How do I Disable UAC on Vista?

Swxpert

Use the biggest hammer you can find :*

Sorry, I am not at home right now (where my Vista machine is). I'll see if I remember this thread when I get home from work tonight, or better yet, somebody else chimes in with the answer :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mine sits in the following spot:

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control On or Off

At least, thats the one I think it is. Didn't dare change anything because I was so relieved to make it go away.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mine sits in the following spot:

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control On or Off

At least, thats the one I think it is. Didn't dare change anything because I was so relieved to make it go away.

thanx i don't know how it got turned back on or how i forgot how to turn it off

User Account Control is evil and was designed to stop all games from working except the very latest generic Microsoft own-brand fluff.

LOL...

I've never had an issue with UAC and I play games other then "the very latest generic Microsoft own-brand fluff." :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

A better option than disabling UAC is to use TweakUAC and switch it to silent mode. This will keep UAC on but get shot of all the pop ups.

Another way to do this is explained here.

You really shouldn't disable UAC as it really is more than just the annoying pop ups. I used to have a link to somewhere that detailed the various components of UAC but I lost it somehow but what I can remember is that UAC also controls things like IE7's protected mode and links with Windows installer (needed for Windows updates I believe).

Here's a better explanation.

UAC is annoying!

Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this??? Are you sure you wish to run this???

:bat:

That is/was my experience too. It is such a relief when I switch on my old computer and use Windows XP again... even if it sounds like a jet plane taking off. No more Windows telling me where it want me to go, I tell it where *I* want to go ;)

On the contrary. If you're using your computer professionally, it's almost essential to have it turned off.

At least if you're working as a web developer. There are so many things that get messed up by UAC that it's not even funny. Worst example is how it managed to prevent me from getting admin rights in SQL Management Studio (which is a Microsoft Program). Started it (as admin even), logged on with my windows account, and when I got through the logon prompt, I no longer had admin rights, and there was never a UAC prompt.

Because I didn't have the password for the sa account. Nor should I need it because as an admin on my windows account I have all rights I need anyway.

The whole problem in that instance is that the program I launch when I launch Sql Management Studio in turn launches another program, which is the actual studio. And since I can't chose run as admin on a program being launched like that, I didn't have admin rights when I logged in.

That's not the only thing UAC has messed with in regards to development tools. It's a paing when using CMS systems and similar as well.

For an office user that only does word processing and the like, then it's fine.