Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO: Ideas and Discussion Part 1

I'm not buying it even if its free-to-play.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I might buy it if it were free to play, but because it won't be, Im not going to buy it.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/916/916529p1.html

God damn it! Now it looks like it'll soon be official.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

You can't take the movie home after it ends, either, when you hit the movie theater and that's $7 for an hour and a half.

And that's why I almost never see films in the theatre! :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The BioWare project is most definitely an MMO. It's been well established that BioWare's Austin office is working on an MMO. Your only hope is that it's not KOTOR (or at least not the same time frame) so that it doesn't completely preclude the possibility of a K3.

I have some hope, though. I kinda think BioWare might be able to pull off an MMO with a good story. I'm sure I'll be trying any Star Wars MMO, but I have hopes that it'll be something worth playing.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

The BioWare project is most definitely an MMO. It's been well established that BioWare's Austin office is working on an MMO. Your only hope is that it's not KOTOR (or at least not the same time frame) so that it doesn't completely preclude the possibility of a K3.

I have some hope, though. I kinda think BioWare might be able to pull off an MMO with a good story. I'm sure I'll be trying any Star Wars MMO, but I have hopes that it'll be something worth playing.

Hopefully it won't sell and EA and LA will lose lots of money for making a stupid error in judgement. People want Kotor 3 not some lame MMO.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Some people must just be inherently Singleplayer fans cheap I guess. have good taste in games.
Fix'd.

Moar fix'd.

The 100 hour/month worth of entertainment is, I think, the way to approach MMOs.

Entertainment? Where? I don't see any.

Entertainment? Where? I don't see any.
Of course you don't see it, silly! You aren't playing!

Right, because I tend to play good games.

Right, because I tend to play good games.
Of course, you play games you like, and you like them because they are good. How clever!

Unfortunately, Catch-22 was written a long time ago. Run along now.

You're missing the point entirely. No MMOPOS that I've played (WoS, Everquest, Ultimata, WAR) have had a single remotely redeeming quality.

You're missing the point entirely. No MMOPOS that I've played (WoS, Everquest, Ultimata, WAR) have had a single remotely redeeming quality.
No, it's you who's obviously missing the point, and I see that making a literary reference that isn't related to crappy SW literature was a wasted effort on my part. The bottom line is that your dislike of MMOs is completely unrelated to their quality, or to the enjoyment other people may derive from them.

Further, you posted that your experience with MMOs was limited to playing "at a friend's" and stuff like that. So your "informed opinion" isn't even worth the electons you are wasting to convey it.

Stop being so butthurt. A MMO is in the works. If you don't like it (how can you like or dislike something that doesn't even exist yet is beyond me), just ignore it. Is it so difficult to understand?

Edited by random n00b

• 3 weeks later...

okay, I'm opening this thread again, but I want to make it clear that it's going to be locked down again the minute I see personal attacks. Warnings will be handed out generously to those involved as well.

Fortune favors the bald.

• 3 weeks later...
Even if Revan does win against the True Sith, there will be always another force user to take up the mantle of Sith Lord and start another sect of Sith.

Even after Vader's and Sidious's Death, there was Luymia and Hett that started their own Sith Orders. Sith are like the Daleks from Doctor Who. No matter how many times the Doctor or the other time lords kill the Daleks, the Daleks always come back in some form.

Also there is three hundred years between KotR and Kotor 2, So The True Sith Empire does have time to rebuild and attack the Republic and Revan still have a victory that cause them to force them to wait 300 years in Kotr storyline.

As for Revan not returning into Known Space, Well Revan is the type of guy would be wise enough to stay low and carry lightly going into known space and into the unknown regions to succed in his plans to Defeat the True Sith.

As for the Sith Emperor not doing the death blow on the Old Republic in Kotr, Revan could have set something up to disable the Sith Emperor or kill him.

Or Maybe there is No Sith Emperor and the Sith Council is really in power and that is why the Sith Emperor is so mysterious.

Personally Revan Vs Ludo Kresseh sounds really epic. Then again I am a Revan fan and Revan kicking ass is always cool in my opinion. That is why I like Kotor 1.

To Calax, I don't have nothing against MMO in general but I do feel that Kotr MMO is really forced and milking the fanboys and yes I am a fanboy of another franchise and I know how it feels to be milked out of my money.

I agree, there are still a plethora of possibilities. People think because Old Republic is int he title that it has everything and anything to do with the KOTOR games,w hen in reality, quite some time has passed.

If you decimate the galaxy and intend to have the players repopulate it with jedi you have to have a peaceful time between the point of decimation and the start of the game. This is why World of Warcraft had to advance 4 years from the end of the frozen throne, in order to allow the relations between Horde and Alliance to believably deteriorate to the point where PVP was viable.

As to the MMO I'm guessing at least some of the quests you will be given will be based around trying to figure out what on earth happened to Revan (not necessarily the Exile as the Exile's impact on the galaxy as a whole was relativly minor and he's probably been forgotten except in a few places, Like Telos.) as Revan was a heroic figure during his lifetime. I'm a little on edge about Bioware making an MMO because while MMO's are a good way to convey a story, you can't make the story too important as most players will simply gloss over it and say "I need lvlz faster! GIMME QUEST!" rather than read quest text. I donno, I think that the inital game will either be ok or a complete dud, and depending on their player base they might actually get MUCH MUCH better at the game.

what I mean by that is that they release the game with a newer combat system and agro table and all of that, assuming the game has enough staying power, I'm guessing that as they get more experienced in programming and designing MMO's the new content will keep getting better and better (which is exactly what happened in City of Heroes, albeit the origional development team is no longer working on that game specifically, they've all been promoted out and NCsoft is taking care of new updates and the like.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guess I will throw in my 2 cents.

First, I remember when WoW was being developed and I remember everyone I knew hated the idea. Yet it is a wildly popular game (and extremely profitable). I assure you if there were postings about WoW during development the attitude would have been similar.

Second, there is to be 350 years between KotOR2 and this MMO. That allows for plenty of time (some 10+ generations) for anything to happen between KotOR2 and the MMO.

Third, I have played WoW and KotOR and KotOR2. It is really unlikely the main target audience for the MMO are fans of KotOR and KotOR2; if they are the main audience the game will fail. KotOR and KotOR2 are so far from real time play of MMOs most hard-core KotOR and KotOR2 fans will be lost in the difference.

Fourth, I would rather BioWare have the MMO, because it will leave Obsidian with the KotOR3 project, and honestly Obsidian did a much better job. I bought KotOR because I thought KotOR2 was so good, and was disappointed; even now I think the interface and variations KotOR2 has is great 3 years after I bought the game.

Ok, now everyone can disagree with me, but I think the MMO will likely be great. Yes, from what I have seen on the site its graphics look goofy and that may kill the game before it starts, but I will likely buy it and try it out anyway. But, I am still going to hold my breath for a KotOR3 from Obsidian (just hope they take a bit more time with the final parts of the plot this time around).

Guess I will throw in my 2 cents.

First, I remember when WoW was being developed and I remember everyone I knew hated the idea. Yet it is a wildly popular game (and extremely profitable). I assure you if there were postings about WoW during development the attitude would have been similar.

Second, there is to be 350 years between KotOR2 and this MMO. That allows for plenty of time (some 10+ generations) for anything to happen between KotOR2 and the MMO.

Third, I have played WoW and KotOR and KotOR2. It is really unlikely the main target audience for the MMO are fans of KotOR and KotOR2; if they are the main audience the game will fail. KotOR and KotOR2 are so far from real time play of MMOs most hard-core KotOR and KotOR2 fans will be lost in the difference.

Fourth, I would rather BioWare have the MMO, because it will leave Obsidian with the KotOR3 project, and honestly Obsidian did a much better job. I bought KotOR because I thought KotOR2 was so good, and was disappointed; even now I think the interface and variations KotOR2 has is great 3 years after I bought the game.

Ok, now everyone can disagree with me, but I think the MMO will likely be great. Yes, from what I have seen on the site its graphics look goofy and that may kill the game before it starts, but I will likely buy it and try it out anyway. But, I am still going to hold my breath for a KotOR3 from Obsidian (just hope they take a bit more time with the final parts of the plot this time around).

K3 won't be developed at least not until the MMO is completly played out. And heres why

Yes the TOR will be taking place 300 years after the Kotor games, but on a galactic scale 300 years is probably just enough time to rebuild after 2 devestating wars in which the Jedi Order was wiped out, the jedi repository of knowledge was wiped out when a dark jedi detonated a cluster of stars near by. Mandalorian and Sith forces attacked corescant, an entire species was wiped off the face of Yavin four. Now the Jedi Order in particular is the problem because 10 generations is enough that you could have a population that is capable of contributing in a sizable way in a war effort, before that? not so much. Add to that the fact that games practically HAVE to have a conflict that is on the galactic scale or has galactic implications, and you get a republic that couldn't hold off a swarm of mosquitos much less an army of Sith. those 10 generations practically have to be used to return the galaxy to "normalcy" otherwise you're forcing the Sith to either be over powered when invading and are stopped only by a deus ex machina that has to have a "only works once" tag attached to it, otherwise you couldn't set up for the conflict in the MMO.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.