Kotor3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion Part 26

sigh...

Edit: atlest Bioware and LA agreed with me on the poin that OE made a bad decision of going for "the last of the jedi" thing again, killing off an exiting new era to a close to OT status... from what I gather k2 seems to be almost completley overlooked/reversed in that aspect lol. This sith empire invaded after Revan never returned and they had a bigass war killing thousands of old jedi, and there we go... Congrats on your non canon game OE? Either that or its gonna be a completley lame workaround, 20k jedi hid succesfully. Looking for the last few survivers of a decimated order in k2 is gonna/has lost a bit of its sparkle heh... :p

Edited by Brdavs

sigh...

Edit: atlest Bioware and LA agreed with me on the poin that OE made a bad decision of going for "the last of the jedi" thing again, killing off an exiting new era to a close to OT status... from what I gather k2 seems to be almost completley overlooked/reversed in that aspect lol. This sith empire invaded after Revan never returned and they had a bigass war killing thousands of old jedi, and there we go... Congrats on your non canon game OE? Either that or its gonna be a completley lame workaround, 20k jedi hid succesfully. Looking for the last few survivers of a decimated order in k2 is gonna/has lost a bit of its sparkle heh... :p

Don't see it. It looks like they are completely in line with the story of KOTOR II. There are 300 years between KOTOR II and TOR, that's more than enough time for the Republic and Jedi to return to strength again. In fact, KOTOR II is the basis of the rebuilt Jedi Order.

Still a completely stupid idea, the fact that the design does look like the movie era doesn't help either. There is nothing redeeming about this idea. All they did was use something for the 66454th time. Sadly that stuff wasn't good the first time they tried it.

Edited by Dark Wastl

sigh...

Edit: atlest Bioware and LA agreed with me on the poin that OE made a bad decision of going for "the last of the jedi" thing again, killing off an exiting new era to a close to OT status... from what I gather k2 seems to be almost completley overlooked/reversed in that aspect lol. This sith empire invaded after Revan never returned and they had a bigass war killing thousands of old jedi, and there we go... Congrats on your non canon game OE? Either that or its gonna be a completley lame workaround, 20k jedi hid succesfully. Looking for the last few survivers of a decimated order in k2 is gonna/has lost a bit of its sparkle heh... ;)

Don't see it. It looks like they are completely in line with the story of KOTOR II. There are 300 years between KOTOR II and TOR, that's more than enough time for the Republic and Jedi to return to strength again. In fact, KOTOR II is the basis of the rebuilt Jedi Order.

Still a completely stupid idea, the fact that the design does look like the movie era doesn't help either. There is nothing redeeming about this idea. All they did was use something for the 66454th time. Sadly that stuff wasn't good the first time they tried it.

I'm OK with SOME of the PT elements coming into play (like the JSF-looking fighters), but most of it should have been left out for the PT era. What I don't like is the regurgitation of hackneyed logos (which makes you wonder what all really is new when Palpatine rises to power [in the IU sense]) and elements of the storyline. From the looks of it, it seems that Revan most likely failed, and the Exile is unaccounted for. You can't tell whether Coruscant is a Republic or Sith planet (which, from my initial standpoint is done poorly [i think Coruscant should have been left facing the threat of a Sith invasion and the Jedi Temple should have been left standing]), and it also seems like you have a Republic-in-exile, which is essentially what you had with the Alliance to Restore the Republic. To me, it just seems that the backstory is terrible and filled with a few plot holes - some things are still unaccounted for and you have some newly-created continuity gaps between KOTOR and the PT. It might grow on me, though, who knows...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Look on the bright side people. By skipping ahead 300 years and leaving Revan/Exile fates a mystery there is still hope for KOTOR3. Since the Republic/Jedi were incredibly at the end of KOTOR2, why did the Sith wait 300 years to finally attack? Maybe someone stirred up some trouble there, damaging them so they could not attack for another three centuries... Don't give up KOTOR 3 hope!

I don't see how that is supposed to give hope for a KOTOR III.

Yes, they leave it open, for now, but what purpose would a KOTOR III about that story have?

You know what is happening afterwards, there is nothing really thrilling about that part. Unlike KOTOR and KOTOR II, where you didn't know what lay ahead, everything is set. It would only be a filler, completely unimportant, that's nothing you can base a game on, much less something with as high expectations as KOTOR III has.

This isn't like the prequels, where you also knew the result. In the prequels, the result was unimportant, the way towards it was what mattered. In the case of a game, that simply doesn't work.

I don't see how that is supposed to give hope for a KOTOR III.

Yes, they leave it open, for now, but what purpose would a KOTOR III about that story have?

You know what is happening afterwards, there is nothing really thrilling about that part. Unlike KOTOR and KOTOR II, where you didn't know what lay ahead, everything is set. It would only be a filler, completely unimportant, that's nothing you can base a game on, much less something with as high expectations as KOTOR III has.

This isn't like the prequels, where you also knew the result. In the prequels, the result was unimportant, the way towards it was what mattered. In the case of a game, that simply doesn't work.

Unless that game is to be 100% linear

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Yeah, it works for movies, it works for books and it works for comics. But, for some reason, it can't be made to work for games.

Eh, OK.

Guest The Architect

You can't deny it's different for games, tho. I mean if they made KotOR3 <5 years or so post-KotOR2, you couldn't knock off the "True Sith" enemy in the game because you're facing the same threat in "The Old Republic" game so they weren't defeated, no mention was made of their demise. So how would it work? End the game with the new PC heading off to unknown space?

Yeah that'd just be bloody fascinating, wouldn't it? That's a fresh idea. :thumbsup: And one of the big selling points of the game would've been what happened to Revan, but we know Revan doesn't return so whatever happened, it's pretty safe to say it didn't end well. So no Return of the Jedi like ending in sight or Revan roaming around, laughing and having a good time as the Dark Lord. I doubt the fans even give a **** what happened now. Ditto for The Exile since the same thing happened.

How many role playing games end badly for the PC and the side they align themselves to? And this is a Star Wars setting we're talking about. The PC would just end up going into hiding, getting captured, or killed, or joining the True Sith. I don't see what's wrong with that but I'd be surprised if the general fan base would be as accepting to another anti-climatic, non Star Wars like conclusion.

I hope Obsidian gets to make another KotOR game, though, even if it's set in a new timeline. I think they'd do a brilliant job working with a fresh setting.

Yeah, it works for movies, it works for books and it works for comics. But, for some reason, it can't be made to work for games.

Eh, OK.

You don't play a role in the movies, books and comics, now do you?

As long as you aren't directly involved, this can work. Which is a given in books, comics and movies.

Games are completely different. Where is the sense in playing something if the result doesn't matter?

The ending has to be of importance, especially in a game that would close out such a trilogy. In KOTOR you have to save the galaxy, or conquer it, in KOTOR II you have to stop the Sith, get the Jedi Order back running and have the true Sith looming in the background. There is a reason to fight in those games, if you didn't the galaxy would be screwed. In such a KOTOR III, it doesn't matter what you do, you can't win. There is no purpose.

Guest The Architect

Well maybe they could just bite the bullet and end KotOR3 in disaster, so there's no chance of any continuation eventuating from the saga of Revan, The Exile and the new PC. I'd rather that happen than have no KotOR3 at all, but the latter appears far more likely, which is too bad.

Well maybe they could just bite the bullet and end KotOR3 in disaster, so there's no chance of any continuation eventuating from the saga of Revan, The Exile and the new PC. I'd rather that happen than have no KotOR3 at all, but the latter appears far more likely, which is too bad.

Yeah;thats true.I definitely hope some day there will be K3.Why doesn't Obsidian develop it?

You don't play a role in the movies, books and comics, now do you?

As long as you aren't directly involved, this can work. Which is a given in books, comics and movies.

Games are completely different. Where is the sense in playing something if the result doesn't matter?

The ending has to be of importance, especially in a game that would close out such a trilogy. In KOTOR you have to save the galaxy, or conquer it, in KOTOR II you have to stop the Sith, get the Jedi Order back running and have the true Sith looming in the background. There is a reason to fight in those games, if you didn't the galaxy would be screwed. In such a KOTOR III, it doesn't matter what you do, you can't win. There is no purpose.

Hahaha. I think you need to replay, well, just about any "RPG" out there, and that considering they are the games that supposedly offer you the most freedom of action and intent.

And then tell me how those games provide any sort of chance to affect the story in a way the player wants, as opposed to what's supposed to happen. Wow, just like in any other medium with a predefined plot! The player is ALWAYS caught in the narrative, and it's simply not possible to escape it. Unless it's a sandbox game, but then there's no narrative to speak of. The only difference between the media I spoke of and video games is the perspective from which the spectator (player, in this case) experiences the narrative. Everything else is just fluff and fake and/or trivial choices thrown in to give a false sense of immersion.

So, yeah.

What do you mean that you would not be able to accomplish anything? The end of KOTOR 2 is set up for the True Sith to invade the Republic since the Republic is just about dead anyway and the Jedi Order nearly non-existant. The only reason they would have been delayed 300 years in which the Republic recovered would be if Revan/Exile accomplished something in the Sith Empire. You can't realistically expect that they destroy all of the Sith by themselves, so instead they just caused enough problems that the Sith were not able to attack for another 300 years. There's plenty of potential for what happened there.

After this MMO announcement, does this mean a KOTOR III is long gone from our sight? I want to know the story, not raid stupid Sith bosses or anything - I despite MMO games. But really, I'll support WoW to knock out this MMO.

TSLRCM, the mod that Wookieepedia doesn't want you to know about:

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4