlightenment since System Shock2? Or will it just be another so-so action adventure?

It looks like RE in space with a focus on the action and the gore rather than the thinking and the scariness. So no, my expectations aren't very high.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: