Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO: Ideas and Discussion Part 1

IMO, PlanetSide failed worse, but its made by the same company.

Well no doubt, they screwed up with a potentially epic Star Wars MMO. They should've packed more development time, and actually listened to what the players were wanting to see in the game. But whatever, same can be said about most games out there.

Somthing really telling about SWG was that it was reviewed twice, Once when it came out (which was broken and wasn't very fun to most of the players), and a second time 2 years ago when they instituted a series of changes that deleted half the classes and made the game more combat oriented rather than crafting oriented.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 weeks later...

After talking with a WoW guildie who is being forced to move to austin for business reasons (he's also involved in the gaming scene, primairly as a tester but he also does design work onstensably) They're apparently going to be asking testers "does this feel like star wars" over and over to the testers to make sure the feel is right. Also they are taking a mass effect-esque take on how the world will work, a huge heap of planets, parts of each on different servers so the thing doesn't collapse, and there will only be one game world/economy/"server". So no being separated from your friends because you were an idiot and rolled up on a central standard time server.

After talking with a WoW guildie who is being forced to move to austin for business reasons (he's also involved in the gaming scene, primairly as a tester but he also does design work onstensably) They're apparently going to be asking testers "does this feel like star wars" over and over to the testers to make sure the feel is right. Also they are taking a mass effect-esque take on how the world will work, a huge heap of planets, parts of each on different servers so the thing doesn't collapse, and there will only be one game world/economy/"server". So no being separated from your friends because you were an idiot and rolled up on a central standard time server.

Thats good to know.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Undoubtedly a KOTOR III RPG singleplayer would be cool, but saying a Star Wars MMO (Not even related to KOTOR III really, just because they mention Revan doesn't mean its related, and the Sith are always related to other Sith so that doesn't count) is going to be bad without first playing it is kind of close-minded. Only a Sith deals in absolutes... remember that. :D

Undoubtedly a KOTOR III RPG singleplayer would be cool, but saying a Star Wars MMO (Not even related to KOTOR III really, just because they mention Revan doesn't mean its related, and the Sith are always related to other Sith so that doesn't count) is going to be bad without first playing it is kind of close-minded.

Well, I don't participate in any pay-to-play online games - I still want to buy the product rather than rent it, so any MMO is automatically bad for me. If it were that the MMO was made to please those who like such games, but would not impact the releases of the single-player games than I would not really care, but if the MMO displaces the single-player games, that makes it bad in my mind. :lol:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes... remember that. :D

I... I... have been slipping lately... lately, I find myself tempted to ... mind control... lure... deceive... and intimidate people for my own benefit...

• 2 weeks later...
Undoubtedly a KOTOR III RPG singleplayer would be cool, but saying a Star Wars MMO (Not even related to KOTOR III really, just because they mention Revan doesn't mean its related, and the Sith are always related to other Sith so that doesn't count) is going to be bad without first playing it is kind of close-minded.

Well, I don't participate in any pay-to-play online games - I still want to buy the product rather than rent it, so any MMO is automatically bad for me. If it were that the MMO was made to please those who like such games, but would not impact the releases of the single-player games than I would not really care, but if the MMO displaces the single-player games, that makes it bad in my mind. ;)

I... I... have been slipping lately... lately, I find myself tempted to ... mind control... lure... deceive... and intimidate people for my own benefit...

I can understand the pay to play philosophy and why you disagree with it, but regardless saying the game itself will be bad because it is multiplayer rather than single is hard to back up.

Well, I don't participate in any pay-to-play online games - I still want to buy the product rather than rent it, so any MMO is automatically bad for me. If it were that the MMO was made to please those who like such games, but would not impact the releases of the single-player games than I would not really care, but if the MMO displaces the single-player games, that makes it bad in my mind. :teehee:

I can understand the pay to play philosophy and why you disagree with it, but regardless saying the game itself will be bad because it is multiplayer rather than single is hard to back up.

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't like the fact that it feels like single player games are being left behind in favor of multiplayer games.

Well, I don't participate in any pay-to-play online games - I still want to buy the product rather than rent it, so any MMO is automatically bad for me. If it were that the MMO was made to please those who like such games, but would not impact the releases of the single-player games than I would not really care, but if the MMO displaces the single-player games, that makes it bad in my mind. :cat:

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't like the fact that it feels like single player games are being left behind in favor of multiplayer games.

True, but many single-player games are still being released. There is still a large single-player game fan-base. I wouldn't fret. People will make games that appeal to all.

I hope the content of that trailer is purely promotional and not actual game content. Jedi Temple getting destroyed & Jedi getting wiped out again? Come on, I want something remotely original instead of another intergalactic war (then again, it's BioWare...).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

here it is

I gotta say, it's a pretty nice cinematic trailer!

Seen that on YouTube, nice cinematic, but if they declared it RPG, I would've busted into the first store that had it and snagged the first copy they had, unlike if they declared it to be some piece of ****. And why the hell do they think theres inappropriate content in that vid, I saw nothing, no nudity, no dongs, no clotheless people, no bikinis, NOTHING.

Edited by Nihilus5078

deicideLogo5.jpg

Sure it's a very nice cinematic, but what does it have to do with the game, I wonder. Is it an intro to the game? It's kind of hilarious, seeing all those Darth Revan & Darth Malak wannabees working out, and the hawt Twi'lek assassin & Mandalorian bounty hunter overextending themselves.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You mean you don't think the video is epic?

I thought it was epic.... :D

Its probably not an intro or anything game-related TBH. I imagine the Jedi need a place in the game to gather and what not, so destroying the temple would be lame. Also, it would also imply Coruscant was conquered. I can't remember if this was the case, if it is, then the trailer is completely plausible.

On a side note: I feel bad for the defeated Jedi who was fighting the Sith who looks a little like Malak. After he gets stabbed he must fall to his knees and watch as Coruscant is bombed and raided. *cries*

But really, all of them looking like Revan might mean they either idolize him or Revan is the Sith emperor. We may never know.

You mean you don't think the video is epic?

I thought it was epic.... :D

Its probably not an intro or anything game-related TBH. I imagine the Jedi need a place in the game to gather and what not, so destroying the temple would be lame. Also, it would also imply Coruscant was conquered. I can't remember if this was the case, if it is, then the trailer is completely plausible.

On a side note: I feel bad for the defeated Jedi who was fighting the Sith who looks a little like Malak. After he gets stabbed he must fall to his knees and watch as Coruscant is bombed and raided. *cries*

But really, all of them looking like Revan might mean they either idolize him or Revan is the Sith emperor. We may never know.

I really dont think Revan had anything to do with this, but yeah, they do look a lot like Revan.

deicideLogo5.jpg

Question about this game...do u start out as a sith or jedi? cuz it said u could make choices about u'r game play....so couldn't tha mean u could change u'r faction?? wouldn't that mess up the factions, etc. or do u start out as neutral, and work u'r way to light/dark, or if u could even stay gray in this new game...and with these game content choices, even if u were a sith, u could switch to jedi, therefore losing contact with u'tr sith/jedi buds...lol im rly interested on how they're goin to have this set up, or even if itll work.

Always knowing the answer doesn't make you smart, but being able to discover the answer does.

Question about this game...do u start out as a sith or jedi? cuz it said u could make choices about u'r game play....so couldn't tha mean u could change u'r faction?? wouldn't that mess up the factions, etc. or do u start out as neutral, and work u'r way to light/dark, or if u could even stay gray in this new game...and with these game content choices, even if u were a sith, u could switch to jedi, therefore losing contact with u'tr sith/jedi buds...lol im rly interested on how they're goin to have this set up, or even if itll work.

the english language took a lot of damage from this...

But from what I understand it's going to be a bit like galaxies in that you start out unaffiliated then pick your side(or have it picked for you based on alignment).