The fun stuff

SirPetrakus

Maybe I'm approaching teh game all differently.

You know there's that bit where you arrange a wedding? I'd been pretty nice to everyone involved and was working my way back up the karma tree. Anyway I sat down and waited for fully five minutes for something to happen. Everyone except the bride had arrived.

Frustrated I quietly slipped out of my seat ['HIDDEN'] and asked my companion for the Fat Man mini-nuke launcher.

Mini-nukes make excellent confetti. As do the guests.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Maybe I'm approaching teh game all differently.

You know there's that bit where you arrange a wedding? I'd been pretty nice to everyone involved and was working my way back up the karma tree. Anyway I sat down and waited for fully five minutes for something to happen. Everyone except the bride had arrived.

Frustrated I quietly slipped out of my seat ['HIDDEN'] and asked my companion for the Fat Man mini-nuke launcher.

Mini-nukes make excellent confetti. As do the guests.

:lol:;):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 2 weeks later...

A few friends and I got together after a long long while for a new session. The outlying farms of a large city are beset by bugbears. The city's guard, quarantined from a plague, is unable to help the farmers outside the walls. The party decides to try and rid the farmlands of the bugbear infestation with little luck, all party members were lvl 1. We dispatched a small patrol or two, but more bugbears remained in their settlement. Well, our barbarian had an amazing idea that ... well, here it is:

Barb: How about we suicide bomb them?

DM : ... Go on ...

Barb: Well, obviously, I'm not gonna kill myself! I'll use the horses.

DM: What do you have in mind?

Barb: Easy, put two gunpowder barrels on each horse, I ride them into the bugbear settlement and have the ranger shoot the barrels with a fire arrow.

DM: And how exactly are you going to ride 6 horses into the bugbear camp?

Barb: I'll be balancing on two of them while holding the reins of two horses on each hand. Then, as we enter the bugbear settlement, I jump off just at the right time to avoid getting blown up.

DM: O_o? Eh, right. Um, disregarding the fact that you aren't skillful enough to drive 4 horses while balancing on two horses, that you have no way of purchasing gunpowder from anywhere close, since the city is quarantined, and that gunpowder is probably not even invented yet ... this is the most awesome thing I've ever heard.

Sadly, we couldn't go through with it in the end =(

One of the classic sequences that I'll always remember..

Custom fantasy world with some elements lifted from Forgotten Realms, city state.. campaign set along the lines of a "try to be political, with everyone playing evil manipulative bastards".

The players :

A High Priestess of Talona (Goddess of Poisons, Diseases, and generally icky stuff)

The Guild Leader of a Thieves/Assassin's Guild.

Agent X - The Minister of Internal Security (played by myself, with a Mantle of the Mundane - so no-one could ever remember my face...)

The situation:

The Guild Leader in a situation of having started a guild war in the streets with a rival guild. The rival guild having connections with the local temple of Mask (god of thieves and the like). He had gone out of his way to bribe a dragon to fly over the city, swoop down, and raze the buildings containing the rival guild and the temple. (Which he'd had some followers mark the rooftops so the dragon would know which buildings to hit..)

To prove what a evil mastermind he was, he invited all the power players in the city to a flash dinner in his mansion (which happened to be on a high point of the city, and gave a wonderful overview of the city). Part of his plan was to time everything so when after dinner drinks were served he could invite everyone out on the balcony just in time to witness the dragons arrival and subsequent demolishing of said buildings... And then just as he mentioned he had something he wanted the guests to see later..

What actually happened:

The Priestess of Talona thinking of doing him a favour had already managed to set up a series of magical time bombs that blew up those very buildings halfway through the main course... Leans over and whispers to him something along the lines of : "I thought you were having trouble, so I figured you could owe me one for dealing with it. Those Mask worshippers were getting on my nerves anyway."

Now picture his reaction :

The dread Guild Leader who commands legions of assassins and faceless killers... jumping up in the middle of dinner.. giving a "Holy Crap! All that money! The magic items I gave the dragon!!.. The buildings aren't there!!"

He paused, he looked around, (out of character he suddenly snapped out "Who don't I like?? I can still paint some more X's!") then he called wildly to one of his minions for a pot of paint.. then took off out of the balcony with some Boots of Springing (really wild jumping skillz) bouncing from roof top to roof top whilst giving a cackling, hysterical commentary of "Crap, Crap , Crap.. I can paint some X's before the dragon gets here! I can! "

Now, for all of the campaign up to that point, that player had been trying to play up the whole cliched, dread and daring assassin leader. Ruthless, cool, using silence to intimidate his minion.....

Everyone else there were just killing themselves with laughter as we watched him totally unwind like that..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sameo

That is one of the greatest things I have ever read.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

That's quite possibly the most awesome story I have ever read.

Big post ahead. TL;DR version:

Sent to kidnap someone. Pretending to be his hooker goes horribly wrong. Decapitating a bartender is not what I meant when I said "Create a distraction". We still manage to complete our mission.

About a month ago I attended a local convention and figured I should probably share some of the things that happened. I ended up spending the whole weekend playing a game called Alpha Omega with a bunch of different people. The first day didn't really have much in the way of memorable moments, but the second day was just pure gold of both the "totally awesome" and the "OMGWTF did you do?" variety. The game is set on earth after a variety of huge apocalypses and emergence of demons/angels which are really aliens. Future tech is all around. The more sessions you played in, the more CDP (XP) you had to allocate to advancing your character.

In the first session we had 6 people.

Myself - Male Human Soldier

Some guy (A) - Female Human Wielder (magic user) with magic lightsaber

Other guy (B) - Male Human Wielder with crazy high magic skills

Woman with sprained ankle

Edited by Deraldin

• 1 month later...
:sorcerer::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sameo

And that, boys and girls, is why you tabletop. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A small recent event, a little '**** yeah!' moment that made me rejoice of the fact that I'm still playing D&D, after 15 years. Playing a Dwarven Favored Soul (lvl 2), I entered a championship in Scornubel to win a prize thta would greatly help my quest, to find a means to resurrect my dead wife. One of the challeneges was extracting a chalice that was hidden in a maze and guarded by a hydra, while also fending off any other combatants. Using my stone cunning, after convincing the DM to let me, in spite of not being underground (^_^), I was able to find a way to the center of the maze where the chalice was.

On my way, I stumbled upon a much higher lvl fighter. Attempting to rush to the Hydra and run off with the chalice ASAP, I really didn't want to fight this guy. My attempts to reason with him failed dramatically (rolled 1s on both Diplomacy and Intimidate checks T_T), even when I threatened to end his life. So we each draw our weapons, he a greatsword and me a warhammer. My luck, though, seemed to take a turn for the better, as I won the initiative check by a hair, thus giving me the chance to charge (2x dmg at the cost of -2 hit/AC). I roll my lucky 20d and surely enough stands on 20, potential critical for my 3x dmg warhammer. Second roll, a 17. Having activated as a free action my strength domain power (lvl+CHA mod to dmg), I hit him for a total of 76 dmg, splattering him against the maze's wall. Being lvl 2 never felt more badass.

I was playing an old campaign again (we picked up our old characters again) and my half-orc barbarian killed a dragon by dropping a boulder on its head. It was fun.

Our wizard put some kind of 'splodey enchantment on it, and it landed on the dragon's eyeball.

Being lvl 2 never felt more badass.

-_- One of the many reasons DnD is epic.

• 2 weeks later...

Different party, different session. I'm the DM. Party arrives in Waterdeep and, surely enough, Skullport is at it again. Beholders, Illithid and whatnot have risen to the surface and are attacking the city. The party decides to wait it out in a back alley (whole group was just lvl 2). However, said back alley opened up to a small square, where a mother and her little girl are cornered by a beholder. Now, my plan was to have a robed, masked wizard (a certain member of the council of Waterdeep come to mind, but I wasn't going to give them spoilers yet :p) pass through, patch things up and leave just as mysteriously. I didn't really have to come to that.

The party's cleric comes up with an idea. Snatches the helmet off the the fighter's head, casts create water in it, hands the helmet to the Barbarian and has him throw the water at the beholder, while the rogue and the ranger distract the beholder from the two civilians. As the beholder turns around, it sees our mage cast ray of frost on the water flying towards it. The water turns into an ice lance and pierces through the beholder's eye, effectively killing it. I was so impressed by my party's innovation and teamwork, I awarded them with a lvl up.

(a certain member of the council of Waterdeep come to mind, but I wasn't going to give them spoilers yet :p)

:) Wouldn't the staff have given it away?

The party's cleric comes up with an idea. Snatches the helmet off the the fighter's head, casts create water in it, hands the helmet to the Barbarian and has him throw the water at the beholder, while the rogue and the ranger distract the beholder from the two civilians. As the beholder turns around, it sees our mage cast ray of frost on the water flying towards it. The water turns into an ice lance and pierces through the beholder's eye, effectively killing it. I was so impressed by my party's innovation and teamwork, I awarded them with a lvl up.

:skull::lol:

(a certain member of the council of Waterdeep come to mind, but I wasn't going to give them spoilers yet :p)

:) Wouldn't the staff have given it away?

You'd think so, but no. They did see the mage and I gave them a very detailed description of the staff, but they still didn't recognise him. I guess they'd expect Khelben Blackstaff to walk around without masks and cloaks, but with a huge neon sign floating overhead, flickering 'I AM KHELBEN BLACKSTAFF' in bright red letters, because he's that bad ass.

:lol: :lol:

It was the most creative use of a 0 level and a 1st level spell I have ever seen. Who knew this combo could be so abusive?

That kind of stuff is why I love roleplaying games, when a player decides to act creatively and use his or her environment to their advantage it really makes me smile. Players need to be less worried about what they cannot do and try to be creative and thinks of new things that they can do. Anyone can say "i hit the guy with my sword" things like creating ice spears out of helmets of water is what this is all about.

It was the most creative use of a 0 level and a 1st level spell I have ever seen. Who knew this combo could be so abusive?
Anyone who saw the first Mortal Kombat movie? :p:lol:

I haven't seen the first Mortal Kombat movie in so long, I can't even recall what that means. :lol: I only remember it had something to do with the fight against Sub Zero?

That kind of stuff is why I love roleplaying games, when a player decides to act creatively and use his or her environment to their advantage it really makes me smile. Players need to be less worried about what they cannot do and try to be creative and thinks of new things that they can do. Anyone can say "i hit the guy with my sword" things like creating ice spears out of helmets of water is what this is all about.

It's a real shame that D&D is so cramped up in the rules that people forget that you can make something yourself. I remember back in the old days of 2E, where I was usually a PC instead of DM, I would body slam my fighter against other warriors, pull rugs and carpets under the guards, lure people out the windows, entrap monsters in walls of water that I would freeze etc. and the game would reward me for doing so. In 3E, you get no bonus for creative thinking, so who needs it?

I haven't seen the first Mortal Kombat movie in so long, I can't even recall what that means. :lol: I only remember it had something to do with the fight against Sub Zero?
Yep, Liu threw a bucket of water at him while Subby charged some sort of frost-sphere.

Yep, Liu threw a bucket of water at him while Subby charged some sort of frost-sphere.

It's a real shame that D&D is so cramped up in the rules that people forget that you can make something yourself. I remember back in the old days of 2E, where I was usually a PC instead of DM, I would body slam my fighter against other warriors, pull rugs and carpets under the guards, lure people out the windows, entrap monsters in walls of water that I would freeze etc. and the game would reward me for doing so. In 3E, you get no bonus for creative thinking, so who needs it?
When we played DA Vampire once (I was GM), the team's Brujah charged a guy and punched him with all his might. The result?

-You punch a hole in the guy.

-I'm still in celerity, I attack the other one.

-You do realize the first one is still hanging from your arm?

BTW, it took 3 years, but we finally thought our regular GM to base his modules on creativity instead of his fixation on One.Single.Way. to resolve it.

I was running a game today and well I thought this was rather funny. (we play a game called Dark Refuge)

All but one of my players are using alien species and the last one is playing a human. One of them is using an alien race that is rather hated and considered illegal as they are natural shape shifters and can steal the form and memories of people they touch. (the version my player is using can steal form but not memories)

Well, his cover was blown and so they went to the one place that his kind were accepted, basically a place where if he could prove that he wasn't a threat where he could live in peace and not be hunted. So they give him three tests,

the first one he had to choose between saving a loved one and exterminating a species (the last remaining egg of the creature is needed to cure her illness) He rolled an emotional control test and failed it horribly causing his character to act impulsively and destroy the egg and cure his wife.

The second test was more straight forward and was a test to see if he would stand and fight to defend his new home against great odds. So the group joined with him and after a fearsome battle they barely came out on top.

The third test is the one that I loved. Not for what I did as GM but what the players did. In this test he was put on trial for screwing over a city state to the south. Now in an earlier game they were suppose to transport a sensitive document to an envoy, the seal was not to be broken or else it would invalidate the documents. The shape shifter impulsively ripped it open and read it before I could finish the description which would inform them that they shouldn't open it. During the trail his lawyer (one of the other players) made an impassioned speech about how he shouldn't be found guilty by reason of incompetence.

Yes his argument was that the other player's character was so stupid that it was the city state's own fault for even allowing him near such sensitive materials and that someone as mentally handicapped as him cannot be held responsible for his own stupid decisions. I personally was so dumbfounded that he was using this argument and so impressed with how he delivered it that i ended up ruling in his favor on the condition that the character defending the shape shifter becomes his guardian from now and and will be responsible for his actions.

I ended the game after that, I will wait for next week to inform them that as he is found to be incompetent he will be unable to leave this asylum without supervision. I love my players the game ended up being so funny.

I haven't seen the first Mortal Kombat movie in so long, I can't even recall what that means. :ermm: I only remember it had something to do with the fight against Sub Zero?

When we played DA Vampire once (I was GM), the team's Brujah charged a guy and punched him with all his might. The result?

-You punch a hole in the guy.

-I'm still in celerity, I attack the other one.

-You do realize the first one is still hanging from your arm?

BTW, it took 3 years, but we finally thought our regular GM to base his modules on creativity instead of his fixation on One.Single.Way. to resolve it.

Well, you see, Vampire is actually built to encourage creative thinking. You WOULD get an experience bonus for doing something inconceivable that actually worked. In 3E, it's only 'kill mob, get XP'. You're not supposed to give out experience for actual role-play. How's that for an RPG?