Gothic 3

Gorgon

I just bought this game, played it for all of 10 minutes, mostly walking around robbing people's chests. This game is not up to par, why was I not warned. I blame you all. I distincly remember a few positive remarks. Are you all on drugs or something.

The physics and animations are mid 90s. Is there a gothic 4. Did I get the old version ..

:thumbsup:

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I played this for about 10 minutes too before it crashed. I didn't bother restarting it & sold it on ebay.

The visuals looked fine, if uninspired. the comparison with Oblivion is unfortunate, though, especially as the folk as Bethesda make a big deal about your ability to customise your character and appearance, whereas Gothic 3 has ... you stuck playing some dude with a beard.

I'm sure it might have been more compelling if i'd stuck with it. But it hardly seemed worth my time.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

Give it a few good hours. It seems clunky at first, and there are indeed some unorthodox aspects to the game. But it looks beautiful on my system (new vigor gaming rig, 9600GT overclocked), and piranha bytes keeps the experience points flowing around just about every corner. Briefly check out a walkthrough so you can understand a few key points in building an effective character (skinning/poaching). Once you get into the swing of things, you'll see what everyone means when they call this game an "unpolished gem."

Don't forget the patches.

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

I just bought this game, played it for all of 10 minutes, mostly walking around robbing people's chests. This game is not up to par, why was I not warned. I blame you all. I distincly remember a few positive remarks. Are you all on drugs or something.

The physics and animations are mid 90s. Is there a gothic 4. Did I get the old version ..

:(

Ah you read some of Mkreku's posts, they're certainly misleading.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

If you give up on a game after 10 minutes, then sure, it's not for you. Move on, trade it in or something. Gothic 3 is not designed for the Halo generation (which is probably why it's much more popular in Europe than in the US). It's meant to be played for 50+ hours, which of course is impossible if you don't like the game to begin with.

It's all about taste, not right or wrong. I don't really care if the physics or animations are from the 90's, that's not where the fun of a game comes from for me, but different strokes and all that. Find another game with better animations and be happy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If you give up on a game after 10 minutes, then sure, it's not for you. Move on, trade it in or something. Gothic 3 is not designed for the Halo generation (which is probably why it's much more popular in Europe than in the US). It's meant to be played for 50+ hours, which of course is impossible if you don't like the game to begin with.

It's all about taste, not right or wrong. I don't really care if the physics or animations are from the 90's, that's not where the fun of a game comes from for me, but different strokes and all that. Find another game with better animations and be happy.

Well the American and European customer base are very very different beasts.

But Morgoth isn't American, and neither am I.

So I believe it's fair to say that Gothic is a extremely niche game. I wouldn't say it's widely hated, its no POR 2. I also wouldn't even say it was a cult classic.

Average... That's an accurate description.

Now that said, you'll always get a random enthusiatic fan, I really like Arx Fatalis for example.

I can quite understand why Gothic assembled such a huge fanbase. Back then, in 1999, such open Ultima Ascension like RPGs were quite a deal. But I think these days, the tastes of the Western World fans have a bit progressed, are a bit more elaborate, thanks to further progress in quality in general. So these open-space medieval like Action RPGs where you wander 100s of hours around just aren't that appealing to me anymore, maybe because I tend to play smoother and faster games with more emphasize on story these days. So I'm not so sure about Arcania (Gothic 4) either. If they don't evolve it beyond Gothic3 or Oblivion, I don't see the purpose of getting excited about it anymore. Same for Piranha. If they don't evolve, they surely won't be able to extend their customer base beyond 12 year old pimple-faced Germans.

Just sayin'

Edited by Morgoth

I can quite understand why Gothic assembled such a huge fanbase. Back then, in 1999, such open Ultima Ascension like RPGs were quite a deal. But I think these days, the tastes of the Western World fans have a bit progressed, are a bit more elaborate, thanks to further progress in quality in general. So these open-space medieval like Action RPGs where you wander 100s of hours around just aren't that appealing to me anymore, maybe because I tend to play smoother and faster games with more emphasize on story these days. So I'm not so sure about Arcania (Gothic 4) either. If they don't evolve it beyond Gothic3 or Oblivion, I don't see the purpose of getting excited about it anymore. Same for Piranha. If they don't evolve, they surely won't be able to extend their customer base beyond 12 year old pimple-faced Germans.

Just sayin'

I wasn't aware Gothic had a huge fanbase... ?

Gothic 3 sold 500k units in Germany alone. That's quite a cake for a PC exclusive these days.

*shruggs* I never knew... But sales don't incur that everyone liked the game.

I don't care about glitzy graphics, I care about quality, continuity, that could just as well be achieved in 2d, but when I see bad combat, bad voice acting and bad d3 all in the first minutes of a game. Well, after I got instagibed by the same giant wasp twice I lost the inclination to restart. Incidentally I also played HALO for 10 minutes and quit, but that's a whole other pile of garbage.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Different folks, different strokes of course, there is no right or wrong, but I will never understand the fawning for Daggerfall either. It's from when 3D could not be anything but mindbogglingly terrible DOS graphics, so, why even try, stick with 2d instead.

Sand boxing is fine, I like not being dragged along by the scruff of the neck trying to catch up with some developer's grand vision of a plot, but if there's nothing else going on the whole exercise becomes pointless.

Shivering isles was actually very good, I dare all the Oblivion haters here to hold it up against Daggerfall.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.