Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO: Ideas and Discussion Part 1

According to Wikipedia (ever reliable, I know, but stay with me :w00t: ) Bioware opened a new office in Austin, Texas, dedicated to the MMO. My guess is, in 2004 and when forced to choose, they chose to work with their own IP rather than be beholden to LucasArts. Two years later, with more money around from Elevation Partners (pre-EA), perhaps the choice was no longer necessary - they could afford to do both.

Wow, it is almost a year, isn't it?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wow, it is almost a year, isn't it?

Yes, almost. Interesting that nothing much has happened or even been said about this, isn't it? After all, it was the CEO of EA who allegedly talked about the MMO, not representatives of LA or Bioware (though I suppose we can argue Riccitiello is the latter to some extent...). I have this pet theory that they had put something, anything out on that site only because somebody noticed the name lucasartsbioware.com had been registered.

EA actually has good projects this time of year. They're actually looking less and less like the rich **** of the gaming industry.

Serious post? You sound highly... nevermind. Lets keep this clean o:)

Well check out the Austin store, its hiring experienced MMO players,and alot of other stuff tied to MMO's. I posted the exact link a while back.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

Now that might be because they love the setting and chose the MMO rather than see it handed over to someone else, but it might also be that they have a plan to make it more appealing to single-player RPG fans. :)

If they loved the setting, why did they refuse to do KotOR2 when asked to and instead suggested Obsidian do the sequel? I think they wanted to break into the MMO business where the big bucks of monthly subscription fees are, and with a Star Wars stamp on it, they would be sure to have at least some success with it.

Because they couldn't care less about working on license games anymore?

That's all reason they needed

Yes, I know that Bioware said back then they wanted to work on their own IP, but if that was the reason, then why are they working on a Star Wars project now? Somehow that doesn't quite add up. Something has changed there.

Perhaps the project simply promised to be too lucrative to pass up regardless of the licensing issues.

Im glad some of you realize at least"some" potential of a Kotor MMO, I trust Bioware will work something out, so untill then I wont say anything negative.

MMO's inherently suck when =they're trans-genred games, like WoW or K3 are, so I don't see what potential you see. I love Bioware's games, but if BLizzard couldn't redeem it, no one can.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I have to say that even though I don't personally like WoW, with over 10 million subscribers - it's a HUGE succes. Blizzard definitely did it, we can't argue that.

DITO!

I don`t like the of K3 to be a MMO.(I`m not a MMO fan).

Still,I don`t know why,but think that Bioware eventually won`t call Kotor 3 online,but simply call it Kotor online.This way they could make the true K3 singleplayer.:D(saddley,I don`t know who did a MMO first then made a singleplayer)

You will have to pay monthly why else would they make it a MMO?

I'm trying to understand here how you could be wrong. MMOs are basically cash cows.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Not all MMOs have monthly fees

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Not all MMOs have monthly fees

We're talking about EA and LA here. Of course there's gonna be a monthly fee. By then, though, they probably won't give you any installs without a couple hours of begging. :thumbsup:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 2 weeks later...

I can see many good things coming from it being an mmorpg because if you think about the light and darkside, the two are always in conflict. Yet in Kotor 1 and 2 no matter what side you choose all it does is change how you look. You still fight the same things you would have on the other side, but in an mmorpg there can be a light vs. dark aspect where you can actually find other players of the opposite side and fight them. Fighting a real person definitely helps make the game more variable then if it was a computer programmed to do the same move over and over and over again. It adds a feeling of diversity. Plus who can honestly say that they've never imagined creating an army of jedi to fight an army of sith in an all out war? All I'm saying is a KOTOR mmo couldn't hurt anything but the other mmo games out there.

Well, I always though KOTOR was meant to have been made as ONLY a Single-Player game.

But nowdays, pretty much every company's turning their games into MMO's.

Thank god they haven't done it to Diablo.......

I guess as you said, it's good because The Sith and Jedi are in an endless conflict. :lol:

Just as long as:

-It has a good Storyline to back it up.

-It has the good Star Wars like feeling that KOTOR normally has.

-The combat is the same.

And to people who are wondering whether it will be on Xbox and PS3.

I don't see why not, there is a FF MMORPG on it.

Lvl 50 Sith Lord - For those who don't understand the battle Rolling system. Then for the love of Gygax Gaurdians use a Short Lightsaber in your Off-Hand.

• 2 weeks later...
KOTOR MMO Reveal Coming This Month

According to two separate, British sources, BioWare and Lucasart's Knights of the Old Republic MMO will finally have its first public showing later this month. CVG say it's "set to be 'officially' unveiled later this month", while a writer with British newspaper The Daily Star let slip that they're off "next month to file an exclusive report on the game". Promising. All that's left to do in the meantime is wait, and while waiting, build yourself an intricate series of overblown expectations that the final product can never hope to live up to!

http://kotaku.com/5058398/kotor-mmo-reveal-coming-this-month

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I don't see the big deal with people and MMOs.

Its 15 dollars a month.

If you take a family of three to burger king and actually don't buy crappy stuff, you'll be spending that in one evening.

Its not like you are paying monthly for a game that won't have anythign else done to it either...

Your 15 dollars a month is going towards server maintenance, expanded content, more gear, more quests, more weapons, more balance issues, the creation of expansion packs, etc.

Some people must just be inherently Singleplayer fans I guess.

Its 15 bucks if you go see a movie at the movie theater with another person. (Well, could be cheaper where you live tbh so I actually don't know).

I'm currently subscribed to TWO MMO's (Age of Conan and PlanetSide) for a grand total of 30 dollars a month. When you factor in that each month I get like 100 hours of entertainment out of it, I think its well worth the 30 dollars.

Edited by Albion72

Its 15 dollars a month.

That's $15 that could be used to buy something that I'll be able to play forever without spending another cent. :p

Some people must just be inherently Singleplayer fans I guess.

Exactly. I like either free multi-player or no-multi-player. :-

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Some people must just be inherently Singleplayer fans cheap I guess.
Fix'd.

The 100 hour/month worth of entertainment is, I think, the way to approach MMOs. You can't take the movie home after it ends, either, when you hit the movie theater and that's $7 for an hour and a half. Wow, what a steal!

Don't try to convince anyone, though. If they aren't convinced by now chances are it's like unscrambling eggs.

Edited by random n00b

i wouldn't bother with a paid MMO purely because i don't play my pc often enough for it to even be worthwhile

besides, i already have enough single player i've been meaning to catch up on

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!