Weapons, Armor, and Concealability

I was wondering if weapon and armor concealability was going to be any kind of significant factor in this game. While I do realize, from looking at some of the screenshots, that there are going to be plenty of situations where you go in geared up like a super-soldier decked out in thick armor with a big honkin' assault rifle strapped to your back, I was wondering if there would be other situations that favor a more subtle approach even if you're a combat-oriented spy.

For example, I read in a preview article about a certain scene where you're taking a plane trip somewhere and you strike up a conversation with a passenger sitting next to you. Obviously, you can't just embark on a passenger airliner with obvious armor and an assault rifle. Situations like that would make carrying a pistol or training in hand-to-hand more favorable, as well as wearing an "undercover" protective vest under your shirt if that is (hopefully) possible in the game.

I also thought I read that NPCs will react to you differently depending on how you're dressed. You might be treated differently depending on whether you are in regular "street clothes", high-class suits, or decked out in a armored vest with helmet. From that, I'm extrapolating that carrying obvious weapons might play a role as well. If you've got a pistol discretely tucked away into a concealed holster underneath a leather jacket, you might be able to sweet-talk somebody more convincingly than if you had an assault rifle strapped to your back and an SMG strapped to your chest. Conversely, if your goal is to intimidate someone then that obvious rifle and SMG would actually state your case more prominantly.

Anyhow, this is just more food for thought and something we all can discuss. Maybe a developer could drop by and give us a nice juicey tidbit of info? :sorcerer:

I was wondering about that as well. When I think about what this game could be like my mind tends to go towards Hitman. There's less roleplaying in those games, but the dynamics would be pretty much the same. There's an emphasis on infiltration and obviously there's a lot of security to get past. And unless you're playing the Rambo type you'll need to plant your obvious weapons beyond security checkpoints somehow. There'll be a suitcase tucked somewhere in the level with your shotgun or assault rifle enclosed.

However, we have to keep in mind that this isn't Hitman, in that there will likely be situations that won't be avoidable through subterfuge, there will likely be situations that will be resolvable without any NPC interaction at all, and more importantly you won't be able to change your appearance in the middle of a mission (as far as we know) so we probably won't be able to walk around in broad daylight with or without visible weaponry for good chunks of a mission regardless.

• 4 weeks later...
Weapons, Armor, and Concealability, Showing up to a dinner party with a rocket launcher just won't do

I did that once. Ask me if anyone complained.

:thumbsup:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

Considering immersion in the game world is pretty necessary for what Obsidian seems to be trying to do, especially in a modern spy setting, I strongly suspect that you will be able to walk around with an assault rifle without people noticing. That doesn't fit into the genre.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I donno if a Spy game would do well by having the character carting around heavy ordinance like it was a warzone. I would expect the rocketlaunchers would only pop out on certain occasions or be all together removed as it wouldn't really fit the spy motif.

Yes bond has used an RPG before but usually not unless he was in DEEEEEEEEEP crap.

I donno having heavy artillary be somthing you can get regularly seems like a copout. Spys don't go for rocket strikes, they stick with their hands and maybe a pirated AK.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Most of the screenshots covering gun action show Mike using a handgun. He usually carries heavier weaponry in scenes where all hell has broken loose. I'm guessing you should be armed according to the situation. You wouldn't storm an embassy with an RPG, you wouldn't attack a heavily fortified drug lord's mansion with a butter knife.

What will make it hard is not picking up the weapons your opponents carry. Bad prep could get you killed lots of times.

you wouldn't attack a heavily fortified drug lord's mansion with a butter knife.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There'd better be a 1911, and it had better be useful. That's all I'm saying.

Honestly, there are so many guns based on the 1911 that it would take careful research to include a 0.45 ACP pistol not based on it.

Supposedly the weapons are not actual weapons, but patterned after RL manufacturers. This might be to do with trademark issues. I definitely saw some H&K-inspired stuff in the screenshots.

But, I'm with you in that all weapon types and calibers should be effective. I just went through 30 hours of firing rubber bullets in Far Cry 2 >_<

so we'd get stuff like the KF7 Soviet and the Klobb again? (and the RCP90!)

Your avatar is Gundream?I love this cartoon.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Sechs from Battle Angel Alita: Lost Order

Sechs from Battle Angel Alita: Lost Order

Battle Angel Alita? In China it named Gun Dream.

It's a very attractive and special science fiction world. Maybe someday Obsidian could do some similar RPG~

Edited by bronzepoem

Yeah, lots of western 12 year olds watch naruto!

Naruto Rise of Ultimate Shinogen Ninja RPG!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Er...we know BIOWARE did Jade empires.

Althrough I hardly accept its Western Chinese elements. You know a Chinese archaian girl would never say these dialogue in JD.

But in my view Gundream have very heavy western style, do not like normal japanese cartoon.

Er...we know BIOWARE did Jade empires.

Althrough I hardly accept its Western Chinese elements. You know a Chinese archaian girl would never say these dialogue in JD.

But in my view Gundream have very heavy western style, do not like normal japanese cartoon.

I felt like Jade Empire was more cheesy kung fu flick than anime. Certainly there was no cell shading or such.

Also, by anime I assume we're primarily talking about Japanese anime. I don't think I've ever even heard of Chinese anime. I realize Jade Empire wasn't technically China . . . but who are they kidding?

Battle Angel would be interesting as a western RPG. It'd probably have to be an "action/RPG" rather than your traditional RPG because of the Panzer Kunst Elements. I'd probably try to avoid actually having Alita as the main character and instead have one of her 12 duplicates as the main character who's trying to get out of Alitas shadow.

Or just go back and have it be a prequel with the resourse wars between mars jupiter and saturn.